PDA

View Full Version : "Best" Tubeless Ready 25-28mm Tire?

Dromen
04-27-2019, 08:35 AM
What is your favorite tubeless ready road tire and a brief why?

The 25-28mm 700c variety.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

ryker
04-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Today it's the Schwalbe Pro One. Best feel, good grip, foolproof tubeless setup.

palincss
04-27-2019, 10:20 AM
Is there any point to setting up a 25-28mm tire tubeless?

charliedid
04-27-2019, 10:43 AM
Is there any point to setting up a 25-28mm tire tubeless?

No tubes!

SoCalSteve
04-27-2019, 11:51 AM
I’m not running them tubeless, but the S-Works Turbo 700 x 28 is a really nice tire.

thwart
04-27-2019, 11:54 AM
Jan Heine, FWIW this is from a couple of yrs ago:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/05/29/the-trouble-with-road-tubeless/

Kirk007
04-27-2019, 12:30 PM
IRC - take your pick which version based on what you're looking for. Ride well, wear well, install has been easy on my wheels.

Duende
04-27-2019, 01:21 PM
Fwiw, I’m no tubeless expert... but I’m coming to the understanding that tubeless for these skinnier tire sizes is probably suited more for lighter riders.

I’m 200 plus and had trouble getting my 28mm to seal after getting a puncture. The sealant just kept spraying all over my bike. Wasn’t a massive puncture either. Just a point of note.. my .02... YMMV.

slambers3
04-27-2019, 04:33 PM
really depends on intended use. I've been rolling on tubeless road tires since '14, and have tried a lot of different TLR tires. These are a few that i've had decent success with. YMMV

Racing/performance...can't beat Schwalbe pro-1. Very grippy in the corners, seem to roll fast. In my experience, they cut/puncture easily, so i probably wouldn't recommend for urban riding.

Panaracer Race A Evo3: Very difficult to get on the rims. Rode them about 3000mi, never flatted. Sold the wheels to a friend, he still hasn't flatted them. Excellent tire once installed.

Hutchinson Secteur: decent mix of performance/durability. I'll add an asterisk to this because I crashed while riding a turn in the wet on these on a corner i'd ridden a hundred times.

Hutchinson intensive: you probably won't puncture, but I wouldn't race these.

It seems Vittoria has updated the Corsa line with TL compatibility. I'd be very interested in the Corsa Control TLR in 25 or 28mm.

Matt92037
04-27-2019, 06:56 PM
I went through 3 sets of Pro Ones (x1 25m and x2 28mm). I loved how they rode but I could not get past the fact they wore really fast and punctured/cut easily.

I am back on 4000S right now and have had zero durability issues. Really interested in trying the 5000S tubeless.

mktng
04-27-2019, 07:25 PM
Currently running a set of Vittora Corsa tubeless 700x25. Same quality and feel as the Clincher non tubeless Corsas I've been so used to for the past two years.

But tubeless..

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

ergott
04-27-2019, 08:15 PM
Another nice "race" level tire is Zipp. I have those and they are similar to Schwalbe so far.

Dromen
04-27-2019, 10:30 PM
I went through 3 sets of Pro Ones (x1 25m and x2 28mm). I loved how they rode but I could not get past the fact they wore really fast and punctured/cut easily.

I am back on 4000S right now and have had zero durability issues. Really interested in trying the 5000S tubeless.Matt,
Did your sealant take care of the punctures?

Dromen
04-27-2019, 10:34 PM
Currently running a set of Vittora Corsa tubeless 700x25. Same quality and feel as the Clincher non tubeless Corsas I've been so used to for the past two years.

But tubeless..

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using TapatalkMost curious about the TLR Corsa and Conti 5000. Anyone with some real life experience on the tubeless version of the 5000?

bianchi10
04-27-2019, 10:57 PM
I’m not running them tubeless, but the S-Works Turbo 700 x 28 is a really nice tire.

I have been using Vittoria corsa G+ basically since they came out. Wanted to try these S-works Turbo 2Bliss ready tires, so I bought a set of 28mm. Had the most frustrating time mounting them. No matter what I did, I could not get them to mount perfectly balanced. In the bike stand, when I spun the tire it would have a slight wobble to it. Tried them on the rollers and it was like riding on warped cylinders. I mounted these tires 9 times and 9 different ways! Rotated tires, shifted tires on rim, swapped rim, tried new tubes, tried 18/25 tubes, tried 20-28mm tubes, tried some dish soap thinking maybe it wasn't sealing properly, tried pumping up to 120psi, tried 60psi....ugh. put my Vittoria corsa's back on and perfectly balanced. Brought them to my LBS to confirm that I wasn't crazy. They also could not get them mounted without a wobble. So they warrantied them and gave me another set. same problem though. Returned them, got my money back and ordered some Vittoria corsa 2.0 28mm which also happen to be tubeless ready clinchers.

was genuinely one of the most frustrating days I've ever had working on my own bike. Was close to throwing an Enve across my garage lol

bigbill
04-27-2019, 11:38 PM
I've been using road tubeless for almost two years with 25mm tires and I'm well north of 200#. I've had one puncture that spewed sealand briefly and then sealed. I carry a frame mounted minipump so I can put some air in the tire if it took more than a few seconds to seal.

What kind of stuff is causing punctures that won't seal? A cut tire doesn't matter if it tubeless or not, but for the standard small shards of glass, pieces of wire from truck tires, and other small stuff, it should seal as long as the rider ensures the tire still has some liquid sealant. I put an ounce in every three months but I live in the desert. I still carry tubes in my bag to get home but at this point I'm more concerned about them dry rotting.

Dromen
04-28-2019, 04:52 AM
I've been using road tubeless for almost two years with 25mm tires and I'm well north of 200#. I've had one puncture that spewed sealand briefly and then sealed. I carry a frame mounted minipump so I can put some air in the tire if it took more than a few seconds to seal.

What kind of stuff is causing punctures that won't seal? A cut tire doesn't matter if it tubeless or not, but for the standard small shards of glass, pieces of wire from truck tires, and other small stuff, it should seal as long as the rider ensures the tire still has some liquid sealant. I put an ounce in every three months but I live in the desert. I still carry tubes in my bag to get home but at this point I'm more concerned about them dry rotting.Bbill,
Can you comment on the tires you've experienced with the major likes/dislikes?

Matt92037
04-28-2019, 06:34 AM
Not every time. I find a big difference in how MTB and road tires seal. My MTB.tires have not once had an issue sealing where my road tires typically do. The difference lies in the air pressure (26lbs or less vs 80lbs on the road bike).

Every puncture on my road bike started off like it was was an aerosol can spraying orange seal everywhere at 80psi. If going down a hill, by the time I could stop most of the sealant had sprayed out. Once the air pressure dropped to the 30lb range and the cut/hole had a little time to dry I could usually get the tire to hold pressure up to 45lbs which was enough to allow me to limp home if I was close enough. Otherwise I would throw a tube in. I had many occasions where I had a smallish cut that could not seal under any circumstances.

I just think sealant has a much harder time doing its job when tire pressure gets over 45-50psi.

One thing I didn’t use that I will next time I venture to tubeless will be tire plugs. I think they will make a huge difference sealing punctures + allow me to air back up to a higher pressure.

I still think many of the cuts/punctures on the Pro Ones May not have happened on the 4000s.

Matt,
Did your sealant take care of the punctures?

R3awak3n
04-28-2019, 06:43 AM
I was looking into this and I am also north of 200. A lot of companies don't rec running anything over 65psi which on a 25mm tire is not going to work for me. I was looking at 32mm tires and I can run those closer to 65, ended up going with spesh 2bliss and they say max on tubeless is 90 I think. I run them at 70-75 and they have been fine.

While I was researching, schwalbe seemed the be the one that was fine with higher pressures or smaller tire sizes. Knowing how tubeless sytems works, I understand why higher pressures and tubeless doesnt seem to be a great idea, I really would not want a tire blowing off the rim.

earlfoss
04-28-2019, 06:59 AM
Schwalbe One seems to be the standard for TLR. I've been racing and training on them for the past 2 seasons and they're great.

