PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with it?

weisan
04-18-2019, 06:53 AM
Some people like to collect stamps...and I used to when I was kid, not anymore....

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/52d6253ee4b00babd0865e9f/t/52d72e25e4b0796add7b2e83/1454524530084/how-to-collect-stamps.jpg

Her jam happened to be shoes....LOTS OF SHOES!!!
https://www.abc.net.au/news/image/7877260-3x2-700x467.jpg

These Gents have a special passion for fountain pens...
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9KUHe5WZsRs/maxresdefault.jpg

This young man likes vacuum cleaners...wait, what? vacuum cleaners!!??
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/vaccum.jpg

He likes model cars...
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/fredericknewspost.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/36/4366fd42-bd08-550d-82b7-23fcdd55429d/515f417227b3c.image.jpg

Of course, his wealthy cousin collect the ones that actually run on the roads if he chooses to...
https://cdn.mutually.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Jay-Leno-EC.jpg

Mine happens to be...BIKES! :eek:
http://alicehui.com/bike/garage/IMG_1236.jpg

What's wrong with it? :rolleyes:

Discuss. ;)

oldpotatoe
04-18-2019, 07:00 AM
doh!!

bicycletricycle
04-18-2019, 07:06 AM
Ain’t nothing wrong with it

Andy sti
04-18-2019, 08:27 AM
Weisan pal, I like your style!

Nooch
04-18-2019, 08:32 AM
What would be nice is having room for collections... living in an un-dormared cape cod takes away a lot of the wall space one might have to hang things or put display cases up...

Red Tornado
04-18-2019, 09:39 AM
I think you might have more inventory than some small bike shops I've visited!

2LeftCleats
04-18-2019, 10:11 AM
My toenail clippings take up way less space.

old_fat_and_slow
04-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Nothing, but you definitely need a bigger man cave. I'd like to see you actually take that celeste colored bike in the upper RHS of the picture out for a ride. I bet that would take you at least 30 minutes to get that one out.

When you have that many choices how does one determine which to ride on a particular day? Do you just have a favorite one or two that get most of the attention?

AngryScientist
04-18-2019, 10:59 AM
if it makes you happy...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ahvURFVTV9Y/maxresdefault.jpg

parris
04-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Weisan Pal if you ditch that bulky box fan for something more compact you can probably get 2 more bikes up on the wall.... Just trying to help a brother out! :banana:

TheseGoTo11
04-18-2019, 11:23 AM
Your bike room makes me feel better about the bikes and related clutter I have!

cgolvin
04-18-2019, 11:57 AM
Wei-pal, I want to thank you for providing this invaluable resource.
I will refer to it often -- whenever my wife makes a comment about my (very modest) stable.

retrofit
04-18-2019, 12:27 PM

Needs more Campy. :banana:

oldpotatoe
04-18-2019, 01:14 PM

Potd

jtbadge
04-18-2019, 01:25 PM
Life's too short to ride cracked bikes.

texasbbq
04-18-2019, 01:34 PM

Discuss. ;)[/QUOTE]

Not a damn thing.

old_fat_and_slow
04-18-2019, 01:39 PM
Life's too short to ride cracked bikes.

:D:p

thwart
04-18-2019, 01:44 PM
Wei-pal, I want to thank you for providing this invaluable resource.
I will refer to it often -- whenever my wife makes a comment about my (very modest) stable.

+100.

And such a nice large image, too.

Community service, that's what I'd call it.

biker72
04-18-2019, 01:48 PM

Discuss. ;)

Only problem I see here is you need more space weisan...:D

Tony
04-18-2019, 01:53 PM
Nothing, as long as it doesn't effect others in your living space.

berserk87
04-18-2019, 02:00 PM
The only thing that I found wrong with it when I had 10 road bikes at one time was that I spent more time fiddling with bikes than I did riding them.

It didn't feel wrong to me then, but having all of those bikes did change me. Specifically, I bought an aluminum frame with carbon fork, new, for $185 and raced on it for a season. I had the best season I had ever had to that point. my collection of bikes in my stable included a DeRosa, a Colnago, a Trek 5000 series, a Team Telekom MX Leader, among others.

I realized that there was no magic bike that ruled all others, and that the bike is a tool for me to enjoy being outside and getting exercise. I've always loved riding and one of the best days of my life was when my dad taught me to ride when I was 6. I crashed into a mailbox after my first upright run, but it was still awesome.

I don't know how I drifted away from that by accumulating all of those bikes. The only "wrong" thing for me was that having all of that stuff detracted from the reason I love cycling to begin with. There can be a point at which managing all of your material things can get in the way of living. However, each individual's definition of living is unique, I reckon.

Now I just have one road bike, a TT bike, and a mountain bike. I get immense joy out of riding them. Tinkering with them is not as much fun anymore. I rarely enjoy it.

Clean39T
04-18-2019, 04:30 PM
The only thing that I found wrong with it when I had 10 road bikes at one time was that I spent more time fiddling with bikes than I did riding them.

It didn't feel wrong to me then, but having all of those bikes did change me. Specifically, I bought an aluminum frame with carbon fork, new, for $185 and raced on it for a season. I had the best season I had ever had to that point. my collection of bikes in my stable included a DeRosa, a Colnago, a Trek 5000 series, a Team Telekom MX Leader, among others.

