PDA

View Full Version : OT: Paceline Classified Equivalent Forum for Buying Digital Cameras?

tlarwa
04-26-2019, 06:08 PM
I’m looking to buy a decent compact mirrorless digital camera for use on my travels (bye, bye iPhone camera), and figure I can get more for my money buying used. It’s worked for me with bikes and bike parts for a lot of years, so I figure it should be a similar market for cameras. Does anyone know of reputable forums, kind of equivalent to our own classified forum here?

kppolich
04-26-2019, 06:14 PM
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

RobJ
04-26-2019, 06:14 PM
I’m looking to buy a decent compact mirrorless digital camera for use on my travels (bye, bye iPhone camera), and figure I can get more for my money buying used. It’s worked for me with bikes and bike parts for a lot of years, so I figure it should be a similar market for cameras. Does anyone know of reputable forums, kind of equivalent to our own classified forum here?

FredMiranda.com by far! Been a member there for a long time and it has a great classified section with feedback etc. Regular forums there to are excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlarwa
04-26-2019, 06:23 PM
I’ll check it out ... thanks!

yinzerniner
04-26-2019, 06:28 PM
I’ll check it out ... thanks!

I've had good luck with FM, DPReview, and even different FB groups.

If you don't mind going the retail route KEH is a great resource. Pricing is not that much different than peer to peer from what I've seen.

B&H is great when they have specials and have the best customer service I've ever used, but pricing is high unless you get the item as a sale. They happen pretty often, but you have to keep an eye out.

EliteVelo
04-26-2019, 06:37 PM

Doesn't answer your question, and not sure how much you want to spend, but Fuji just came out with the XT-30. It's a fantastic compact, mirrorless camera. Worth a look vs used.

tlarwa
04-26-2019, 06:43 PM
Doesn't answer your question, and not sure how much you want to spend, but Fuji just came out with the XT-30. It's a fantastic compact, mirrorless camera. Worth a look vs used.

That’s actually one on my watch list right now. The reviews are great. At the top of my budget, but may be worth it. Plus I like the retro look of the Fujifilm cameras.

EliteVelo
04-26-2019, 06:46 PM
That’s actually one on my watch list right now. The reviews are great. At the top of my budget, but may be worth it. Plus I like the retro look of the Fujifilm cameras.

Just bought an XT-3 and the kit lens is great. You won't be disappointed. If you go that route, make sure you get an extra battery.

Mr. Pink
04-26-2019, 07:59 PM
Just bought an XT-3 and the kit lens is great. You won't be disappointed. If you go that route, make sure you get an extra battery.

And a fuji battery, not a cheap knockoff from, I guess China, on Amazon. Be warned. Junk.

Jeff Weir
04-26-2019, 08:11 PM
Fuji XT-30. Great camera at a fair price. Start with the kit lens and see where you want to go from there.
One step at a time

Mr. Pink
04-26-2019, 08:32 PM
Yeah, my philosophy is to buy new, but not the most expensive camera in the lineup, because, although the advancement of these cameras has slowed over the last decade, they still are advancing, getting better and better, making the older models obsolete sooner than you think. You buying yesterday's tech if you're buying used. I owned Fuji XE-1 for about four years, great value, but, when they came out with a better sensor, I moved up to an XT-20, the cheaper and smaller (that's important in my book) version of the XT-2. Same sensor and lenses, so, really, that's all I want, a really good sensor in an affordable pckage. When Fuji comes out with a 45-50 megapixel small camera, that's when I get a new body. Hopefully, soon, they can shrink both the size and price of their medium format cameras. I'm thinking that in five to ten years they'll meet in the middle somehow.

I tell you, though, my Pixel 2 phone takes awesome pictures. That market is killing the small camera market. Not there yet, though.

EliteVelo
04-26-2019, 08:54 PM
And a fuji battery, not a cheap knockoff from, I guess China, on Amazon. Be warned. Junk.

Agreed. Fuji only. I bought the vertical battery grip which holds 2 extra batteries and while it adds bulk, the functionality is fantastic.

gavingould
04-26-2019, 09:00 PM
didn't know so many were into Fuji here. guess if i sell some of my camera stuff i'll list it here too...

tlarwa
04-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Fuji XT-30. Great camera at a fair price. Start with the kit lens and see where you want to go from there.
One step at a time

Good advice. I’m a camera newbie. The last new camera I bought other than a small point and shoot to carry in my bike bag was a Nikon SLR back in the early 90’s! But we are traveling more (just got back from Ireland) and I really enjoy doing the whole travelogue thing. Not to mention I have a grandson on the way (my first), which will require pictures. I’m sure I’ll get into more if I buy a decent camera. It’s not my MO to get into a hobby half way (a look at my audio listening room will attest to that).

