PDA

View Full Version : FULCRUM Racing Zero CARBON Clinchers

Jeff N.
04-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Anyone riding these? If so....ya like 'em? Was thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair. Thanks in advance.

82Picchio
04-19-2019, 11:35 AM
I have owned a pair for two years and have ridden them just a handful of times. I can't even remember whether the freehub is Shimano or Campy. If you're interested, I can let them go at a friendly price.

Jef58
04-19-2019, 06:38 PM
Yes, they are nice wheels. Campagnolo quality hubs and rims in a different design from the Bora 35. I look at it like a carbon version of the Shamal. I don't see any downside of riding these wheels compared to any of the other Campy offerings.

zmalwo
04-20-2019, 01:40 AM
Racing 0 carbon only saves 30g per rim comparing to the Racing Speed 40C. I wonder if it's really worth the aerodynamic disadvantage going from 40mm to 30mm rims for 30g.

Jeff N.
04-20-2019, 10:00 AM
I also notice that the spokes are larger on the Zeros.

Jef58
04-20-2019, 11:02 AM
Yes, aluminum like the Eurus has. They are not as bad in the crosswinds as a 40mm wheel. I've had both and prefer the 30-35mm wheels. They are more of an all arounder. The Racing Speed 40 is on the Ultra version while the Racing 0 has the USB bearings...if that makes a difference. I'm not fast enough to take advantage of the speed differences of deep wheels so that is my rational for that. Muffinman has 2 sets of Bora Ultras for sale that look like a good deal. If I didn't have my Racing zeros, I would be buying Ryun's Bora tubulars or Muffinman's Ultra 35's. I haven'y ridden tubulars in over 12 years, but something like a tubular on a nice high end carbon wheel sounds pretty good...fast or not.

Jeff N.
04-20-2019, 12:06 PM
Yes, aluminum like the Eurus has. They are not as bad in the crosswinds as a 40mm wheel. I've had both and prefer the 30-35mm wheels. They are more of an all arounder. The Racing Speed 40 is on the Ultra version while the Racing 0 has the USB bearings...if that makes a difference. I'm not fast enough to take advantage of the speed differences of deep wheels so that is my rational for that. Muffinman has 2 sets of Bora Ultras for sale that look like a good deal. If I didn't have my Racing zeros, I would be buying Ryun's Bora tubulars or Muffinman's Ultra 35's. I haven'y ridden tubulars in over 12 years, but something like a tubular on a nice high end carbon wheel sounds pretty good...fast or not.Tubulars don't interest me...just sayin'.

fignon's barber
04-20-2019, 02:05 PM
IMO, I don't think there's much difference between a well designed 35mm wheel and a 45mm with regard to aerodynamics.

Drmojo
04-20-2019, 02:29 PM
friends don’t let friends ride
carbon clinchers!

Jeff N.
04-20-2019, 03:02 PM
friends don’t let friends ride
carbon clinchers!It seems to me, anyway, (and I might be DEAD wrong) that tubulars really only have a place in high-level racing. I do Centuries. What is the process of changing out a flat, on the side of the road, with tubulars compared to clinchers?

fa63
04-20-2019, 09:07 PM
You could carry sealant (which is not guaranteed to seal the puncture), or a pre-glued spare tubular.

That said, clinchers are really good these days.

oldpotatoe
04-21-2019, 07:50 AM
It seems to me, anyway, (and I might be DEAD wrong) that tubulars really only have a place in high-level racing. I do Centuries. What is the process of changing out a flat, on the side of the road, with tubulars compared to clinchers?

First, all things being equal, you flat less on a tubular because the chances of a pinch flat are much, much smaller. Second, you carry a pre glued spare..get a flat, take old tire off, put new tire on..pump up, finish century.
With clinchers, find what punctured you, change or patch tube and finish century. If big tire cut, maybe boot, new tube, finish century.

I ride tubulars everyday, don't own a clincher..certainly not doing any high or low level, racing..I carry a spare tire, I also squirt Orange-Seal into my tubulars also, when I put them on new. I have very, very few flats, like maybe 1-2 a year..I wear the tires out way more often than puncture.

fignon's barber
04-21-2019, 08:10 AM
You could carry sealant (which is not guaranteed to seal the puncture), or a pre-glued spare tubular.

……..or you can just do this:

Jeff N.
04-21-2019, 09:06 AM
First, all things being equal, you flat less on a tubular because the chances of a pinch flat are much, much smaller. Second, you carry a pre glued spare..get a flat, take old tire off, put new tire on..pump up, finish century.
With clinchers, find what punctured you, change or patch tube and finish century. If big tire cut, maybe boot, new tube, finish century.