I realized that there was no magic bike that ruled all others, and that the bike is a tool for me to enjoy being outside and getting exercise. I've always loved riding and one of the best days of my life was when my dad taught me to ride when I was 6. I crashed into a mailbox after my first upright run, but it was still awesome.

I don't know how I drifted away from that by accumulating all of those bikes. The only "wrong" thing for me was that having all of that stuff detracted from the reason I love cycling to begin with. There can be a point at which managing all of your material things can get in the way of living. However, each individual's definition of living is unique, I reckon.

Now I just have one road bike, a TT bike, and a mountain bike. I get immense joy out of riding them. Tinkering with them is not as much fun anymore. I rarely enjoy it.Seasons of life come and go, priorities change...

The best we can do is to be aware and keep up with the changes rather than clinging to the past.

Kudos to you for recognizing it was time to simplify and letting that happen.

I'm sure Weisan-pal would do the same if the spirit ever moved.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

berserk87
04-18-2019, 04:34 PM
Seasons of life come and go, priorities change...

The best we can do is to be aware and keep up with the changes rather than clinging to the past.

Kudos to you for recognizing it was time to simplify and letting that happen.

I'm sure Weisan-pal would do the same if the spirit ever moved.

Thanks.

The nice thing about it from either school of thought (simplicity versus collecting) is that either is a pretty harmless pastime. Usually.

OtayBW
04-18-2019, 04:59 PM
Now you know why some people collect fountain pens...

zmalwo
04-19-2019, 04:15 AM
The problem is that you don't have enough bikes and not enough space for more.

dddd
04-19-2019, 02:40 PM
The greatest marketer of all time was the person who advanced the idea that people should "collect" things.

Consider that parents are known to teach their children to collect things...(?)
(must be desperate to keep them out of other trouble).

homagesilkhope
04-19-2019, 03:12 PM
http://alicehui.com/bike/garage/IMG_1236.jpg

Wait, wei-pal, what happened? You had Marie whashername come over?? Place just not the same anymore...

notsew
04-19-2019, 03:20 PM
The greatest marketer of all time was the person who advanced the idea that people should "collect" things.

Consider that parents are known to teach their children to collect things...(?)
(must be desperate to keep them out of other trouble).

Indeed, I've never understood the draw of collecting things just for the sake of collecting things... but I'm also a strong believer that one should pursue whatever brings happiness, so no judgement accompanies that statement.

R3awak3n
04-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Nothing wrong with it if that is your thing.

I thought that I wanted to have a lot of bikes and that the only reason I did not was because of space, now I have a bigger place and thought wife but then every time I have 4 bikes I always think, I need to sell 1 and get to 3.

I also prefer to have 3 really good bikes that 15 ok ones. Of course you could have 15 really good bikes but that is never the case for people that could be considered bike collectors/horders. How many of those bikes are just ok? how many are good? but how many are REALLY good? I would not want to ride anything that is not REALLY good because what is the point?

also collecting bikes and cars is very different than collecting stamps, or lamps or vaccum cleaners (ok, the later might be fine since just like bikes and cars you do get to use it, not just look at it)

jtbadge
04-19-2019, 03:26 PM
I also prefer to have 3 really good bikes that 15 ok ones. Of course you could have 15 really good bikes but that is never the case for people that could be considered bike collectors/horders. How many of those bikes are just ok? how many are good? but how many are REALLY good? I would not want to ride anything that is not REALLY good because what is the point?

So much this.

simplemind
04-19-2019, 03:27 PM
Weisan Pal, do you ever lose a bike...only to find it later under another bike? :bike:

steveoz
04-19-2019, 11:10 PM

Now I just have one road bike, a TT bike, and a mountain bike. I get immense joy out of riding them. Tinkering with them is not as much fun anymore. I rarely enjoy it.

So much relevance in this post...I still own what I thought was "the one to rule all others" - a Moots with carbon wheels and 11spd- it's flawless and perfect and boring.. I too enjoyed tinkering but I can see the end of my tinkering days coming soon....to wit I had a Serotta NHX in the stand for months half built with 600 SHimano 8spd - I finally took it to a friend at the LBS and said "finish this!"...but what have I actually rode in the past few months? - my utilitarian Black Mountain cycles gravel bike...

soulspinner
04-20-2019, 06:23 AM

This and for some reason there is a fan where a bike should go:)

Blown Reek
04-20-2019, 06:58 AM
I also prefer to have 3 really good bikes than 15 ok ones.

No point in having something just for the sake of having something, unless that's the kind of person you are. However, diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes, and some choose bike parts and some people choose cats.

I'd take a clean workspace and organization over the hoarder lifestyle any day.

merlinmurph
04-20-2019, 07:59 AM
Problem? I don't see any problem. I can think of a lot of things much worse than having a few extra bikes lying around.

Honestly, I would have a serious problem trying to decide which bike to ride every day. Since I got a new bike 3 years ago, I've barely touched my Merlin.

AngryScientist
04-20-2019, 08:01 AM
it's actually kind of a running joke in my house and with a few pals.

"hey, it's better than a coke habit"

colker
04-20-2019, 09:35 AM
it's actually kind of a running joke in my house and with a few pals.

"hey, it's better than a coke habit"

BUt coke lines don´t occupy much space or need regular maintenance.

Jeff N.
04-20-2019, 10:09 AM
It's like an eating disorder only FAR more expensive!