PDA

View Full Version : tubular flat fix?

bironi
12-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Sorry guys and gals,

My memory sucks. Recently there was a thread about a product to fix tubular punctures on the road (similar to slime). Will someone please let my tubular riding buddy know what he should carry in his saddle bag to plug minor leaks.

Thanks much,
Byron :beer:

manet
12-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Sorry guys and gals,

My memory sucks. Recently there was a thread about a product to fix tubular punctures on the road (similar to slime). Will someone please let my tubular riding buddy know what he should carry in his saddle bag to plug minor leaks.

Thanks much,
Byron :beer:

a trust fund

Jack Brunk
12-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Vittoria Pit Stop.

Jck

Louis
12-02-2006, 11:56 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that tubulars are so great that they _never_ get leaks or flats :p

bironi
12-02-2006, 11:58 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that tubulars are so great that they _never_ get leaks or flats :p

Yes, I have heard the same quote from my buddy, he heard it from a buddy, who's buddy told him the same. :beer:

Too Tall
12-03-2006, 07:30 AM
He should carry a spare Tubular with some glue on it.
I have not tried the pit stop.

AgilisMerlin
12-03-2006, 08:08 AM
He should carry a spare Tubular with some glue on it.
I have not tried the pit stop.

Agree.

Wrap it, and toe clip it under the saddle. Pray that you only get one flat. The law of averages are in your favor.

AmerliN

bironi
12-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Yes, he does carry a glued spare. I was just looking for the easier quick fix. I'll let him know about the Vittoria Pit Stop.

Thanks. :beer:

Bill Bove
12-03-2006, 10:15 AM
A couple of questions about the pit stop that nobody has been able to answer for me. once you inflate your tire with it can you deflate and reflate again? after it's in the tire will it stop another leak later on like slime? I'm kinda wondering these things and don't want to invest ten bucks to learn for myself.

itsalldark
12-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Fast Air from Hutchinson. It's a smal little can that inflates and repairs. It can be carried in a jersey pocket and takes about 90 seconds to work. They are fantastic!

12-03-2006, 12:53 PM
I tried some Pit Stop in a tubular just to experiment and found it had the same problems Tufo sealant did. It was a godawful mess if you ever went to repair the tire. It didn't handle anything more than a very minor leak. It didn't cope with high pressures (I could get home on 80 psi but at anything higher it just blew out). It's not quite as adhesive as the Tufo stuff, so it doesn't mess up the valve as readily as Tufo sealant does, but I don't think it's a real solution. I certainly wouldn't trust it in lieu of a spare tire.

Like I've said on this forum before, if you puncture a lot, you probably would be happier riding clinchers. If you don't puncture a lot, you can more easily avail yourself of the benefits of tubulars. But that doesn't mean you don't carry a spare with you. I've ridden tubulars for many years and only seen one instance when a rider punctured twice (I think it's like the pretty girl in the bar and the kidney missing later that evening story -- an urban legend). This observation does not apply if you live in goathead territory -- that's where I pull out clinchers and use them myself. But anyway, so far there's no real solution to a tubular with a puncture (pardon the pun). The trick is to avoid getting them. Pick your tire, your pressure, and your riding habits and you should be in good shape. If not, CAFY (clinchers are for you!).

Mud
12-03-2006, 05:48 PM
I switched to tubular tires over one year ago after experiencing too many flats. Since I ride with my wife 99.99% of the time I had to change tubes on hers also and got fed up. I have had no flats since. I used Tufos and Conti Sprinters which are pretty tough but I bought CXs for the good weather and some Rallys for the Spring. If I start getting flats I will just have to go see the Boston Drunk to learn the secret of his toes over method of getting on Contis.

terrytnt
12-03-2006, 07:08 PM
I also agree with 11.4. I've been riding tubulars for over 15 years with no problems (only one puncture so far (knock on wood). Yes, I'm careful about where I ride, and inspect my tires after most rides. My friends (who all ride clinchers) frequently experience flats... go figure.

I was curious about Pit Stop, so I purchased a can but have yet to use. Guess I'm just a tubular die-hard.

go tubies....