PDA

View Full Version : Adding hand brake to kid's bike.

Jaybee
04-23-2019, 05:03 PM
My daughter has a 16" Speshy Hotrock with a coaster brake. She is really good at going fast, not so good at stopping - she knows how to use the coaster brake, but usually opts for a Flintstone style foot drag, a flying ghost-ride dismount, or just running into things. I'd like to add a rear caliper brake to her bike, both so she has a reliable way to stop and so she can begin learning for her next bike which will definitely have hand brakes.

I'm assuming I need a BMX style caliper, but have no idea what's good there or what size to get, if there are sizes.

Anyone have experience here and can help?

ultraman6970
04-23-2019, 06:42 PM
My kids walmart bmx have both... yes BMX... I imagine the frame has a hole for it too, if it does is the same than in a road bike, the only difference is that will be tad rough.

Nothing that much to add to be honest. Is just like any other caliper brake.

vqdriver
04-23-2019, 07:31 PM
kinda went thru similar. if the frame/fork has the mounting holes for it, go right ahead and mount up some bmx calipers. i did on our boys' bikes and they worked fine. rubbed thru the rim ano pretty quick but oh well.
i went with both front and rear

just a word, the brakes/levers come as a kit, but i replaced the housing and cable with 'good' stuff. i didn't want to spend too much on the whole deal but it was so worth it.