I ride tubulars everyday, don't own a clincher..certainly not doing any high or low level, racing..I carry a spare tire, I also squirt Orange-Seal into my tubulars also, when I put them on new. I have very, very few flats, like maybe 1-2 a year..I wear the tires out way more often than puncture.Thanks! I took a look at a youtube video too and it looked pretty straight forward...maybe a slight learning curve. How about the cost of a tubular tire vs. an inner tube?

tsarpepe
04-21-2019, 09:55 AM
T How about the cost of a tubular tire vs. an inner tube?

I think you know the answer to that question...

oldpotatoe
04-21-2019, 02:41 PM
Thanks! I took a look at a youtube video too and it looked pretty straight forward...maybe a slight learning curve. How about the cost of a tubular tire vs. an inner tube?

Apples and oranges. Getting into the weeds here but I repair punctured tubulars if they have tread left.

Wayne77
04-21-2019, 03:27 PM
<edited my original post down significantly>

- Lots of good deals on CF tubulars. people aren’t as attracted to them, leaving some sweet bargains to those who like ‘em. :-)

- I’ve had less flat down-time with my tubulars...and it’s not really due to less pinch flats (pinch flats haven’t really been an issue for me regardless of tire). I just get less flats.

- I’m not happy about Vitoria Corsa Elites being discontinued. Such a great ride for the price. I was getting them for $45 from Ribble. Still on the hunt for tubulars with equal price/performance ratio. That said I LOVE LOVE the 27mm Zipp Tangente Speed SL tubbies I’m on now. So fast, and the ride is amazingly supple.

Happy Easter!

Jeff N.
04-21-2019, 10:48 PM
OK, NOW we're gettin' down! Y'all are freakin' beautiful maniacs. I mean it.

m4rk540
04-22-2019, 01:02 AM
Jeff N, you won't be able to color coordinate tubulars to water bottles. However, a recent survey showed that 96% of riders who regularly roll with frame pumps, ride tubulars. Caveat emptor correlation is not causation.

oldpotatoe
04-22-2019, 06:42 AM
<edited my original post down significantly>

- Lots of good deals on CF tubulars. people aren’t as attracted to them, leaving some sweet bargains to those who like ‘em. :-)

- I’ve had less flat down-time with my tubulars...and it’s not really due to less pinch flats (pinch flats haven’t really been an issue for me regardless of tire). I just get less flats.

- I’m not happy about Vitoria Corsa Elites being discontinued. Such a great ride for the price. I was getting them for $45 from Ribble. Still on the hunt for tubulars with equal price/performance ratio. That said I LOVE LOVE the 27mm Zipp Tangente Speed SL tubbies I’m on now. So fast, and the ride is amazingly supple.

Happy Easter!

I got 2 of these and am using one..very similar to the Elite

https://www.merlincycles.com/vittoria-rubino-pro-g-all-round-tubular-road-tyre-140868.html

AngryScientist
04-22-2019, 07:07 AM
I got 2 of these and am using one..very similar to the Elite

https://www.merlincycles.com/vittoria-rubino-pro-g-all-round-tubular-road-tyre-140868.html

i agree! these are nice everyday tubular tires and a good price.

let's not let the secret too far out, but right now, rim brake tubular wheels are some of the best deals in cycling. you can have a VERY nice set of wheels for very little money. between the disc brake craze and the fact that most people are a little scared of tubies, now is the time to buy!

8aaron8
04-22-2019, 09:55 AM
Agree with the above. I have recently acquired 2 very nice sets of carbon tubular wheels, at hard to resist prices, after having not ridden tubulars in a number of years. I have forgotten what a joy tubular tires are, even the process of gluing them up. Get them now before the pendulum swings yet again!

Jef58
04-22-2019, 05:26 PM
Didn't mean to throw Ryun's tubulars in this, but they were priced good. So...is it the Racing 0's or holding out for Bora 35's. Curious...

Jeff N.
04-22-2019, 06:49 PM
Jeff N, you won't be able to color coordinate tubulars to water bottles. However, a recent survey showed that 96% of riders who regularly roll with frame pumps, ride tubulars. Caveat emptor correlation is not causation.
I'd find a way.

Jeff N.
04-24-2019, 05:47 PM
What is the closest counterpart in the Fulcrum line to the Bora Ultra 35?

simonov
04-24-2019, 05:49 PM
What is the closest counterpart in the Fulcrum line to the Bora Ultra 35?

Fulcrum Speed 40C or 40T. Amazing wheels.

