PDA

View Full Version : Jesus, go away for a week and nothing happens

Tom
12-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Read "The Proud Highway", a collection of Hunter S Thompson letters. Felt a little weird and voyeurish but starved for good flash language and high sense of outrage I picked it up. I recommend it. Nothing changes. His condemnation of the lazy, flabby lap dog press rings ever so true these forty years later. Christ.

Read "Spook". A waste of paper. How this got published I haven't the faintest idea.

Saw good pictures. Mona Lisa is not overrated, Lady With an Ermine has a definite rival. Stand and look for a minute or two and all of a sudden your eye and mind come into sync and you see how good the guy hit it. You could say it was a nice accident if he didn't paint a lot of other really good stuff so I can imagine him stepping back, a little smile on his face saying "This one worked. Heh."

Monet's good, but damn Van Gogh was great. A chromatic system like nobody else's, everything a little bent and twisted. I like his stuff. He was clearly crazy, we share an eye.

You want to cry even if you're not religious? Go to Notre Dame when the choir's practicing. Holy ****. Then you'll laugh out loud when they all whip out their cell phones and take pictures of each other.

You can't eat bad food or find bad wine but the best dinner we had was a plate of cheese and half a loaf of bread and a bottle of cheap red. They don't make cheese in North America. They don't. I don't know what it is over here, but it isn't cheese. A great little place, too, with a door under the bar where they stuck their head in and called out orders to the dwarf in the basement.

Dying to get on the road again but both bikes are up getting new bottom brackets. 6000 miles on a Chorus BB? What the hell am I doing wrong?

toaster
12-03-2006, 05:37 AM
Nice monologue.

Elefantino
12-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Glad you had a nice time in Paris.

We just finished our album from our August trip. Van Gogh. Killer. But Monet's gardens in Giverny are over the top.

Camembert baguettes. We have grilled cheese sandwiches; they have the masterpiece of gourmet simplicity.

Louvre vs. Orsay?

Tom
12-03-2006, 06:33 AM
And I come home to find out my 91 year old uncle, who the week before I left was awoken to be robbed at gunpoint in his own house, apparently was run over by a car (or perhaps two) while I was away. He got away with a chipped bone in his neck. Putin is not involved, I have that on good authority.

AgilisMerlin
12-03-2006, 07:27 AM
sorry to hear that about your uncle.

post edit. i just made the worst pot of coffee in my life.

AmerliN

Ahneida Ride
12-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Tom

I would like to request that you refrain from using the name of my
Lord and Savior Jesus Christ with such spontaneity.

I also realize that that their in nothing in the US Constitution that
guarranties me a right not to be offended. ;)

Thanks,

72gmc
12-05-2006, 05:58 PM
I absolutely agree on Van Gogh. Seeing his self-portrait in person was one of the few times I've ever been "frozen" by art. The hustle and noise of the surroundings simply disappeared.

6000 miles is about what I'm getting from Centaur bottom brackets. I'm switching to Tullio's long lost cousin Phil.

steve575
12-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Everyone should read some Hunter S. Thompson. I read "Kingdom of Fear" not to long ago and was very entertained.

AgilisMerlin
12-05-2006, 07:10 PM
I absolutely agree on Van Gogh. Seeing his self-portrait in person was one of the few times I've ever been "frozen" by art. The hustle and noise of the surroundings simply disappeared.

6000 miles is about what I'm getting from Centaur bottom brackets. I'm switching to Tullio's long lost cousin Phil.

i am working on 8,000 on a ultegra 9spd bottome bracket, still going strong, although part of the thread have begun to be eaten away by corrosion on non drive side. Pitted, holes, and missing some parts of the outside thread.

don't matter to me: just slather more ti prep in their..........got one waiting in the wings for replacement. Also of note:

have dura ace 9 speed rings from late 92 still running strong. Have switched most over from 9 to 10 spd besides the crank. I luv making it suffer a long life.

got an extra set of rings for them too.

Aluminium luves' to corrode.................jmo :D

AmerliN

SGP
12-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Everyone should read some Hunter S. Thompson. I read "Kingdom of Fear" not to long ago and was very entertained.

I have been a fan of his writing for a long time, read the Rum Diaries last summer. My wife read it and loved it; it was her first peak in to his sad, strange world.