PDA

View Full Version : OT: RIP John Havlicek

bthornt
04-25-2019, 09:19 PM
One of the greatest basketball players of all time.

pbarry
04-25-2019, 09:22 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/25/sports/basketball/john-havlicek-dead-boston-celtics-hall-of-famer.html?searchResultPosition=1

Brian Smith
04-25-2019, 09:59 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/25/sports/basketball/john-havlicek-dead-boston-celtics-hall-of-famer.html?searchResultPosition=1

Thanks for the link.
As the grandson of Rudolph Havlicek, related somehow to John, there wasn't an endurance athletics accomplishment I could reach that wasn't pointed backward, among my family, to the example of John Havlicek as explanation.

Blue Jays
04-25-2019, 10:04 PM
I once heard that John Havlicek stole the ball.

pjm
04-25-2019, 10:09 PM
I was a fan as a kid, sorry to see him go.

pbarry
04-25-2019, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the link.
As the grandson of Rudolph Havlicek, related somehow to John, there wasn't an endurance athletics accomplishment I could reach that wasn't pointed backward, among my family, to the example of John Havlicek as explanation.

That's a heavy load, especially when you're young. And, everyone knew his name, fan or not.

One grandfather of mine was a champion golfer. I've played exactly 9 holes in my life.. Might pick up the game in retirement, along with fly fishing and bird watching. :beer:

XXtwindad
04-26-2019, 08:57 AM
The "Founding Fathers" of basketball occupy such an exalted realm in the public imagination that they seem to be above petty concerns of mere mortals.

Such as dying.

As a sport, basketball is young enough that many of its seminal progenitors are still living; particularly those who gave birth to the sport's greatest rivalry: Cooz, Russell, Baylor, West. If basketball had a Mt. Rushmore, West and Russell would certainly be on it.

When (and if) Russell goes, it will be nothing less than shocking.

alancw3
04-26-2019, 09:30 AM
I cannot say that I was a fan of John Havlicek but I always respected his talent as a basketball player in that era. Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell just to name a few. he was the best of the best in that period. imho the best nba basketball was between 1965 and 1975. and I realize that all the current get players are probably more talented but back then it just meant more again imho. today watching games is just big hype, advertising and money. and I guess I just choose not to watch anymore.

72gmc
04-26-2019, 11:47 AM
that nytimes obit is excellent (no surprise from harvey araton)

i was a little kid at his peak but the obit reinforces what i've heard, that he combined prodigious athletic ability with an equally admirable work ethic. i can see why he earned so much respect.

asindc
04-26-2019, 12:36 PM
One of the greatest basketball players of all time.

No doubt.

T-Crush
04-26-2019, 12:36 PM
Sitting with my dad watching the Lakers battle the Celtics. It was a love/hate relationship with Hondo even then. I loved his talent, effort, high basketball IQ, hated what he did to the Lakers (I'm an LA kid born and raised).

Nothing but respect. RIP

Elefantino
04-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Havlicek's love for basketball was, like Ted Williams' love for baseball, surpassed only by fishing.

My brother-in-law arranged several trips for him and said not only was he an expert angler but also one of the nicest guys they ever dealt with.

True story: We had a #17 jersey at my high school and for one game I wore that because I left my #23 at home. I was assessed a pre-game technical foul because #17 was ruled illegal (no digit could be more than the number of fingers on one hand, the ref said). I was forced to change to a too-small #12.

campy man
04-26-2019, 02:14 PM
Couldn't have said it any better. The really good players have the ability to raise the quality of play of both their teammates and opponents.

Sitting with my dad watching the Lakers battle the Celtics. It was a love/hate relationship with Hondo even then. I loved his talent, effort, high basketball IQ, hated what he did to the Lakers (I'm an LA kid born and raised).

Nothing but respect. RIP

buddybikes
04-26-2019, 02:44 PM
Called by Johnny Most - the most unbiased announcer in history

https://youtu.be/J4fTjcJwImw

Elefantino
04-26-2019, 04:01 PM
Called by Johnny Most - the most unbiased announcer in history

https://youtu.be/J4fTjcJwImw

"Havlicek stole the ball!" is one of the iconic sentences ever spoken in sports broadcasting. Thanks for posting. I hadn't listened in a long time.

Seramount
04-26-2019, 05:51 PM
RIP JH...you were a baller.

as a young bball junkie, he was from the era when I watched and cared about NBA teams.

Bruce K
04-26-2019, 06:27 PM
My cousin, Frank Challant, was the Celtics Head Trainer for two of the Havlicek era championship teams.

He has nothing but fond memories of JH

BK