Jeff N.
04-25-2019, 11:21 AM
I have owned a pair for two years and have ridden them just a handful of times. I can't even remember whether the freehub is Shimano or Campy. If you're interested, I can let them go at a friendly price.PM sent.

AngryScientist
04-27-2019, 08:40 AM
i just got some new Fulcrum rolling stock in, and am very impressed with the quality. cant wait to get some tires mounted and out rolling!

https://instagram.fewr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/621fe3667fdef3f074c3e2c26b47b09b/5D5ADCD4/t51.2885-15/e35/58675185_2143507315703479_1501948345118318629_n.jp g?_nc_ht=instagram.fewr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net

Jeff N.
04-27-2019, 08:50 AM
i just got some new Fulcrum rolling stock in, and am very impressed with the quality. cant wait to get some tires mounted and out rolling!

https://instagram.fewr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/621fe3667fdef3f074c3e2c26b47b09b/5D5ADCD4/t51.2885-15/e35/58675185_2143507315703479_1501948345118318629_n.jp g?_nc_ht=instagram.fewr1-1.fna.fbcdn.netWhich ones are those? I've seen the Fulcrum Zero Carbons and quality is over-the-top.

Jef58
04-27-2019, 11:57 AM
Quattro's..?? If so, I had a set that I sold to my riding friend so I could get the Racing0's. I like the Fulcrum carbons as they fill certain gaps in the Campy line with the same quality.

AngryScientist
04-27-2019, 12:16 PM
Which ones are those? I've seen the Fulcrum Zero Carbons and quality is over-the-top.

mine are the Quattros.

These are 40mm.

So, Bora's come in either 35 or 50 variety, so these are a nice in-between option.

chrisroph
04-27-2019, 01:08 PM
I just got some of the racing quattro carbons and am running them tubed with CG 28s. What a nice riding combination and the braking is excellent, albeit a little noisy but I'm already used to that.

Plum Hill
04-27-2019, 06:21 PM
It seems to me, anyway, (and I might be DEAD wrong) that tubulars really only have a place in high-level racing. I do Centuries. What is the process of changing out a flat, on the side of the road, with tubulars compared to clinchers?

My tubular-riding friends call their wives when they flat.

oldpotatoe
04-28-2019, 07:08 AM

Oh please..more 2nd/3rd/4th hand 'info'...I carry a spare tubular..I've had 2 flats on ONE ride 3 times in 34 years...do your clincher riding 'friends' who don't carry a tube in case of a puncture call their wives? Or do they carry a tube/patchkit/pump?

jamesdak
04-28-2019, 07:46 AM
Oh please..more 2nd/3rd/4th hand 'info'...I carry a spare tubular..I've had 2 flats on ONE ride 3 times in 34 years...do your clincher riding 'friends' who don't carry a tube in case of a puncture call their wives? Or do they carry a tube/patchkit/pump?

Right! I flat maybe once a year. And whether it's a clincher or tubular it's a non-event because I ride prepared to deal with it. Although to be honest.... I've yet to flat a tubular. :p

Wayne77
04-28-2019, 04:46 PM

Two anecdotal things:

1. I raced on my tubular wheels yesterday. Mostly rollers with some punchy climbs. Halfway through the race my rear tire punctured...not a sudden deflate but you could hear the air coming out...with the zit-zit-zit sound as the leak spun around. I had just enough time to tell a teammate (who I had planned to lead out in the sprint) that he was on his own, my tires was going flat and I was likely done for the day. As I started to drift back the hiss stopped...once the pressure was low enough the sealant plugged the hole. By that time the gruppeto was 300 yards up the road. Stop and use my can of Pitstop or spare tubular to finish at least, or keep riding. since I still had a chance to get back into the race, I dug deep and finally managed to catch them. Also managed to lead my friend out in the sprint to get him the win. When I got back to my car I checked the pressure: 45 psi. No way are you going to be able to race a clincher, tubed or tubeless at 45 psi. Tubular, aside from the squish and extra rolling resistance, no problem.

2. After the race I wanted to do some extra riding since it was a beautiful day. Pumped up my tire, and got 200 yards before the hole finally blew wide open. That well worn tire was done. It took me 5 minutes to pull the tire off and put my spare tubular on. I was on my way...no drama at all.

I chalk up the tubular dislike people have more to unfamiliarity and fear of getting stranded...which is totally unfounded.

I’m with the other guy...I flat far less on tubulars too.

Jeff N.
04-28-2019, 05:22 PM
Well then, that settles it...clinchers rule! :eek: