PDA

View Full Version : Chamois cream -

David Kirk
04-23-2019, 01:24 PM
So....a bit of a delicate question about chamois creams.

I've never had issues with friction causing problems so that's not the problem I'm trying to solve. What I'd like is for the chamois and my skin to be a bit tacky to hold my junk up and in place when I stand to climb or stretch....and so that when I sit back down the junk is up and out of the way and I don't need to adjust things.

I experimented with simple Vaseline and it works pretty well but it will ruin the shorts in time and can clog pores causing other issues. Has anyone used chamois cream for this reason? Any brands you like?

dave

bigbill
04-23-2019, 01:37 PM
A&D Ointment. It's a little more "tacky" than chamois cream but washes out easier than Vaseline.

45K10
04-23-2019, 01:37 PM
This stuff is pretty tacky

https://www.target.com/p/boudreaux-s-butt-paste-diaper-rash-ointment-maximum-strength-preservative-free-14oz-jar/-/A-51265590

It's a pain to wash out of the chamois though.

Johnnyg
04-23-2019, 01:43 PM

I've never had issues with friction causing problems so that's not the problem I'm trying to solve. What I'd like is for the chamois and my skin to be a bit tacky to hold my junk up and in place when I stand to climb or stretch....and so that when I sit back down the junk is up and out of the way and I don't need to adjust things.

I experimented with simple Vaseline and it works pretty well but it will ruin the shorts in time and can clog pores causing other issues. Has anyone used chamois cream for this reason? Any brands you like?

dave
bag balm Dave

Johnnyg
04-23-2019, 01:49 PM

dave
bag balm Dave

David Kirk
04-23-2019, 01:50 PM
bag balm Dave

So nice you said it twice!

dave

EDS
04-23-2019, 01:58 PM
This may work:

https://podiumskincare.com/collections/frontpage/products/ballocks-chamois-cream-for-men

That said, a new good fitting pair of bibshorts would also do the trick.

makoti
04-23-2019, 02:15 PM

dave

Make your own.
2 parts Shea butter (4TBSP)
1 part lanolin creme (2TBSP)
with this amount, add 1tsp Witch Hazel and 1/2tsp TeaTree oil
Heat in a preheated oven @ 170 TURNED OFF until mixture is liquid.
Cool. For quicker cooling, put in the fridge
Makes about a standard retail tubs' worth, for me.
You can adjust the Shea/Lanolin for creamy vs sticky, although more Lanolin will also stain the shorts, I found.

metalheart
04-23-2019, 02:20 PM
Among the most tacky creams I have used is Mucc Off Luxury Chamois Cream. It is not as greasy as Bag Balm or Vasilene, more like DZNuts but thicker without being greasy. I use it now and plan to make it my summer cream since it is so thick.

Andreas
04-23-2019, 03:04 PM
can clog pores causing other issues.

dave

All chamois stuff is more likely do clog your glands than using none. If you do not have friction problems (which are typically a reflection of poor positioning anyway as you know), don't use it.

This stuff can't keep your junk up and overcome gravity. If you don't race just reach down and adjust.

Living in a very active cycling community, all abscesses we have I&D'ed in last years were chamois users.

GregL
04-23-2019, 03:06 PM
As a native of central New York, I can't believe you haven't heard about Dr. Naylor's Udder Balm. (https://www.drnaylor.com/product/udder-balm/) Sticky and soothing. Available by mail order and at better farm supply stores.

Greg

acorn_user
04-23-2019, 03:11 PM
I was going to suggest Muc-Off too, but I'm not sure it's thick enough for what you want. Maybe you need to try different shorts? I do like it as chamois cream though; it's really good!

m4rk540
04-23-2019, 03:20 PM
All chamois stuff is more likely do clog your glands than using none. If you do not have friction problems (which are typically a reflection of poor positioning anyway as you know), don't use it.

This stuff can't keep your junk up and overcome gravity. If you don't race just reach down and adjust.

Living in a very active cycling community, all abscesses we have I&D'ed in last years were chamois users.

