PDA

View Full Version : Curdled Deal, Resolution Assistance Request

m_sasso
04-24-2019, 09:09 PM
Purchased an impossible to find frame and fork from the other side of the country in private purchase/non Paceline for a good price, shipping charges incurred and purchase covered through Paypal protection.

Frame is perfect and I want to keep it. The fork is the problem, 1” head tube, fork shipped is a Time 1 and 1/8” and not usable on this frame, I don’t need another 1 and 1/8” fork, have two already unused. Seller does not have a 1” fork to exchange it with.

I am a black and white guy, help me out, are there any solutions I am not seeing?

1) Send the fork back, determine a partial refund
2) Send everything back, ask for a refund
3) Keep everything, ask for a partial refund
4) Go to Paypal and claim I din't get what I paid for and let them deal with it
5) Suck it up, be happy with what I got, sell the fork or use it in the future

Thanks for your ideas, thoughts!

Jaybee
04-24-2019, 09:13 PM
Have you talked to the seller yet?

I'd vote for #1.

saab2000
04-24-2019, 09:19 PM
What's the frame? Can you find an appropriate fork?

Nr. 1

The fork is nearly worthless but might fetch a few dollars from a buyer who needs that exact piece.

The real question is the frame and whether or not you can get the fork you need.

oliver1850
04-24-2019, 09:40 PM
More details would help. My response would vary depending on what the frame and fork are, as well as the purchase price. Is the fork something you can use or sell in the price range of the fork that you need? Availability of fork would be another issue. I usually tend towards #3 in these kind of situations but sellers don't always cooperate. Logic behind #3 is that most sellers won't refund return shipping, so you are out that much from square one.

m_sasso
04-24-2019, 09:47 PM
The frame is a new, perfect everything, unbuilt 52cm, Cervelo Super Prodigy, requires a not too difficult to find, 1", 40 - 43 rake, 190mm steerer, Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork or similar.

I think it was a steal of a deal, I have $300.00 invested in the frame/fork purchase and $65.00 in shipping, so not a lot of money, just trying to feel comfortable with the outcome of the sale.

texbike
04-24-2019, 09:59 PM
The frame is a new, perfect, unbuilt 52cm, Cervelo Super Prodigy, requires a not too difficult to find, 1", 40 - 43 rake, 190 cm steerer, Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork or similar.

I think it was a steal of a deal, I have $300.00 invested in the frame/fork purchase and $65.00 in shipping, so not a lot of money, just trying to feel comfortable with the outcome of the sale.

Honestly, the value is in the frame itself, not the fork. I'd do two things: 1. Ask the seller if he would be willing to refund some of the purchase price since the fork isn't usable for you (if it was presented that way), and 2. Sell the fork and look for an appropriate 1" fork for the build. If you like the bike, keep it. A Super Prodigy is a rare machine. It's not likely that you'll find another NOS example in your size anytime soon...

Texbike

makoti
04-24-2019, 10:05 PM
#1 or 2 are the only real choices I see. Either they take back what they sold that won't work, or they tale back everything. Since you want the frame, I'd tell them, hey, this doesn't work together but I'm willing to buy just the frame & not worry about it if you'll take the fork back. Yes? Golden. No? Take it all.

Llewellyn
04-24-2019, 11:15 PM
Honestly, the value is in the frame itself, not the fork. I'd do two things: 1. Ask the seller if he would be willing to refund some of the purchase price since the fork isn't usable for you (if it was presented that way), and 2. Sell the fork and look for an appropriate 1" fork for the build. If you like the bike, keep it. A Super Prodigy is a rare machine. It's not likely that you'll find another NOS example in your size anytime soon...

Texbike

This. For what you paid (which seems like a great deal) I wouldn't spend too much time dwelling on it, especially if you can find the correct fork without too much trouble.

prototoast
04-24-2019, 11:22 PM
What's the vintage of the fork? I might be able to take it off your hands if the seller won't.

Peter B
04-24-2019, 11:49 PM
Maybe I missed this in your first post but was this advertised as a Super Prodigy and matching 1" fork? If so, communicate with the seller and ask him to swap for the correct listed fork at his expense or reimburse you for the mis-advertised fork at an equitable value.

Failing that, option 5 if you really like the frame or option 2, then 4 if you are ready to walk away from the frame too.

illuminaught
04-25-2019, 12:07 AM
Wow. A super prodigy for 365. Nice!
I loved mine... That frame is great.

Pegoready
04-25-2019, 12:10 AM
The non-name 1" carbon forks on the Prodigy bikes were not particularly special and if the seller advertised a Time fork, that fork would not have been original to the frame anyway.

I'd invest in a new Columbus Minimal fork for $165 and ask the seller if they'll reimburse you half:

http://www.henryjames.com/columbus-products/bike-carbon-forks.html

If you get it, be thankful. If not, a used non-original 1" Time fork was never worth much to begin with, right? You could probably sell the 1 1/8" for $100 to the right buyer. Consider yourself lucky a local CL seller was willing to ship you a bike in a different country. That's how I would handle it to limit aggravation.

vqdriver
04-25-2019, 12:55 AM
#1 is best
#5 is realistic

#3 &4 are bs

zmalwo
04-25-2019, 12:59 AM
Purchased an impossible to find frame and fork from the other side of the country in private purchase/non Paceline for a good price, shipping charges incurred and purchase covered through Paypal protection.

Frame is perfect and I want to keep it. The fork is the problem, 1” head tube, fork shipped is a Time 1 and 1/8” and not usable on this frame, I don’t need another 1 and 1/8” fork, have two already unused. Seller does not have a 1” fork to exchange it with.

I am a black and white guy, help me out, are there any solutions I am not seeing?

1) Send the fork back, determine a partial refund
2) Send everything back, ask for a refund
3) Keep everything, ask for a partial refund
4) Go to Paypal and claim I din't get what I paid for and let them deal with it
5) Suck it up, be happy with what I got, sell the fork or use it in the future

Thanks for your ideas, thoughts!

I would keep everything, ask for a small refund to cover your labor cost of selling it and looking for a new one. If the deal is already good then I would just take the deal as is.

glepore
04-25-2019, 07:28 AM
I was going to propose the Minimal solution. Its a very nice fork. Ebay the time for $50 and move on.

HenryA
04-25-2019, 07:34 AM
What did you expect to get in exchange for your money?

oldpotatoe
04-25-2019, 07:58 AM
I was going to propose the Minimal solution. Its a very nice fork. Ebay the time for $50 and move on.

What he said, life's too short. 1 inch forks are easy to find..

huck*this
04-25-2019, 08:50 AM
Yea I would just take the fork and sell it. Leave it up to the seller if he wants to kick a few bucks over for your time but seems like you made out on the bike and like you said 1" fork with those specs are easy to snag. Build that bad boy up and don't delay.

vincenz
04-25-2019, 09:09 AM
It sounds like you like the frame enough.

I would contact the seller and ask for partial refund regarding the bad fork— up to him whether or not he wants the fork back—then just buy the right fork yourself.

I don’t think you stole anything by getting a good deal. It was an agreed on price by both parties, but you didn’t get what was advertised.