PDA

View Full Version : OT: Jeopardy-Who else is amazed?

pinkshogun
04-18-2019, 10:24 PM
The Eddy Merckx of Jeopardy has won over 700k in just 11 games.

Ken Robb
04-18-2019, 11:16 PM
The breadth of his knowledge is amazing as is his speed of recall.

pjm
04-18-2019, 11:52 PM
He’s a professional sports gambler, and a gambler on the show, too. I feel sorry for his competitors. They have no chance.

Bruce K
04-19-2019, 05:19 AM
Jeopardy is one of my few “must watches”

He is other worldly

4 highest one day totals in show history and I am sure the highest daily average

At first I thought he was kind of a jerk but the emotion around his grandmother and some of his other personal stories ended that pretty quickly

I would love to see him in an all-star match. I think he would wreck Ken Jennings and the other big names of Jeopardy history

BK

charliedid
04-19-2019, 05:43 AM
I've seen the headlines.

I've only been an occasional watcher at best over the years but always liked it. The guy (I assume) has a photographic memory and some of the best recall ever. How does this end? Does Jeopardy have a winnings cap?

The fact that he is a pro gambler just adds to the intrigue.

Bruce K
04-19-2019, 07:09 AM
The gambler in him pops up fairly often.

He has wagered WAY more on the Daily Doubles than most folks would even think about - often going “all in”.

I do not believe they have a winnings cap at this time. But that may change soon...:eek:

When his run ends it will be interesting to see who does it and how it happens.

BK

Zee
04-19-2019, 08:15 AM
With his history, I don't know if he'll ever leave himself in a place to lose at Final Jeopardy. If anything takes him out, it will be ego by going too deep and answering incorrectly.

It's quick math to figure out if he competitors double up with a correct answer and him to answer incorrectly.

771K to date. Laughable. Ratings have to be climbing and while I thought it was going to be from the cancer announcement, this has to play a role as well.

charliedid
04-19-2019, 08:20 AM
All in on the Daily Double is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raygunner
04-19-2019, 09:13 AM
I thought Charles Van Doren just died?!

Matthew
04-19-2019, 09:15 AM
My wife and I have been watching. This guy is amazing. The other day he has 71k before the final jeopardy I believe and his two competitors have 1k or so each. I can't see anyone taking him out. Not sure how this will end but it's fun to watch.

Mzilliox
04-19-2019, 09:16 AM
Note how he also jumps around the board, not allowing his competition to get "clued in".

He acts quickly too to make sure all categories are covered, nothing left on the board

Dudes a machine, and likely one of the least fun people on the planet

BlueFly
04-19-2019, 09:20 AM
I was listening to the radio recently and they were discussing if this run qualifies him as "brilliant". The conversation on the side A was that when you think of someone who is brilliant, s/he is doing something to promote the betterment of society. Side B took the view that anyone that has the gift of being able to remember / know answers on a breadth of topics may not being contributing to the betterment of society but that does not take away from his current win streak.....

I am enjoying watching this win streak.

Matthew
04-19-2019, 09:24 AM
Not sure we should judge the guy and his contributions to society by watching a game show. Anyone on that radio show actually know him. I doubt it. He seems pretty brilliant to me.

Ken Robb
04-19-2019, 10:18 AM
I think the operators of Jeopardy LOVE having a superstar on a long run of wins because it surely attracts a wider audience by assuring loyalty among regular and/or occasional viewers and bringing in new viewers who want to see what the fuss is all about. Surely some of the new folks will like the show and become regular viewers after the star is gone.

I have always wondered if the group putting on the show selected topics for shows based on which of the three contestants they wanted to win. They certainly know their strengths and weaknesses based on qualifying tests and practice games. Leslie and I watch it most nights and kind of play along. We usually do as well as most contestants but if the topics of current TV shows or pop music since 1990 come up we are LOST! Of course neither Jennings nor this guy seem to have a gap in their knowledge. :eek::)

Climb01742
04-19-2019, 10:31 AM
A slight but relevant thread drift: Anyone watch the Showtime series on sports gambling and gamblers called 'Action'? It was an interesting look into the minds and lives of sports gamblers in Vegas. Having seen this guy on Jeopardy, it's interesting to see his gambling intelligence applied to a game show.

echappist
04-19-2019, 11:10 AM
Jeopardy is a bit meh. Much prefer BBC’s University Challenge, even though i know much fewer of the answers on University Challenge.

