PDA

View Full Version : Best 700x32c tires for road use.

j102
04-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Hello All,
I have been riding my “All-Road” bike with Maxxis Ramblers 700x38c and it’s time to replace them. I originally put the 38s on it thinking I will be doing more gravel rides, but in reality I have been riding road most of the time.
So, I’m looking at 700x32c tires (without knobs) in an effort to gain more speed and still keep some comfort.
Of course, I’m searching for durability, high mileage use, with some flat protection.
I searched the forum but most of the threads on this topic are old.
Please advise. Thanks.

biker72
04-19-2019, 07:29 AM
Continental GP 5000 700x32. I've seen these on sale online for around $64.
The 700x32 Gravelking Slicks are holding up quite well but the Continentals roll a little better.

weisan
04-19-2019, 07:33 AM
I’m searching for durability, high mileage use, with some flat protection

All the following have tire lineups in 32mm configuration, just depending on the tradeoffs you want:

Compass - most supple of all - which gives a nicer, more comfortable ride but maybe wear out faster
Gravelking Slick - less supple, but more versatile and better able to handle rough roads with the occasional venture into smooth gravel
Pasela - much less supple, but of the three, possibly the most durable, get high mileage and better flat protection, great for commuting

Likes2ridefar
04-19-2019, 07:33 AM
I’ve been using clement 32, link below, much pricier than I paid now, FYI. They are tubeless and roll nicely with a tiny bit of bite on the sides. They feel a little more solid on hardback dirt I ride frequently vs a pure road tire but definitely don’t bite that much as I recently discovered while pushing their limits on dirt. They are wearing very nicely too showing zero knicks or cuts after maybe five hundred miles of mostly commuting on not so clean streets and many miles on hard pack dirt.

Another option I’ve used is specialized Roubaix tubeless. It is 30/32. Seemed like good tires but i got a flat on the rear quickly so didn’t get a lot of time on them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0MPGHL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NHAero
04-19-2019, 07:47 AM
If you can find them, Vittoria Voyager Hyper Folding Tire. I run 37 on my Anderson and 32 on my wife's Casseroll. Did really well in the rolling resistance testing, and not pricey. Previous tire was called Randonneur Hyper. Vittoria keeps changing this offering unfortunately, I have a small stock obtained when they went on sale as a closeout.

Vientomas
04-19-2019, 07:56 AM
I have had good success with Panaracer Pasela's in a 32. Mixed use: dirt, gravel and pavement. My only experience with 32's so only one data point. Wear very well and seemed to roll well and have decent suppleness.

Jaybee
04-19-2019, 07:57 AM
If the gravelkings are a little more tire than you want, the Panaracer Race Evo A also comes in 32 flavor. Lighter casing, faster rolling. Excel Sports is the only place I've seen them.

rccardr
04-19-2019, 07:58 AM
Panaracer Gravel King 32's. Have them on several bikes including the Davidson ridden at Eroica several weeks ago. Good roll, glides nicely, acceptable on gravel too. No problem keeping up a 25mph pace on pavement.

I think better than the Pasela and based on my experience, more resistant to puncture.

Have not tried the GP 32's but if they are anything like the 28's, they'll be as good or better than the GK's.

parris
04-19-2019, 07:58 AM
Wei pal quick question. Did you find the Gravel Kings run true to size or do they tend to "grow" a bit?

weisan
04-19-2019, 08:19 AM
Wei pal quick question. Did you find the Gravel Kings run true to size or do they tend to "grow" a bit?

They "grow" especially when pair up with a wide profile rim which is what I used. I was counting on them to "grow" :-)

I also have the SK version for gravel and they used to label them as "40" and when I mount them, they come up to about 43. Now, they label them as "43", since then it has stopped "growing". hahaha...

Davist
04-19-2019, 08:28 AM
Continental 4 season 32s. Forum sponsor bike tires direct had a deal for $34 each. Superior tires, very durable, not a cut on them over this winter/gravel, about 2k miles. measure close to a "true" 32 as opposed to my summer gp4ks2 28s (ie I have basically the same width of both at about 33-34mm)

fmradio516
04-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Just another data point; Not sure if this is an anomaly, but I have always ridden 25c GP4000 on my road bike, then I recently got a "gravel" bike that I put the slick Compass 32s on(I dont go off road), and while theyre more comfortable, I certainly feel way sluggish climbing some of the really big hills around here. Hard to get used to for me, even at full tire pressure. I may try 28s..

shoota
04-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Just another data point; Not sure if this is an anomaly, but I have always ridden 25c GP4000 on my road bike, then I recently got a "gravel" bike that I put the slick Compass 32s on(I dont go off road), and while theyre more comfortable, I certainly feel way sluggish climbing some of the really big hills around here. Hard to get used to for me, even at full tire pressure. I may try 28s..

There really is a big difference between 25s and 32s. Seems like high quality 28s would be the sweet spot for you.

Big Dan
04-19-2019, 09:01 AM
You should give the GP4000 size 28 a shot.
Beefy enough and nice handling.
Also they run big.

Hilltopperny
04-19-2019, 09:01 AM
If the gravelkings are a little more tire than you want, the Panaracer Race Evo A also comes in 32 flavor. Lighter casing, faster rolling. Excel Sports is the only place I've seen them.I have a set of 32 Panaracer Evo race gravel slicks that I mounted and never rode, but they look like a faster rolling Gravel King. I also like the Gravel Kings in 28 and 32 for the same purposes.

I have at least 3 current bikes with different size Gravel Kings and they have been bulletproof. They last, have puncture protection and roll over pavement better than a lot of more race oriented tires IMO.

If you need a set of 32mm gravel kings or would like to try out the Gravel Race Evo Panaracer I have a new in package set of 32 gravel kings in army green and the gravel race Evo in all black mounted with tubes, but never ridden that I'd sell below retail.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

bikinchris
04-19-2019, 09:04 AM
Something that fits into a slot between the Pasela and the GP 4 Seasons is the Ultra Gatorskins in 700x32. I use them on the back of my touring bike and find them great.

Kirk007
04-19-2019, 09:07 AM
for road feel and suppleness its hard to beat Compass. Gotta get the pressure right to avoid that sluggish feeling climbing Panaracer EVOs are nice in general. I've used Racer D 28s, and Racer A 28s, both grow a little but not a lot.

Surprise tire for me, and what I use in the winter is the Specialized Roubaix Pro tubeless ready 30/32. It's a 32 on Boyd rims and it is really nice and at about $40 a tire a relative bargain.

David Kirk
04-19-2019, 09:14 AM
After trying a few different 32's I landed on the Compass and it's hard to imagine a better ride.

dave

j102
04-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Thanks everyone. Good choices here.
The Panaracer tires get good reviews.
Compass tires and Continental tires are good too, but it appears they roll slower.
Between the GKs and the EVOs, which one rolls faster without compromising durability/flat protection?

R3awak3n
04-19-2019, 09:38 AM
I have been pretty happy with Spesh Roubaix in 32mm. They are pretty great. Sure they are not as confy as compass but I think I prefer em to GKs. Also they set up tubeless no problem. Really depends what you are after, fast, supple, go compass. Slightly slower, durable go something like the roubaix.

Jaybee
04-19-2019, 09:43 AM
Compass tires and Continental tires are good too, but it appears they roll slower.
Between the GKs and the EVOs, which one rolls faster without compromising durability/flat protection?

Even though I brought up the EVOs, I don't have any firsthand experience with them. I do have a pair on the shelf waiting for my current Gravelkings to wear out. Word is that they roll a little faster than GKs.

For my riding, GKs roll just fine. Not really wanting to pay Compass/Rene Herse prices, not that in to Continental tires. The Spesh Roubaix 30/32 is a pretty intriguing tire too.

weisan
04-19-2019, 11:19 AM
All the following have tire lineups in 32mm configuration, just depending on the tradeoffs you want:

Compass - most supple of all - which gives a nicer, more comfortable ride but maybe wear out faster
Gravelking Slick - less supple, but more versatile and better able to handle rough roads with the occasional venture into smooth gravel
Pasela - much less supple, but of the three, possibly the most durable, get high mileage and better flat protection, great for commuting

Oh yes, almost forgot about Specialized Roubaix Pro tubeless ready 30/32 that a number of folks mentioned already.

They are very nice indeed.
I got them during their annual sale "buy one get one free", so ended up with a set of tires for $40. You can't beat that!

All things considered, I would rate them on top of the heap.

82Picchio
04-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Another Compass aficionado here. I have their tires in sizes ranging from 26 to 42 on a half-dozen bikes.

Lovetoclimb
04-19-2019, 12:30 PM
Specialized Roubaix 2bliss version

RFC
04-19-2019, 12:34 PM
Something that fits into a slot between the Pasela and the GP 4 Seasons is the Ultra Gatorskins in 700x32. I use them on the back of my touring bike and find them great.

+1 I have 32mm on my BMC. Fast and much more supple than the Gator 23's

bigbill
04-19-2019, 12:39 PM
I've got Maxxis Refuse in 32mm on my Boyd Altamont wheel set. I run them tubeless and they roll like butter. Heavy butter.

j102
04-19-2019, 01:08 PM
I've got Maxxis Refuse in 32mm on my Boyd Altamont wheel set. I run them tubeless and they roll like butter. Heavy butter.

I like Maxxis tires and have them on my bikes. But, there are not too many reviews on the Refuse tires. I guess they are not as popular.

unterhausen
04-19-2019, 01:11 PM
I am running 32mm refuse right now and could not get the front to seat properly. Warrantied one and the replacement was just as bad. But I think you could use one as a sword in a pinch, the anti-flat band is very stout.

I am considering going back to Gravel king slicks. I wear them out fairly fast, and I got the Refuse after having a couple of flats with the GK. Could have just been bad luck though.

madsciencenow
04-19-2019, 01:42 PM
I have a set of 32 Panaracer Evo race gravel slicks that I mounted and never rode, but they look like a faster rolling Gravel King. I also like the Gravel Kings in 28 and 32 for the same purposes.

I have at least 3 current bikes with different size Gravel Kings and they have been bulletproof. They last, have puncture protection and roll over pavement better than a lot of more race oriented tires IMO.

If you need a set of 32mm gravel kings or would like to try out the Gravel Race Evo Panaracer I have a new in package set of 32 gravel kings in army green and the gravel race Evo in all black mounted with tubes, but never ridden that I'd sell below retail.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I've also used the GK28s with good luck and they roll pretty well. I bought them for my road bike before I had a gravel bike and now they are just hanging in my garage. I've also got a pair of Conti GP 4000s in size 28 that aren't getting much use and I could part with. If you are interested, shoot me a PM. Not really trying to make a bunch off these but offering them up if OP or someone else is interested in trying and doesn't want to pay full freight for a tire they aren't sure about.

donevwil
04-19-2019, 01:53 PM
Grand Bois Cypres (advertised as 30mm, but are 32mm) are another great option. For all intents and purposes identical to the standard Compass/Rene Stampede Pass at ~$12 - $15 less per.

donalrey
04-19-2019, 02:32 PM
+1 on Compass / Rene Herse. Although, I've never tried the 32c, I feel like the 35c and 38c are as fast as the 28c. Right now I have the 35c for my all around-er and the 26" RTP for my all-all-around-er-er with the Juniper Ridge on my 650b set up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I never looked back to riding other tires after riding Compass / Rene Herse tires.

mhespenheide
04-19-2019, 04:31 PM
I haven't bought/ridden Compass tires, but at the lower end, GravelKings and the Panaracer EVO R are both quite good.

I'd not recommend Continental's GP4000 or Gatorskins in 32mm; both rode heavy and harsh, like they were built with stiffer sidewalls.

weisan
04-19-2019, 05:03 PM
I know this is not what the original poster is asking but in case anyone is wondering...

For any events or riding that involved maybe 80-90% paved road and 10-20% smooth to not too gnarly type gravel during the ride, and if it could fit on your bike, i know what my first choice is going to be :

Gravel king SK 35 mm

If it gets a bit more gnarly or the percentage gets flipped over, 10-20% paved and 80-90% gravel, I would immediately jump to

Gravel king SK 650b X 48mm

http://alicehui.com/bike/rides/IMG_4646.jpg

Without any hesitation.

If it fits, that is.

deechee
04-19-2019, 07:02 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jack Browns @700x33.3. (https://www.rivbike.com/products/jack-brown-blue-700c-x-33-333-tough-10092-blue) I believe they're Panaracers, and I enjoy the ride on my black mountain. I'd love to try Compass tires but they're not carried by the main distributors in Canada so cost is prohibitive. I got the Jack Browns for pretty cheap and very happy with them. The only other "fat" tire I had were Bruce Gordon Rock n' Roads which were great too, but for my daily commute the Jack Browns are perfect.

j102
04-20-2019, 09:03 PM
I'd not recommend Continental's GP4000 or Gatorskins in 32mm; both rode heavy and harsh, like they were built with stiffer sidewalls.

What do you mean by rode heavy? Do you mean slow?

j102
04-20-2019, 09:06 PM
...Continental tires are good too, but it appears they roll slower...

I might have to recall the above statement.
I have been reading reviews of the Continental GP 5000 and they look good.

mhespenheide
04-20-2019, 10:33 PM
What do you mean by rode heavy? Do you mean slow?

By "heavy", I mean that they felt harder to accelerate up to speed from a standing start compared to the EVO R, the GravelKings, and the GP4000 in 28mm (that last should be obvious based on the masses of the two tires).

With the same bike and the same wheels, riding the same inflation psi (to the limit that my pump is precise) on the same roads, the Continental tires rode more harshly than the Panaracers and GravelKings. The Panaracer EVOs and GravelKings did a better job absorbing bumps in the road and smoothing out rough asphalt.

If you're scientifically curious, you should run your own tests, but that's what I found.

I would speculate that Continental manufactured the 32mm tires with a different sidewall stiffness, because I really like the GP4000 in their 28mm size. I can't think of another explanation unless it's just simple sample variance.

I haven't tried the new GP5000, but I'm happy with the EVO R and the GravelKings I have now. The new GP5000 could well be different.

geordanh
04-20-2019, 11:57 PM
not a 32, but g one speed in 30 or 35mm are AMAZING. wear out fast though but that's the tradeoff

marciero
04-21-2019, 06:08 AM

Just to be clear, the Compass, GK, Jack Brown, Pasela, etc. are all made by Panaracer.

Consensus seems to be (and tests (BQ and others) seem to show) that Compass/Rene Herse are among the best performance-wise; i.e., dont roll slower. Especially the EL versions. The sluggishness that fmradio described with Compass 32 was based on a comparison with 25mm tires. Feeling sluggish and being slower are two different things. I have found that 28mm is sort of the cutoff handling-wise where bikes go from feeling like sports cars to... sluggish maybe not the right word but sort of.

While some tires seem to be less flat prone than others-thicker tread, less supple casing-do know that "flat protection" (your original post) usually refers to an additional layer such as kevlar between the casing and the tread. These tires are going to be significant compromise in ride quality and performance. Of the tires discussed here these would include Gatorskins. Also know that AFAIK all the evidence regarding flat-resistance is anecdotal*.

I dont see the benefit of going from 38 to 32 other than you like the handling. The aerodynamic benefit- much discussed/disputed-would be negligible.

*Edit: I am referring here to tires without the additional flat protection.

Ralph
04-21-2019, 07:23 AM
I've been riding some 700X32 Continental Gatorskins on a bike I mainly just ride around on with my wife. Prefer to not have to worry about flats. Normally avoid Gatorskins, because past history with them in smaller sizes told me their durability and longevity just not worth the harsh ride. But on this bike...in 700X32's, no complaints with ride at all at air pressures of around 70-80 rear and 60-65 front. Still....would not wish to imply they are supple. They are Ok though. And they are very durable and long lasting. It's all a trade off.

j102
04-21-2019, 10:05 AM
By "heavy", I mean that they felt harder to accelerate up to speed from a standing start compared to the EVO R, the GravelKings, and the GP4000 in 28mm (that last should be obvious based on the masses of the two tires).

With the same bike and the same wheels, riding the same inflation psi (to the limit that my pump is precise) on the same roads, the Continental tires rode more harshly than the Panaracers and GravelKings. The Panaracer EVOs and GravelKings did a better job absorbing bumps in the road and smoothing out rough asphalt.

If you're scientifically curious, you should run your own tests, but that's what I found.

I would speculate that Continental manufactured the 32mm tires with a different sidewall stiffness, because I really like the GP4000 in their 28mm size. I can't think of another explanation unless it's just simple sample variance.

I haven't tried the new GP5000, but I'm happy with the EVO R and the GravelKings I have now. The new GP5000 could well be different.

Thanks for the explanation. It’s good to hear it from someone who has tried those tires.

j102
04-21-2019, 10:13 AM
...I dont see the benefit of going from 38 to 32 other than you like the handling. The aerodynamic benefit- much discussed/disputed-would be negligible....

You are probably right, but since I’m going from a tire will small knobs to a tire without knobs, might as well go for the small difference in speed and handling a slimmer tire could provide.

j102
04-21-2019, 10:20 AM
I've been riding some 700X32 Continental Gatorskins on a bike I mainly just ride around on with my wife. Prefer to not have to worry about flats. Normally avoid Gatorskins, because past history with them in smaller sizes told me their durability and longevity just not worth the harsh ride. But on this bike...in 700X32's, no complaints with ride at all at air pressures of around 70-80 rear and 60-65 front. Still....would not wish to imply they are supple. They are Ok though. And they are very durable and long lasting. It's all a trade off.

Thanks. Yep, it’s a trade off. There is no perfect tire....

KidWok
04-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. Been using them for years on the road. Great wet weather grip, durability, and pretty good ride quality.

Tai

j102
04-26-2019, 10:22 AM
I was considering the Continental GP 5000s as my first choice, but I found a deal on the Continental Gatorskins 700x32c. For the price, I am going to give them a try.

Bostic
04-26-2019, 10:43 AM
Now that I have more rides (mainly commuting) on them I can concur with what Angry said regarding the Conti 700x32 4 Seasons. They are not pleasant. Getting up to speed from a red light is sluggish at best.

R3awak3n
04-26-2019, 12:07 PM
I was considering the Continental GP 5000s as my first choice, but I found a deal on the Continental Gatorskins 700x32c. For the price, I am going to give them a try.

yeah I would definitely skip those if I were you.

Onion
04-26-2019, 01:10 PM
i'm going to throw this out there since i haven't seen them mentioned in the conversation. i am a big fan of wtb tires. i have some horizons (650x47) on the commuter, some senderos (650x47) on the sscx, and i just starting riding the exposure 30s on the synapse. i am a big fan of these tires. supple, good handling/cornering, accelerate up pretty quick. they are sluggish on climbs, but if you are running 30s at 65 psi that's gonna happen. plus wtb tires last forever.

j102
04-26-2019, 01:50 PM
yeah I would definitely skip those if I were you.

I got two for $30. If I don’t like them, I’ll throw them away.
Keep in mind, the intention is pure road riding. They have to be more comfortable than 23c or 25c tires.

559Rando
04-26-2019, 08:37 PM
Feeling sluggish and being slower are two different things.

Yesh!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

559Rando
04-26-2019, 08:37 PM
I got two for $30. If I don’t like them, I’ll throw them away.
Keep in mind, the intention is pure road riding. They have to be more comfortable than 23c or 25c tires.I'll take em!

j102
04-26-2019, 10:14 PM
I'll take em!

LOL.
I installed them earlier tonight, but I don’t think I’ll be able to ride tomorrow. A friend sold them to me, and have other friends waiting to try them as well. Worse case, it would be a good experiment.