PDA

View Full Version : Is this cassette messed up?

fmradio516
04-19-2019, 11:52 AM
I just picked up a cheap bike that someone used as a cross-race bike and it had no chain on it as the PO had a chain snap, im assuming from shifting under load. I am completely overhauling the bike and took off the cassette (Ultegra 11spd) and ive never seen teeth like this.

The two smallest cogs have a couple teeth that look super weird. They dont look jagged like they were chipped, but they dont look normal to me.. though I am really bad and gauging cassette wear...

Sorry for the huge pic. The teeth in question are on the two smallest cogs at/around 12 oclock

https://i.imgur.com/iXiLiUj.jpg

oldpotatoe
04-19-2019, 11:56 AM
I just picked up a cheap bike that someone used as a cross-race bike and it had no chain on it as the PO had a chain snap, im assuming from shifting under load. I am completely overhauling the bike and took off the cassette (Ultegra 11spd) and ive never seen teeth like this.

The two smallest cogs have a couple teeth that look super weird. They dont look jagged like they were chipped, but they dont look normal to me.. though I am really bad and gauging cassette wear...

Sorry for the huge pic. The teeth in question are on the two smallest cogs at/around 12 oclock

https://i.imgur.com/iXiLiUj.jpg

Normal, lots of tooth prep and shaping to ensure good shifting up and down under load.

shoota
04-19-2019, 12:09 PM
This about this: what's more probable...two teeth on different cogs wearing into the exact same shape or being made that way?

fmradio516
04-19-2019, 12:31 PM
This about this: what's more probable...two teeth on different cogs wearing into the exact same shape or being made that way?

Yeah I thought of that, but I just wanted to post this to double check because I plan on posting a WTT for an 11-25 and didnt want to give anyone a crap cassette. :) Thanks!!

shoota
04-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Yeah I thought of that, but I just wanted to post this to double check because I plan on posting a WTT for an 11-25 and didnt want to give anyone a crap cassette. :) Thanks!!

Good looking out!

berserk87
04-22-2019, 10:08 AM
That huge pic is appropriate for the question you posed. Nice work, actually.

Red Tornado
04-22-2019, 02:08 PM
There's no picture there now.

tctyres
04-22-2019, 02:29 PM
That cassette is in pretty good shape, actually. Clean the black grime off with a brass brush and WD-40. It will look good as new.

cmg
04-22-2019, 02:32 PM
aren't those teeth in the smaller cogs to ease with shifting? Clean the cassette to see it's real condition.

berserk87
04-22-2019, 03:47 PM
There's no picture there now.

It might be the fault of the browser you are using. The image is visible via mine.

Red Tornado
04-22-2019, 03:51 PM
It might be the fault of the browser you are using. The image is visible via mine.

Could very well be the case. Other pics show up no problem, but if the rest of the folk on this thread can see it, the issue is probably on my end. No biggie. just wanted to do a PSA in case there was a problem with the OP's post.

bikinchris
04-22-2019, 06:54 PM
That cassette looks almost new.

madsciencenow
04-22-2019, 07:02 PM
I had the same question a couple years ago and I’ve got a number of the same cassette that all look similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliedid
04-22-2019, 07:23 PM
That cassette looks almost new.

This ^