There’s a video of Stephen Fry terrorizing the opposition. Pretty hilarious

82Picchio
04-19-2019, 11:33 AM
What's amazing to me is how few times this has happened in the history of the show, which ran 1974-'75, 1978-'79, and has been on continuously since 1984.

MattTuck
04-19-2019, 12:26 PM
the cynic in me wonders if this is all part of a push to grow the show's attention given the very real possibility of Alex Trebek leaving.

I've taken the online jeopardy test 3 times now, and I'm pretty sure if they wanted to end his run that they could find others with near perfect scores to challenge him a bit more.

His playing style is similar to the way Watson went through the board, for what its worth. If you have the ability to recall answers to the hardest questions, then it makes sense to go for them first before your competitors get 'warmed up' on a topic.

MattTuck
04-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Jeopardy is a bit meh. Much prefer BBC’s University Challenge, even though i know much fewer of the answers on University Challenge.

Not familiar with that. I'll have to check it out.

WNC rider
04-19-2019, 12:33 PM
Much prefer BBC’s University Challenge, even though i know much fewer of the answers on University Challenge.

The episode with contestants from Scumbag College and Footlights College Oxbridge was pretty entertaining. :)

The Challenge part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYVM4H5_ZY

full episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZPZC12t7Yg

:banana:

echappist
04-19-2019, 01:08 PM
Not familiar with that. I'll have to check it out.

you may be pleasantly surprised. Better brush up on your cell bio and biochem :)

The episode with contestants from Scumbag College and Footlights College Oxbridge was pretty entertaining. :)

The Challenge part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYVM4H5_ZY

full episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZPZC12t7Yg

:banana:

that's great! thanks!

Stephan Fry as Lord Snot :)

they ought to have him as the quiz master; just imagine all the witty snark he'll hurl

fiamme red
04-24-2019, 07:23 PM
I watched Jeopardy for the first time today in about 20 years, so I guess he's good for the ratings.

I'm surprised he didn't get the Ferrari Testarossa question.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/24/arts/jeopardy-james-holzhauer-interview.html

bikinchris
04-24-2019, 07:42 PM

In that case, if It's so easy, you should go on Jeopardy. There is a lot of money to be made. I look forward to seeing you on the show!

Mzilliox
04-24-2019, 08:04 PM
In that case, if It's so easy, you should go on Jeopardy. There is a lot of money to be made. I look forward to seeing you on the show!

well played
:banana::fight:

echappist
04-24-2019, 08:18 PM

I offer an unfavorable take at a gameshow that you appear to like (without impugning you per se), and your retort is an ad hominem?

I merely said i know fewer answers on University Challenge than I do on Jeopardy, and state that despite the fact that I know fewer of the answers, I enjoy the other show.

kindly point to where in my original post (see below) I said anything about I would do well in Jeopardy.

bikinchris
04-24-2019, 11:19 PM
I offer an unfavorable take at a gameshow that you appear to like (without impugning you per se), and your retort is an ad hominem?

I merely said i know fewer answers on University Challenge than I do on Jeopardy, and state that despite the fact that I know fewer of the answers, I enjoy the other show.

kindly point to where in my original post (see below) I said anything about I would do well in Jeopardy.

No offense meant. It is just that with Jeopardy, your typical contestant has gaps in knowledge: e.g. the time all three missed every single sports question. No one can know it all. University Challenge sounds very hard, but that is much more specific knowledge.
I am willing to bet with the diverse range of subjects Jeopardy has, they would miss more questions than you do.

marciero
04-25-2019, 07:22 AM
Interesting analysis on fivethirtyeight on his strategy and some data analysis.