I'm doing Belgian Waffle Ride May 5th, and decided I'd throw some of the new Vittoria Corsa Control TLR 30mm on my wheels. Holy smokes, the ride blows my Schwalbes out of the water. I might be running these the rest of the season. I'm really impressed.

quattro
04-28-2019, 07:27 AM
Hi, wondering if anyone has any experience running Giant Gavia AC 0 TLR tubeless ready tires. They came mounted on my Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 , been riding them now for about 150 miles, wondering if anyone has long term experience. Also if anyone has had experience replacing these tires on a Giant SLR 0 carbon fiber 42mm wheel set. What tires do you recommend that mount without problems.

Thanks,
quattro

Duende
04-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Not every time. I find a big difference in how MTB and road tires seal. My MTB.tires have not once had an issue sealing where my road tires typically do. The difference lies in the air pressure (26lbs or less vs 80lbs on the road bike).

Every puncture on my road bike started off like it was was an aerosol can spraying orange seal everywhere at 80psi. If going down a hill, by the time I could stop most of the sealant had sprayed out. Once the air pressure dropped to the 30lb range and the cut/hole had a little time to dry I could usually get the tire to hold pressure up to 45lbs which was enough to allow me to limp home if I was close enough. Otherwise I would throw a tube in. I had many occasions where I had a smallish cut that could not seal under any circumstances.

I just think sealant has a much harder time doing its job when tire pressure gets over 45-50psi.

One thing I didn’t use that I will next time I venture to tubeless will be tire plugs. I think they will make a huge difference sealing punctures + allow me to air back up to a higher pressure.

This pretty much echos my experience as well.

bigbill
04-28-2019, 08:49 AM
Bbill,
Can you comment on the tires you've experienced with the major likes/dislikes?

Schwalbe Pro Ones and Panaracer Race A's. The Schwalbe's profile out bigger for a 25mm but both have been durable. I run 85 rear, 80 front.

I just found the whole tubeless road thing to be a non-event. It comes down to what causes your flats. In NE Texas it was tiny pieces of wire from blown trailer tires. Out here in NW Arizona, it's goatheads and other thorns. My road tires have brown spots which are thorns that have punctured, sealed, and smoothed off. Last fall I pulled off a Panaracer that had worn to the casing and it had all kinds of stuff in it but it never flatted.

Kirk007
04-28-2019, 09:48 AM
Gonna repost my earlier response: I run between 210 and 225 depending and have used both Schwalbe one and IRC - roadlite, forumula, in 23s and 25s successfully with sealant. On Boyds and Zonda c17s they grow out to 25 and 28 respectively. IRCs have been, in my experience, more durable, less prone to cuts and holes than the the Schwalbe and give up little if anything in road feel. I started using them after reading and then talking with Tom Kellogg, who recommended them.

I have had one tire that had two big a hole to seal (prior to me being aware of plugs). I don't use them all the time as I also use regular old clinchers and tubulars, but they will be a major part of the rotation this summer.

I run them at between 80-90 psi. The roadlites wear like iron.

djg21
04-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Fwiw, I’m no tubeless expert... but I’m coming to the understanding that tubeless for these skinnier tire sizes is probably suited more for lighter riders.

I’m 200 plus and had trouble getting my 28mm to seal after getting a puncture. The sealant just kept spraying all over my bike. Wasn’t a massive puncture either. Just a point of note.. my .02... YMMV.

I’m over 200lbs and run the new Conti gp5000 TL tires tubeless. They feel much like Conti tires with latex tubes. I use slightly less pressure than I do with tubes. The benefit is no snakebite flats as far as I’m concerned. I’ve ridden on them for about a month with no issues. I use about 30ml of Conti sealant. I’ve never had an opportunity to see if it works.

Dromen
04-28-2019, 11:58 AM
I’m over 200lbs and run the new Conti gp5000 TL tires tubeless. They feel much like Conti tires with latex tubes. I use slightly less pressure than I do with tubes. The benefit is no snakebite flats as far as I’m concerned. I’ve ridden on them for about a month with no issues. I use about 30ml of Conti sealant. I’ve never had an opportunity to see if it works.Thanks Dig,
A 200 what pressure are you running front and back and what size?

djg21
04-28-2019, 12:00 PM
Thanks Dig,
A 200 what pressure are you running front and back and what size?

