PDA

View Full Version : A feature or upgrade that you have to have now?

SeanScott
04-17-2019, 01:45 PM
Is there a feature or product that you never had or tried that you now have to have on your bikes?
I was thinking today on a ride how a never rode larger tires and now love them.
Also, I really like a bar with a flat top for my palms.

2 other thing I like that I never thought I would,
electronic shifting
Road disc (for the tire size)

jtbadge
04-17-2019, 01:47 PM
Round bend bars. I started on compact but got some Ritchey NeoClassics when I was doing a silver build. Now I can't go back - bars like these make shifting from the drops way easier with short fingers. As a plus there is a bigger difference in position from hoods to drops when compared to a compact shape.

johnmdesigner
04-17-2019, 01:50 PM
A car free place to ride or a free ticket to Holland.

donevwil
04-17-2019, 01:55 PM
Columbine Quikchainger

spoonrobot
04-17-2019, 01:57 PM
Tubeless
Some sort of framebag - half/mini/top tube
Fenders - for road and non-racing gravel bikes
Disc brakes
Helmet mounted lights

mhespenheide
04-17-2019, 02:28 PM
I'm pretty darn addicted to 28mm-32mm tires on the road at this point. I'd find it hard to go back, unless I moved to a location that had roads in better repair (but where would that be, after we've ignored infrastructure for a decade or more?).

Being forced to ride with toe clips and cages during Eroica makes me appreciate my normal full-float clipless pedal and shoes.

I also really like the larger bodies of more recent brake/shift levers, like 6800/5800 or later. I've got 7700 on an earlier bike and while it works great and I don't mind the 9-speed, I just like the fit/contact points of the larger bodies.

FlashUNC
04-17-2019, 02:53 PM
eTap.

berserk87
04-17-2019, 02:57 PM

I didn't even realize that I needed these until you posted it.

bikinchris
04-17-2019, 03:45 PM

We get free plane tickets to Europe every few years. Delta Sky Miles rewards card and Marriott rewards cards is how we do it. We only buy things we would buy anyway and pay them off every month. Eventually, we have enough rewards built up to go on a trip.

OtayBW
04-17-2019, 04:00 PM
I used to work for a Dutch company, and so I have been to the Netherlands many times. My impression is that bikes over there are kind of like a swarm of insects flying around your head. Kind of a controlled pandemonium, at best, IMO. It's like riding all at once with a thousand of your best friends who have suspect bicycle handling skills.

bigbill
04-17-2019, 04:12 PM
I've been switching all my road bikes to 46cm bars with 12 degree flare. Mostly Ritchey EvoMax bars in WCS and Comp. It just feels better on my old shoulders and I find the flares actually encourage me to ride in the drops.

It all started with the Salsa Cowbells on my gravel bike.

fkelly
04-17-2019, 04:16 PM
I'm in early stages of transitioning from Garmin 800 (seven years old and works great) to my Samsung phone linked up to RidewithGPS for cycling computer needs. Found a good mount for the Samsung and went through bluetooth pairing hassles with HRM and Stages yesterday: all worked well today. Still have to work though options for conserving battery power on the phone. Two hour ride ate 50% of battery with the screen on the whole time.

The larger phone screen is great compared to Garmin. I transitioned to DI2 on my bike last year. Not going back.

Re. the Netherlands what you are seeing there is bikes for commuting, going grocery shopping, taking kids to school etc. Few helmets. Recreational cycling is something else and I'm sure some folks over there do it; but biking is just part of daily life for most.

unterhausen
04-17-2019, 04:26 PM
A car free place to ride or a free ticket to Holland.Not quite car free, but riding gravel around here can be close.
If it weren't for people driving out into the woods to get spring water, there would be even fewer cars.

Post above reminded me of this upgrade I need to have now. On my last ride, a 400km brevet, my Garmin 800 failed to do turn by turn navigation at all even though it was on. And then at night, the color code for the roads had somehow switched to a very thin line and all the colors were the same. So I mostly had to rely on my cue sheet. Then with about 15 miles to go, the garmin just locked up. I don't think I could use my phone for this because of the length of time that I ride. I was thinking about getting a garmin 1030, but the 800 just works so poorly for me even though it has all the elements in place. It's hard to make the leap of faith needed to give them more money.

weisan
04-17-2019, 04:31 PM
STI shifting
25mm tires minimum for road bikes

Steve in SLO
04-17-2019, 05:01 PM
I have a great bunch of bikes and equipment, so nothing comes to mind except time, youth and fitness.