Part of his strategy is to find the daily double, as others have done (locations are not random and there are hotspots), but not too early so that he can build a stack first. Then he bets large. He made a mock-up to practice his buzzer technique.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-man-who-solved-jeopardy/

BikeNY
04-25-2019, 07:39 AM
Our family watches Jeopardy pretty religiously. Our DVR is set to record every episode and we either watch it later that night, or if we miss a few days, watch a bunch in one sitting.

The show has never seen somebody like him. He is obviously super intelligent with a photographic memory or whatever, but he is also able to recall those facts super quick, and rarely gets a question wrong. He has obviously also studied up on he tactics and using them to his considerable advantage. His gambling background is clearly being used to great effect as well.

The amazing thing to me is not just that he was won I think 15 days in a row now, but the money totals he is winning are off the chart. Ken Jennings averaged I think around $34K per win, James average is more than double that, around $75K! Only once was the game not over before Final Jeopardy.

Whether the show is catering to him I have no idea, but I don't think he needs it. I also thought he was kind of a jerk at first, but have warmed up to him. I think he has worked on his television presence to come across as more personable, and it's worked.

I'm very interested to see how this ends...

PQJ
04-25-2019, 08:32 AM
He's fun to watch and definitely "brilliant." I bet NBC loves him (he is the only reason I have tuned in the past few nights; first time in 20+ years). It seems to me as if Alex Trebek is not a fan and can't wait to see him lose.

redir
04-25-2019, 09:04 AM
I like that show but have not had time to watch it. Sounds like someone is giving Ken Jennings a run.

Mzilliox
04-25-2019, 09:37 AM
Our family watches Jeopardy pretty religiously. Our DVR is set to record every episode and we either watch it later that night, or if we miss a few days, watch a bunch in one sitting.

The show has never seen somebody like him. He is obviously super intelligent with a photographic memory or whatever, but he is also able to recall those facts super quick, and rarely gets a question wrong. He has obviously also studied up on he tactics and using them to his considerable advantage. His gambling background is clearly being used to great effect as well.

The amazing thing to me is not just that he was won I think 15 days in a row now, but the money totals he is winning are off the chart. Ken Jennings averaged I think around $34K per win, James average is more than double that, around $75K! Only once was the game not over before Final Jeopardy.

Whether the show is catering to him I have no idea, but I don't think he needs it. I also thought he was kind of a jerk at first, but have warmed up to him. I think he has worked on his television presence to come across as more personable, and it's worked.

I'm very interested to see how this ends...

haha, this is funny. hes not a jerk, hes a savant with no social skills. Probably something like Asperger syndrome. when normal brains cant keep up with yours, what have you to talk with folks about?

dancinkozmo
04-25-2019, 10:23 AM
i prefer half wits to jeopardy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=eTDsJd1l7Aw

fiamme red
04-25-2019, 10:29 AM
I thought Charles Van Doren just died?!Here's the famed "Twenty-One" battle between Van Doren and Stempel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVnGLks--oA. Some pretty good acting there!

marciero
04-25-2019, 10:55 AM
haha, this is funny. hes not a jerk, hes a savant with no social skills. Probably something like Asperger syndrome. when normal brains cant keep up with yours, what have you to talk with folks about?

There are a lot of really smart people in the world. Nothing to do with being a jerk, savant, spectrum, or not.

MattTuck
04-25-2019, 11:07 AM
read an article talking about Coryat scores, and him and Jennings are pretty close. Which means that his real difference is in the wagers he makes.

But even setting aside these successful bets, Holzhauer is outperforming Jennings—and every other contestant, ever—in providing correct responses. Jeopardy devotees tally up something called a “Coryat score” (named for a 1996 contestant named Karl Coryat), which reflects a player’s raw trivia and buzzer abilities, isolated out from the rewards of smart betting. The figure is calculated, more or less, by adding up the value of every correct response a player gives, and subtracting the value of every incorrect response.

According to Andy Saunders, who runs a site called The Jeopardy! Fan, the average Coryat score of a Jeopardy contestant is $11,300. Through 14 games, Jennings’s was $28,786. So far, Holzhauer has him beat by about $1,000—which makes his the highest Coryat score ever. (For the record, the highest conceivable Jeopardy score, wagers included, has been calculated to be $566,400, though this would require a highly unusual arrangement of Daily Doubles, to say nothing of being able to buzz in and give every single correct response.)

torquer
04-26-2019, 12:43 PM
On topic, the NYTimes mentions Holzhauer losing a daily double bet after flubbing a question about the Tour de France.
Wonder what that question was.

thegunner
04-26-2019, 01:11 PM

i haven't seen any indication that he lacks social skills... where is that assessment coming from?

he just seems plain smart to be honest.

Buzz Killington
04-26-2019, 06:45 PM
Who are three people who’ve never been in my kitchen? I still remember that line from lord knows how long ago.

echappist
04-26-2019, 07:22 PM
On topic, the NYTimes mentions Holzhauer losing a daily double bet after flubbing a question about the Tour de France.

do you know on which day's broadcast this was? youtube has "grey market" video of the games; or perhaps someone has already transcribed the entire event into text?

ducati2
04-26-2019, 07:56 PM

In 1903 Maurice Garin was its first winner in 94 hours, 33 minutes, 14 seconds

wc1934
04-26-2019, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=torquer;2532665]On topic, the NYTimes mentions Holzhauer losing a daily double bet after flubbing a question about the Tour de France.
Wonder what that question was.[/QUOT.

Hawker
04-26-2019, 09:25 PM

Ques: "Who is in the record books as having won seven Tours De France?"

Ans: "No one."

Bruce K
04-27-2019, 05:05 AM
Fairly early on -

He answered “What is the Paris-Dhakar Rally?”

BK

pinkshogun
04-27-2019, 09:56 AM
If and when he loses, jeopardy will be a little less exciting. I watch 1 year reruns of jeopardy and my attention is not held as much as watching this current champ

fiamme red
06-03-2019, 10:42 PM
I'm shocked that it's over. I expected him to keep winning for years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/arts/television/james-holzhauer-jeopardy.html

bikinchris
06-04-2019, 08:37 PM
I'm shocked that it's over. I expected him to keep winning for years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/arts/television/james-holzhauer-jeopardy.html

No matter how good you are at anything, someone else can beat you at your own game.
His tactics can be copied and he can't know everything.

cloudguy
06-05-2019, 01:17 AM
No matter how good you are at anything, someone else can beat you at your own game.

https://entertainment.theonion.com/jeopardy-bans-obsessive-weirdos-who-ruin-the-fun-by-1835242304?/setsession

Mzilliox
06-05-2019, 01:37 AM
https://entertainment.theonion.com/jeopardy-bans-obsessive-weirdos-who-ruin-the-fun-by-1835242304?/setsession

Like pros in gravel races

marciero
06-05-2019, 06:10 AM

Not better per se, it's more like "on any given Sunday..."

pinkshogun
06-05-2019, 07:25 AM
some feel that when he was behind going into final jeopardy that he bagged it, hence his low wager

rumor has it that his youngin' missed him

either way, we saw greatness and dominance

my favorite player is still Alex Jacob, a professional poker player who always bet it all after finding the daily doubles

Veloo
06-05-2019, 07:31 AM
Yeah, I thought it seemed a bit weird. Read somewhere that he bid enough not to come last but if he's a pro gambler then why no just risk it all to come fight another day? The topic didn't seem too far fethced either. Some Shakespeare thing? I thought he was at least gonna get the right answer.

some feel that when he was behind going into final jeopardy that he bagged it, hence his low wager

rumor has it that his youngin' missed him

either way, we saw greatness and dominance

my favorite player is still Alex Jacob, a professional poker player who always bet it all after finding the daily doubles

Climb01742
06-05-2019, 08:38 AM
I was perplexed, too, until seeing this:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/jeopardy-james-holzhauer-wager-loss

Ever the follow-the-odds gambler. Can't wait for his match with Ken Jennings.

Veloo
06-05-2019, 08:53 AM
Saw this midway down the article. Shaking my head...

'JEOPARDY!' LOSES TOP RATINGS SPOT TO 'JUDGE JUDY' WITHOUT JAMES HOLZHAUER

I was perplexed, too, until seeing this:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/jeopardy-james-holzhauer-wager-loss

Ever the follow-the-odds gambler. Can't wait for his match with Ken Jennings.

oldpotatoe
06-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Saw this midway down the article. Shaking my head...

'JEOPARDY!' LOSES TOP RATINGS SPOT TO 'JUDGE JUDY' WITHOUT JAMES HOLZHAUER

Fake news.....:)

Climb01742
06-05-2019, 10:13 AM
I found James' fame from Jeopardy refreshing and restored, a bit, my faith in our world. Today, 99% of fame seems to come from BS stuff, too much from social media hijinks.

But what James did on Jeopardy was because he was smart, he studied and read (loved his insight about using kid's books to learn arcane subjects), and practiced buzzing in, and used his gambler's savvy and nerve to play the game a new way. Ok, not curing cancer, but he did something remarkable because he used his brain. He earned his money and fame.

And the woman who beat him? She wrote her master's thesis on a computer-based analysis of Jeopardy questions. She did her homework, too. And was smart as a whip. And fast, too, on the buzzer. And bet bravely too.

Fame you earn the hard way. Wow, what a concept. A small but nice thing.

MattTuck
06-05-2019, 10:26 AM
The one thing I found strange, was that of all the days he was on the show, he presented a card from his daughter to Alex to "get well soon" or something like that.... on the last day of his run.

Kind of unlikely, no?

CSKeller
06-05-2019, 11:35 AM
I found James' fame from Jeopardy refreshing and restored, a bit, my faith in our world. Today, 99% of fame seems to come from BS stuff, too much from social media hijinks.

But what James did on Jeopardy was because he was smart, he studied and read (loved his insight about using kid's books to learn arcane subjects), and practiced buzzing in, and used his gambler's savvy and nerve to play the game a new way. Ok, not curing cancer, but he did something remarkable because he used his brain. He earned his money and fame.

And the woman who beat him? She wrote her master's thesis on a computer-based analysis of Jeopardy questions. She did her homework, too. And was smart as a whip. And fast, too, on the buzzer. And bet bravely too.

Fame you earn the hard way. Wow, what a concept. A small but nice thing.

I agree with Climb1742 100%. Really refreshing to see!

Hawker
06-05-2019, 12:50 PM
Followed this for the last three weeks and my wife and I were mesmerized by the stuff he knew. However, the way he played the last game seemed weird. He didn't buzz in on a lot of things and his low bid at the end were all a bit confusing. My first thought was that he was sandbagging. Maybe his wife was getting tired of it all? Still, I would have thought he would have stuck around long enough to break Jennings record????

Have they had him pee in a cup? ;)

jb_11
06-06-2019, 09:43 AM
Followed this for the last three weeks and my wife and I were mesmerized by the stuff he knew. However, the way he played the last game seemed weird. He didn't buzz in on a lot of things and his low bid at the end were all a bit confusing. My first thought was that he was sandbagging. Maybe his wife was getting tired of it all? Still, I would have thought he would have stuck around long enough to break Jennings record????

Have they had him pee in a cup? ;)

I followed casually in the last 2 weeks as well. I think it came down to luck in the end. Emma got all the daily doubles and went into final with a lead. Someone linked his final wager strategy above, which is sound when you consider the only way for him to win was for her to miss (assuming she bet to cover, which she did).

bikinchris
06-06-2019, 03:43 PM
I followed casually in the last 2 weeks as well. I think it came down to luck in the end. Emma got all the daily doubles and went into final with a lead. Someone linked his final wager strategy above, which is sound when you consider the only way for him to win was for her to miss (assuming she bet to cover, which she did).

True he couldn't have won since he never got any of the daily doubles.
Some people see a conspiracy everywhere.