Yikes.

Are infections common from chafing?

Hellgate
04-23-2019, 03:41 PM
Yikes.

Are infections common from chafing?Saddle sores are the worst...

I like Assos shorts with balcony, or whatever they call it. Whereas Castelli provides no junk room.

Never thought of gluing things into place however!

That said, I like Assos chamious cream regardless of short brand.

false_Aest
04-23-2019, 03:49 PM
DK,

I know that problem. I once did a stage race that started off with a steep uphill TT. The kind that makes your arms go tingly because all the blood just went to your legs. The kind that makes you stop thinking at the top. The kind that makes you forget that things shifted until you plop down just after the finish.

You only do that once.

I never found a topical product that helped. I did, however, unexpectedly find a solution when I bough a pair of Assos bibs (The previous gen not the current one. I have yet to try the new gen.). I've been rotating through 4 pairs Assos and haven't had an issue with them for 3 years. The other 3 pairs of bibs I have are not so awesome.

As for chamois cream: I'm digging Mad Alchemy but I don't think it will do what you need it to do.

eddief
04-23-2019, 04:05 PM
maybe better to stickum in junk strap.

weaponsgrade
04-23-2019, 04:11 PM
I've been using Enzo's Buttonhole for the last few years and it's been working for me. I've used Bag Balm in the past, but have concluded that it's a little too greasy. I've got this little fold of fat that ends up causing lots of friction and then saddle sores. A little smear of Enzo's on that side of the chamois has worked to prevent the chafing.

David Kirk
04-23-2019, 04:16 PM
Thank you gents - it's much appreciated.

I've always wanted to use a good bib short but being skinny and 6'4" make it near impossible to find some with long enough shoulder straps that aren't too large around the waist.

I'll try out a few of your suggested creams and ointments and with any luck things will stay put a bit better.

Thanks again,

dave

Irishgirl
04-23-2019, 04:23 PM
Threads like these make me appreciate being “a girl” ...said with a grin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparky33
04-23-2019, 05:05 PM
This thread is nuts.

weisan
04-23-2019, 05:07 PM
This thread is nuts.

No, this thread is creamy.

Black Dog
04-23-2019, 06:27 PM
All these suggestions are no good. What you need is a real solution: JB Weld. You are welcome.

As for the variety, as if there would be any other option given the end use application:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0411/5921/products/8251_KwikWood_3.12.15.jpg?v=1426187596

David Kirk
04-23-2019, 06:30 PM
All these suggestions are no good. What you need is a real solution: JB Weld. You are welcome.

As for the variety, as if there would be any other option given the end use application:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0411/5921/products/8251_KwikWood_3.12.15.jpg?v=1426187596

......and we have a winner!

dave

John H.
04-23-2019, 06:32 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Okole-Stuff-chamois-cream-6oz/dp/B005HSVB2G

This stuff works great!

Johnny P
04-23-2019, 06:34 PM

I've always wanted to use a good bib short but being skinny and 6'4" make it near impossible to find some with long enough shoulder straps that aren't too large around the waist.

I'll try out a few of your suggested creams and ointments and with any luck things will stay put a bit better.

Thanks again,

dave

Dave,

You might want to try this site for custom bib shorts (https://www.boure.com/customfit.html)

ultraman6970
04-23-2019, 06:38 PM
Man, this thing worked like a champ in a saddle sore i had, those like bloody ones you know.. sealed and good to go for those 150 miles epic rides. Little bit stiff but works.

SoCalSteve
04-23-2019, 07:14 PM

Thanks again,

dave

Assos XLG if you can try on a pair. If too short, try TIR.

cmbicycles
04-23-2019, 07:31 PM
Aerotech makes decent bibs in tall sizes. I'm 6'5" 200# and wear a large tall. If you are thinner a medium tall may be the ticket... or check out the boure custom option mentioned above.

Hindmost
04-23-2019, 08:06 PM
...good bib short...near impossible to find some with long enough shoulder straps that aren't too large around the waist...

