PDA

View Full Version : rivendale ? for dbrk

mfb1001
05-06-2004, 05:03 AM
I finally ended up with a atlantis, and I have ? about the height. Is there that much diff. between the serotta cc (mine is 58) and the rivendale? I understand there bb is much higher. I'm going with there standard setup (components) and looking forward the ride. It will be used mainly for commuting and trail rides.

dbrk
05-06-2004, 06:10 AM
Congratulations on getting a wonderful bicycle. The Atlantis is a true all-arounder, built to last, and rides as sweetly as any two wheels.

A few points to note, including the first which is trivial but perhaps important too?
*It's Rivendell, not Rivendale. The Last Homely House, the House of Elrond, also called Imlandris in Sindarin, Karningul in Westron. Oops, that Middle Earth stuff. But it's still "Rivendell". Look here for more about it in Tolkien terms: http://www.tuckborough.net/rivendell.html and look here for the bicycle and gear company formed by Grant Petersen in 1994 after Bridgestone U.S.A. closed up shop: http://www.rivendellbicycles.com

*The bb drop on an Atlantis and most Serottas is 8cm but the Rivendell is usually taller because of the tires being taller/larger. However, the Rivendell uses 2-3d of slope (can't remember which) and this increases standover, though that is not really much of an issue.

*Built as an all-arounder, the Atlantis has quite relaxed geometries (much along the lines of a French cyclotouriste frame) but zooms to the occasion as well as any (zooming being far more a feature of the zoomer). But it's more notable design feature is that it has a taller headtube and a taller front end than most American-style "competition" bikes. You can reduce the saddle/bar drop much more easily on an Atlantis and, if you ask Grant for a size/fit, you will likely be put on a frame that is larger than your current road bike (since most road bike fittings seem to aim smaller). On my Rivendells there is very little stem quill showing because of the tall front end but Grant often shows them very tall to make the point that it can be done. (He would put people on even slightly larger frames than he initially suggests, I think, if he didn't think folks would get all nervous about that...I ride the tallest Rivendell that I can easily standover.)

No matter how it is built---for speed, for commuting, to city riding, for country roads and dirt paths---this is a bike that is truly a joy to ride. It's got tire clearances for just about anything you can imagine but the fattest of the fattest 26"ers. Enjoy!

dbrk

mfb1001
05-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the trivia. My only concern, and this comes from a novice and I do like my bikes larger then norm, I see the standover of my Legend at 84 and the standover of the Atlantis of 89. Grant has suggested I go with the 64 frame size. Is there that much of a diff between the Serotta (which has a 2d of slant on tt) and the sizing of the Atlantis (2d of slant on the tt) design that the relaxed geometry does this? By the way I noticed on some pictures of your Rivendell bikes that you have the Moustache H’bars, how go you like them? I'm thinking of switching from the drop bars to Moustache H’bars or Albatross, probably the Albatross, being they are more like the drops.

dbrk
05-06-2004, 09:49 AM
As a basic rule of thumb and as it applies to both the Rivendell and an 8dropbb Serotta, the largest frame you can stand over (huge tires notwithstanding) is your PBH-15cm. Your saddle height minus 10cm is likely the starting point from which Grant sized you. Without measuring your Serotta it's hard to tell what the differences would be but the Rivendell is designed to fit tall, even especially tall. If it's "too tall" then you can lower the bars, cut the steerer: something even I have done! I would trust Mr Petersen. What you will get is a fit that does not follow the trends or one befitting a racer or "competitive" style of riding, but I have ridden my Rivendells in road races and even crits, while my old student John rode my Rivendell Road as a Cat 1 and won many times on the bike. Anyway, my point is that if you take the numbers above you'll have an idea about stand over and if you take Mr Petersen's advice you will have a bike that fits the oldschool way (which is every bit as good as the newschool way).

dbrk

mfb1001
05-06-2004, 12:47 PM
dbrk: thanks for your help. i talked with mark this morning and we revised the size from a 64 to 61. based on what he told me and my measurments, i feel much more comfortable i on the right thrack (i hope i'm not wrong). as always, appreciate your input. mike

Ken Robb
05-06-2004, 02:29 PM
I have a Rivendell Allrounder which is the basis for the Atlantis. It's 63cm per Riv. Actuall measures more like a 61cm Serotta. Our 58cm CSi is a bit small for me. A 60 or 61cm Serotta ould probably suit me and if I ever find one that size I'll try it. I rode a 65cm Atlantis and it wasn't uncomfortable even though with 700x52mm tires I had zero standover clearance. My Rambouillet is a 62cm. I thought about getting a 60cm due to my fear of geting a bike so much bigger than my 57cm LeMond. The 60cm would have been too small and I'm not sure that I wouldn't prefer a 64cm now. I'm 6'1 with 90cm PBH. Saddle about 79cm above BB.

mfb1001
05-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks Ken. My 58 serotta is just right for me and based on the standover from what I got from Mark, I'm sure I took the right one. But then again, I was wrong a few other times. I'll question myself till the day I get it and take it out for a spin. If I'm wrong, there is always eBay :)

dbrk
05-06-2004, 07:40 PM
If your 58cm Serotta fits you with a really comfy front end then I think the slightly taller Rivendell is the ticket. From the 64cm suggestion I was thinking that perhaps the Serotta was really aggressively sized.

I have a 56cm Bstone RB-2, you may have seen it in the custom gallery, it's got a million dollar paint job on a seventy-five cent frame (I mean, it's a wondrful bike but not realllllly special in construction, just in sentiment and ride). I like to ride that bike, and it fits not unlike my Ibis Ti, which was 55cm by Ibis's stnds but really more like a 57x56.5. Anyway, my usual size in a Bstone would be a 60cm, like my Serotta. My point is that this is 4cm difference and so mutatis mutandis if your 58 Serotta were as small for you as my Bstone then you'd easily fit a much larger frame. Seein' as how all them points is moot I should just go mute.

Enjoy the ride, I think you're in the right size.

dbrk

vaxn8r
05-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Aha! I knew that Bridgestone was my size...it does have the million dollar paint job. I wouldn't mind another pic or two.