John H.
04-17-2019, 05:19 PM
You pretty much hit my 2019 list.
28-32mm tires (tubeless)
disc brakes
DI2

Though I would add carbon wheels since they work so well in a disc brake scenario.

Is there a feature or product that you never had or tried that you now have to have on your bikes?
I was thinking today on a ride how a never rode larger tires and now love them.
Also, I really like a bar with a flat top for my palms.

2 other thing I like that I never thought I would,
electronic shifting
Road disc (for the tire size)

madsciencenow
04-17-2019, 07:42 PM
I’m kinda addicted to riding with a PM and I really like the Garmin radar light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnmdesigner
04-17-2019, 07:49 PM
We get free plane tickets to Europe every few years. Delta Sky Miles rewards card and Marriott rewards cards is how we do it. We only buy things we would buy anyway and pay them off every month. Eventually, we have enough rewards built up to go on a trip.

Oh dear god, what does this mean?

bikinchris
04-17-2019, 11:12 PM
Oh dear god, what does this mean?

????

Dasarbule
04-18-2019, 01:43 AM
I'd like to upgrade my days to 28hrs.

pcxmbfj
04-18-2019, 04:23 AM
Dropper post.

soulspinner
04-18-2019, 05:44 AM
better computer

madsciencenow
04-18-2019, 06:30 AM
Not quite car free, but riding gravel around here can be close.
If it weren't for people driving out into the woods to get spring water, there would be even fewer cars.

Post above reminded me of this upgrade I need to have now. On my last ride, a 400km brevet, my Garmin 800 failed to do turn by turn navigation at all even though it was on. And then at night, the color code for the roads had somehow switched to a very thin line and all the colors were the same. So I mostly had to rely on my cue sheet. Then with about 15 miles to go, the garmin just locked up. I don't think I could use my phone for this because of the length of time that I ride. I was thinking about getting a garmin 1030, but the 800 just works so poorly for me even though it has all the elements in place. It's hard to make the leap of faith needed to give them more money.

I used to own the edge 1000 and had issues with it freezing or being glitchy on occasion. When it died in the rain after five years of use I went over to wahoo for a bit and really missed the turn-by-turn and other features of the garmin. I ended up going back to the 1030 and I must say, it's much improved. The battery life is much better than the old garmins, no issue with it freezing up and the turn-by-turn works remarkably well. In addition, what I really like is that it lets me program a destination while I'm riding. Most of the time this looks like me riding out for a couple of hours and then asking for a route home. If I come to a road I don't want to ride it re-routes with no issues. The touch screen also works much better than the edge 1000.

El Chaba
04-18-2019, 07:01 AM
I'm having a hard time thinking of anything in the past 15-20 years....

zmalwo
04-18-2019, 07:02 AM
I think the biggest upgrade for me is Di2. Used to think meh what's the difference but now I'm used to it and don't want to go back to mechanical. I do everything myself so cost of bike shop is not a problem either. it's just the crispiness of the shifts that prevents me from going back to mechanical. Also di2 FD shifting is incomparable from all other options.

oldpotatoe
04-18-2019, 07:05 AM
Feature?..time, health..If I didn't ride a bike, I'd do something else..:)
I'm not surgically joined to a 'bike'..
I have a EPS bike, a friction shifting bike..both work..object of the ride is the ride, not the tool/toy..

commonguy001
04-18-2019, 07:13 AM
Dropper post.

On My MTB I am 100% in agreement

DRZRM
04-18-2019, 07:58 AM
Yeah, dropper post on MTB was a game changer. Also, wide (46) Ritchey Velomax bars have me in the drops more. Will use them for gravel and will change from a Salsa Woodchipper on my dirt drop MTB,I may try them on my road bike too. I just wish the tops were a bit thicker, maybe need to double the wrap on top.

Bob Ross
04-18-2019, 08:05 AM
Columbine Quikchainger

It just amazes me that more manufacturers don't offer this.