Adjustable suspenders and a short? Something used back in the day and I used for a bunch of years.

David Kirk
04-23-2019, 08:09 PM
Assos XLG if you can try on a pair. If too short, try TIR.

I looked at the Assos site and my wast size says size large, my weight says XL and my height says XXL as I recall. Hard to know where to draw the line.

What is the TIR? I saw that listed but didn't stumble on what it meant.

dave

el cheapo
04-23-2019, 08:33 PM
Vaseline...good enough for babies to prevent diaper rash...good enough for me. And it's cheap compared to other stuff.

fa63
04-23-2019, 08:35 PM
What is the TIR? I saw that listed but didn't stumble on what it meant.

TIR stands for "Transports Internationaux Routiers"; you see it in Europe on semi trucks. I think it is Assos' way of saying you are a wide load :-)

David Kirk
04-23-2019, 09:46 PM
TIR stands for "Transports Internationaux Routiers"; you see it in Europe on semi trucks. I think it is Assos' way of saying you are a wide load :-)

You can say lots of things about me but one thing that can't be honestly said is that I have a wide load!

dave

tigoat
04-24-2019, 07:53 AM
I used to have a similar problem with my boy moving around until I switched to wearing Giordana Silverline bibs. These bibs have "pouch" like at the front where the boy can park and lock in place naturally. Not sure if I would be comfortable with tacky cream around the area.

Black Dog
04-24-2019, 08:16 AM
You can say lots of things about me but one thing that can't be honestly said is that I have a wide load!

dave

Have you thought about getting bibs and bringing them to a seamstress to have the straps lengthened? Not complicated and may solve your tissue issue.

David Kirk
04-24-2019, 08:31 AM
I used to have a similar problem with my boy moving around until I switched to wearing Giordana Silverline bibs. These bibs have "pouch" like at the front where the boy can park and lock in place naturally. Not sure if I would be comfortable with tacky cream around the area.

That makes more sense to me....I'll take a look.

dave

old fat man
04-24-2019, 09:57 AM
That makes more sense to me....I'll take a look.

dave

I'm 6'1" and find the giordana bibs to be too short, straps and legs.

Rapha makes proline in long/tall I believe

GParkes
04-24-2019, 12:32 PM
bag balm Dave

Yes, Bag Balm DK. Just switched to it.

Duende
04-24-2019, 12:42 PM
Try the q36.5 bibs. I am all torso with short legs and have had similar problems with the bib straps always being too short. The q36.5 dottore straps could easily stretch another 5-6 inches comfortably.

Brian Smith
04-24-2019, 02:33 PM

Mystère résolu... Thank you, I'm never thrilled by the uncertainty of clothing sizes when placing orders.

jghall
04-24-2019, 04:56 PM
Yes tir is a wider version of Assos' xlg(2xl to others).

It is a challenge of trail and error with many bibs. Also can be a bit expensive quest. I'll 2nd the recommendation of finding ones you like and getting them tailored.

Really surprised nobody mentioned just take the little blue pill. Or whatever color they're currently advertising for us older folks. Problem solved, though make create another issue. ;)

Good luck Dave.

David Kirk
05-09-2019, 09:50 AM
So.....a bit of follow up.

I got in touch with Drew from Boure and told him what I was hoping to accomplish and he told me that some custom bib shorts would be the ticket.

I took a few simple measurements and sent them off and got my new tall-guy custom bib shorts less than a week later! The fit is spot on and they do a good job of providing the support I was looking for. Drew made both the shoulder straps and legs longer than stock and these might be the first shorts I've ever owned that fit the way they are supposed to. And frankly his pricing ($140 + 20% custom charge) is too low. I'd have been perfectly happy to pay much more.

Highly recommended.

dave

Black Dog
05-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Glad that it worked out for you and your boys David. :)

Clean39T
05-09-2019, 10:18 AM
Wow, that is cheap! Definitely looking into.

Now about that run of Kirk Frameworks kit... Merino SS maybe?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

eddief
05-09-2019, 12:57 PM
no jersey :).