25c on HED Belgium+ rims. I’ve been using 100-105 lbs pressure.

Dromen
04-30-2019, 12:05 PM
Any trouble with the install?

25c on HED Belgium+ rims. I’ve been using 100-105 lbs pressure.

rides2slow
04-30-2019, 01:35 PM
Are all of you using rims/wheels specifically made for tubeless tires?
Thanks.

jtbadge
04-30-2019, 01:37 PM
Are all of you using rims/wheels specifically made for tubeless tires?
Thanks.

If you try and run high pressure road tubeless on rims that aren't designed for tubeless, you're going to have a bad time. Dangerous.

Low pressure MTB/cross usage is one thing.

djg21
04-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Any trouble with the install?

No. I install the tire without sealant first to set the beads. I do use a compressor. Once the tire is fully installed, I deflate, remove the valve cores, and inject sealant. This keeps the mess to a minimum.

The hardest part was stretching the tires onto the rim. It took some elbow grease and the use of tire irons.

Dromen
04-30-2019, 02:11 PM
If you try and run high pressure road tubeless on rims that aren't designed for tubeless, you're going to have a bad time. Dangerous.

Low pressure MTB/cross usage is one thing.

Have experienced problems w/non-tubeless rims setup with tubeless tires on my gravel bike running at 35-45psi, so won't do that again.

Dromen
04-30-2019, 02:14 PM
No. I install the tire without sealant first to set the beads. I do use a compressor. Once the tire is fully installed, I deflate, remove the valve cores, and inject sealant. This keeps the mess to a minimum.

The hardest part was stretching the tires onto the rim. It took some elbow grease and the use of tire irons.

djg21,
Did beads stay seated after deflating? Probably depends on rim profile but have heard of beads sliding to middle after deflating making for a messy sealant install process. (I have had good luck w/tubeless setups on my Belgium+ rims - the 5000s are planned for TLR Roval CLX wheels)

djg21
04-30-2019, 02:23 PM
djg21,
Did beads stay seated after deflating? Probably depends on rim profile but have heard of beads sliding to middle after deflating making for a messy sealant install process. (I have had good luck w/tubeless setups on my Belgium+ rims - the 5000s are planned for TLR Roval CLX wheels)

No. After beads were seated, they were fine. As I said, I then removed valve cores and I injected sealant with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/American-Bleed-Solutions-Tubeless-Injector/dp/B07N7ZTH5Q/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_468_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=T4FF7HMMRQRJ5BYR5Z7X

sfo1
04-30-2019, 07:01 PM
I just set up some GP5000 tubeless on a road disc wheelset. Was expecting challenges but was super easy. First bead went on by hand, second one almost by hand. Once on rim, they snapped into place. Pulled core and inflated w/hand pump to 80 psi. It held solid. Deflated and put in about 2oz of orange sealant and re-inflated. Zero issues. Highly recommended.

rides2slow
04-30-2019, 07:27 PM
Thanks. Been running tubeless MTB for years and always wanted to try on the road bike.

Dromen
04-30-2019, 09:44 PM
I just set up some GP5000 tubeless on a road disc wheelset. Was expecting challenges but was super easy. First bead went on by hand, second one almost by hand. Once on rim, they snapped into place. Pulled core and inflated w/hand pump to 80 psi. It held solid. Deflated and put in about 2oz of orange sealant and re-inflated. Zero issues. Highly recommended.

sf01,
what wheels/rims?

sfo1
04-30-2019, 10:17 PM
http://www.tokenproducts.com/images/flexicontent/m_konax-pro-disc_203x310.jpg

Token Konax Disc Pro

sf01,
what wheels/rims?