mtechnica
04-26-2019, 09:32 PM
Fredmiranda or POTN. POTN is pretty great actually.

pbarry
04-26-2019, 09:49 PM
Kenrockwell.com is an excellent and unbiased resource for buying and using cameras. Here's his take on why the X-T20 is almost as good but costs far less than the X-T30. https://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-t20.htm

mhespenheide
04-27-2019, 12:04 AM
Ah, that's a little like saying Bicycling Magazine is a good source of information on buying and riding bicycles. Both have their uses, but Ken Rockwell isn't at the level of Peloton or Rouleur or Bicycle Guide.

Llewellyn
04-27-2019, 01:09 AM
Pentax Forum is great for Pentax gear....and yes Pentax is still in business in spite of what most shop staff will tell you.

Llewellyn
04-27-2019, 01:12 AM
Kenrockwell.com is an excellent and unbiased resource for buying and using cameras. Here's his take on why the X-T20 is almost as good but costs far less than the X-T30. https://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-t20.htm

Ken Rockwell unbiased :eek::eek: Yeah right!! And then there's the constant begging about helping to feed his family spread throughout everything that he writes. Probably one of the most irritating people on the internet

charliedid
04-27-2019, 07:15 AM

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4385125

You can find a like new X-T1 and a kit lens for very little money. There is a body with warranty on DPreview for $400 right now. I (might) even sell you my kits lens. Worth a look IMO

colker
04-27-2019, 08:24 AM

I have the old X30 and love it: small, pretty, charismatic design BUT... the menu is annoying. All electronic cameras except Leica have annoying menus. You can´t shoot without going through menus. Whomever designs those things has no idea that the photo experience is about simple and visceral, quick response. Except Leica digital... but Leica prices are ridiculous. Sorry for the rant. Carry on.

charliedid
04-27-2019, 08:32 AM
I have the old X30 and love it: small, pretty, charismatic design BUT... the menu is annoying. All electronic cameras except Leica have annoying menus. You can´t shoot without going through menus. Whomever designs those things has no idea that the photo experience is about simple and visceral, quick response. Except Leica digital... but Leica prices are ridiculous. Sorry for the rant. Carry on.

X-T123 series is all knobs and external :-)

Little need for the menus for the important stuff.

nalax
04-27-2019, 08:58 AM
The fredmiranda buy and sell forums also have seller ratings which are helpful.

Just checking my X-T3, I see control knobs for ISO, drive selection, shutter speed, metering, EV comp, diopter. Aperture ring on the lens too. Further control with the function buttons and menu. I've been shooting pro for 40 years and I'm not looking back. Rant over:)

jamesdak
04-27-2019, 08:59 AM
Ken Rockwell unbiased :eek::eek: Yeah right!! And then there's the constant begging about helping to feed his family spread throughout everything that he writes. Probably one of the most irritating people on the internet

You beat me too it. Ken is known for a lot of things but being unbiased IS NOT one of them, LOL!

I'll agree with everyone on Fred Miranda. Used them a lot over the years to build up my kit.

C40_guy
04-27-2019, 10:56 AM
You beat me too it. Ken is known for a lot of things but being unbiased IS NOT one of them, LOL!

I've spent a lot of time over the years on Ken's site. Yea, he might have some preferences (don't we all!); he also provides a tremendous amount of useful information.

charliedid
04-27-2019, 11:07 AM
Fredmiranda or POTN. POTN is pretty great actually.

What is POTN?

yinzerniner
04-27-2019, 11:22 AM
What is POTN?

Photography On The Net

As for unbiased reviews, my favorite youtube review channels are Max Yuryev and the DPReview guys (formerly of Camera Store).

Yuryev does a nice distillation of whether or not the camera/lens/accessory positives/negatives are worth the asking price, as well as what type of photography/photographer said equipment is geared towards.

The guys at DPReview youtube channel are great at getting into the nitty gritty, especially the gritty when it comes to user interface, operation and features. Also they do it from a dual photo/video perspective which is really nice.

Can't fault the Fuji system at all, although you're paying a bit of a premium vs other APS-C competitors. For enthusiasts it's probably the best choice as the lens choice, adaptability, ergonomics, UI and quality are right in the sweet spot. However if you want to take the leap into full frame the A7III is a no-brainer, especially since they improved the battery life and sped up the processor.

charliedid
04-27-2019, 11:36 AM
Cheers

I’m all in on Fuji. I just don’t thing I ever heard of POTN

Rhanks