(I don't actually own one, so it doesn't count as my contribution to this Must Have thread, but if I could get them on all my bikes I would.)

madsciencenow
04-18-2019, 08:25 AM
Feature?..time, health..If I didn't ride a bike, I'd do something else..:)
I'm not surgically joined to a 'bike'..
I have a EPS bike, a friction shifting bike..both work..object of the ride is the ride, not the tool/toy..

I agree the object is the ride but the tool does matter, right? I mean if your bike was equipped with etap... ... this would matter;)?

Matthew
04-18-2019, 08:36 AM
Better weather. This spring sucks. Oh, and take me back to the 70's and 80s for music. So much better then.

oldpotatoe
04-18-2019, 08:37 AM
I agree the object is the ride but the tool does matter, right? I mean if your bike was equipped with etap... ... this would matter;)?

Pretty funny..what do you 'have to have now' to ride? A bike..:)
I enjoy trundling around on my oldest son's single speed Salsa as much as my Merckx or Moots..add etap?..
:)

MagicHour
04-18-2019, 08:58 AM
Power Meter - Zwift has ruined me
Lately, its some type of mirror, I really like being able to keep an eye on what's going on behind me. Just put Cateye BM-45 bar end mirrors on both my bikes - I think I prefer this type to the Take-a-Look sunglass mirror. Set it and forget it, and it's always on the bike, and just works. Whereas the T.A.L. I wouldn't always grab it b/c of vanity issues, doesn't fit well on all glasses, hard to position, doesn't work well riding in the drops etc.

Mark McM
04-18-2019, 09:53 AM
Better weather. This spring sucks. Oh, and take me back to the 70's and 80s for music. So much better then.

Disco? Hair bands? No, thank you!

A went to high school in the late '70s/early '80s. At a high school reunion I attended, when the DJ was setting up his equipment, many people were heard to say, "I hope he doesn't play the music that was popular when we were in high school - I hated that stuff!"

donevwil
04-18-2019, 11:30 AM
It just amazes me that more manufacturers don't offer this.

(I don't actually own one, so it doesn't count as my contribution to this Must Have thread, but if I could get them on all my bikes I would.)

Do it yourself.......

http://www.columbinecycle.com/images/products/quickchainger-box.jpg

SeanScott
04-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Hahaha - Never touch your chain again!

mktng
04-18-2019, 11:39 AM

Two springs ago. It was just grey skies and rain for what seemed like a few months.

Honestly...gave me an excuse to build up a nice (but not too fancy) full friender road bike. Something i can borderline neglect.

Now I can enjoy riding in less enjoyable weather.

Time to go bike shopping!

thermalattorney
04-18-2019, 12:02 PM
As others have mentioned, tubeless tires, full fenders, and dropper posts (for the MTB) are all features I wouldn't want to be without. There are two more that stick out for me:

Porteur Racks
I LOOOOOVE front racks for the convenience factor. No bag? No problem! Just strap it on there.

Climbing shifters
After having them on various Di2 bikes for 5+ years, I went a few months without them after switching to eTap in January while I waited for a good deal on a pair of Blips. Was surprised at how much I missed the convenience. For long days in the saddle it's such a luxury but I wouldn't have it any other way.

bigbill
04-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Pretty funny..what do you 'have to have now' to ride? A bike..:)
I enjoy trundling around on my oldest son's single speed Salsa as much as my Merckx or Moots..add etap?..
:)

I've even added 46cm Nitto's to my MXL. It's just more betterer.

dddd
04-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Wider gear ratios, something like a 12-34t 9-speed, allows me to change gear ratio faster in steep/rolling terrain with fewer shifts, and without inducing a severe chainline angle that would result from additional required shifts.
That it also expands the gear range is another plus.

Tubeless 33mm tires on the Mavic Allroad wheelset, allows me to use any old touring or cyclocross bike without any need for a newer disc-braked bike. These tires seem to roll as easily as any, as I have been able to coast alongside other riders on the downhill stretches. The huge tubeless tires weigh only 330g each and the i22mm wheelset is just 1600g.

joosttx
04-18-2019, 01:38 PM
Kogel bottom brackets

Matthew
04-18-2019, 03:09 PM
Disco? No thanks!! But hair bands and classic rock? Hell yes!!! And what I like to call yacht rock. Little River Band, Ambrosia, The Eagles, Hall and Oates, etc. You know, when they actually wrote music and played instruments!!

benb
04-18-2019, 03:20 PM
I don't really think there's anything.