Dromen
05-01-2019, 08:17 AM
http://www.tokenproducts.com/images/flexicontent/m_konax-pro-disc_203x310.jpg

Token Konax Disc Pro

Thx fs. Nice looking wheels

SoCalSteve
05-01-2019, 09:33 AM
I have been using Vittoria corsa G+ basically since they came out. Wanted to try these S-works Turbo 2Bliss ready tires, so I bought a set of 28mm. Had the most frustrating time mounting them. No matter what I did, I could not get them to mount perfectly balanced. In the bike stand, when I spun the tire it would have a slight wobble to it. Tried them on the rollers and it was like riding on warped cylinders. I mounted these tires 9 times and 9 different ways! Rotated tires, shifted tires on rim, swapped rim, tried new tubes, tried 18/25 tubes, tried 20-28mm tubes, tried some dish soap thinking maybe it wasn't sealing properly, tried pumping up to 120psi, tried 60psi....ugh. put my Vittoria corsa's back on and perfectly balanced. Brought them to my LBS to confirm that I wasn't crazy. They also could not get them mounted without a wobble. So they warrantied them and gave me another set. same problem though. Returned them, got my money back and ordered some Vittoria corsa 2.0 28mm which also happen to be tubeless ready clinchers.

was genuinely one of the most frustrating days I've ever had working on my own bike. Was close to throwing an Enve across my garage lol

My experience was nothing like yours, save losing a bit of skin on my left thumb while mounting them. But, I think most tires going on the very first time gives you a good fight for your money.

As far as wobbling, not at all. Sorry that you had such a bad day! Very frustrating, I’m sure!!!

kppolich
05-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Zero issues with both on HED+ rims setup tubeless.
Schwalbe Pro 1 700x25 - super easy to mount, setup very plump.
Continental GP500 TL 70x28, more difficult to mount. Runs very true to size. I'd let them sit in the sun for a while or in a pile of warm towels out of the dryer and they went on fine. I did soap the bead to help myself out and help everything snap into place.

jfranci3
05-01-2019, 11:12 AM
What is your favorite tubeless ready road tire and a brief why?

The 25-28mm 700c variety.

Thanks in advance.

I've tired:
1) Pro One - Great but don't seem to seal well. For some reason, probably conditions and goo, these seem to take forever to seal when breached. They'll get poked whenever it is wet out. Don't ride as well as others. Fit a size larger than indicated.

2) Hutchinson 11Storm Galktikcon something - wore out super quick. ~700mi IIRC when I get ~3000mi out of a GP4k or Pro One. I only knew the tire was worn because I saw a patch of orange goo, it sealed a 3in long section of casing that had lost it's rubber. The ride better than GP4k and the Pro Ones. Wonky transition to the main rubber to the sidewalls in cornering. True to size

3) G-One Speed - 30c Great so far. Seem just as fast as 25c tires above.

Gravel
1) Gravel King SK - 35/38/43c Great, don't roll as fast as they should. These roll about 1-2mph slower than road tires in my experience. True to size.
2) Clement / Donnelly USH - 35c Not tubeless, wouldn't mount tubeless on a Stans rim. 120tpi versions don't roll as well as GKs. These are about 2mph slower than road tires, way slower off road compared the GKs - likely due to the higher pressures needed.

In my view, all the talk around tubeless is bigger than the experience. Most people once they try it have a "That's it?" experience. It's a tire without a tube, with a valve stem and tape, with goo - that's it. It works great, particularly with heavier folks on road tires. Tubes should go the way of the tubular tire.

Tires aren't the thing to talk about in my eyes.
The better question is which goo works best with high pressures, wet conditions, and stays liquid the longest?
I've tired Stans and Orange. Stan didn't work for me in the wet. Orange is better all around.

Which valves don't stick? I haven't had any luck here. You either need to inflate the line to 170psi before it opens or remember to prepress it.

Any nice stems? I've tired the E-Thirteen ones, but these don't work well with some pump heads at high pressure.

Dromen
05-02-2019, 10:12 AM
Folks,
Thanks for all the valuable info. Based on my read, over tubed clinchers i will gain a couple watts of power, reduce some psi for added comfort, improved puncture protection with potentially sketchy initial setup....think im sticking to tubes. Only real perceived advantage for my riding style is the increased flat protection and i just dont suffer many flats as my preferred tires have some puncture protection built in.

Add in the fact my current inventory of road tires sits at 12, or is it 20, sticking with the tried and true. Anybody need any Michelin Pro4s:):):)

Thanks again,
Steve