I would be fine going back to my first serious road bike from 19 years ago. It was 9-speed, I'm only riding 10-speed right now.

That bike wasn't as stiff (aluminum) as modern bikes but it had a quill stem and so you could always adjust the bars easy and it was nice and comfy.

Probably the closest thing is having a Garmin. I could definitely lose the power meter. I had a HRM right from the beginning.

My Garmin screws up occasionally but on the balance it is a huge help.

I wouldn't mind having cell phones vanish... and responsibilities. Rides were pretty awesome back when I didn't have a phone and no one was sending me messages as to where I was.

I don't think I realized in my 20s how great it was to just take off and ride 50-100 miles on a Saturday with a map in my back pocket and no itinerary and only the roughest of routes planned, and no one really knew where I was or bugged me.

I am not sure I've had any bikes that couldn't take a 25. I haven't rode a 23 since about late 2013. I got my All City Space Horse in late 2018, the smallest tires I've ever run on it are 28s. I have 32s on it right now, but it's had 38s most. I got my Trek Domane in 2016 and that bike has always had 26s. But I would be totally fine with a 25, and I think every road bike I owned had clearance for a 25.

I think I would be fine on 23s too, maybe I need to try some again on the Domane.

d_douglas
04-18-2019, 03:35 PM
I have a great bunch of bikes and equipment, so nothing comes to mind except time, youth and fitness.

Amen. Ive had a winter of lots of work, buying my first house, renovating my first house, moving into my first house and two young kids.

What I really want is time to get out and ride... I am working that detail out with my sweet lady now!

As far as technology goes, Dynamo lights are something that I think are just excellent. You never think about whether your lights are charged - they just ARE...

Gummee
04-18-2019, 05:35 PM
I don't really think there's anything.

I would be fine going back to my first serious road bike from 19 years ago. It was 9-speed, I'm only riding 10-speed right now.

That bike wasn't as stiff (aluminum) as modern bikes but it had a quill stem and so you could always adjust the bars easy and it was nice and comfy.

Probably the closest thing is having a Garmin. I could definitely lose the power meter. I had a HRM right from the beginning.

My Garmin screws up occasionally but on the balance it is a huge help.

I wouldn't mind having cell phones vanish... and responsibilities. Rides were pretty awesome back when I didn't have a phone and no one was sending me messages as to where I was.

I don't think I realized in my 20s how great it was to just take off and ride 50-100 miles on a Saturday with a map in my back pocket and no itinerary and only the roughest of routes planned, and no one really knew where I was or bugged me.

I am not sure I've had any bikes that couldn't take a 25. I haven't rode a 23 since about late 2013. I got my All City Space Horse in late 2018, the smallest tires I've ever run on it are 28s. I have 32s on it right now, but it's had 38s most. I got my Trek Domane in 2016 and that bike has always had 26s. But I would be totally fine with a 25, and I think every road bike I owned had clearance for a 25.

I think I would be fine on 23s too, maybe I need to try some again on the Domane.

Ya know... you CAN leave the phone at home.

...which is what I've been doing since 1997

M

choke
04-18-2019, 05:45 PM
Downtube shifter bosses.

As I've ridden my vintage bikes more often I've come to like using DT shifters more and more and I won't buy a frame that doesn't give me the opportunity to run them. I may not use them on every bike but I want the option.

Seramount
04-18-2019, 06:36 PM
'have to have'...?

can't think of a single thing.

jtakeda
04-18-2019, 06:39 PM
A water bottle that won’t get stolen

vincenz
04-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Round bend bars. I started on compact but got some Ritchey NeoClassics when I was doing a silver build. Now I can't go back - bars like these make shifting from the drops way easier with short fingers. As a plus there is a bigger difference in position from hoods to drops when compared to a compact shape.

Same here, I want to put the Ritchey neoclassic bar shape on all my bikes now. Handling feels so secure while in the drops and the hoods, while lower, feel way more comfortable as it matches the natural position of your wrist. Kind of rethinking the compact shape now with my other bikes.

Mzilliox
04-19-2019, 10:12 AM
RIM BRAKES:bike:

zmalwo
04-19-2019, 10:22 AM
A water bottle that won’t get stolen

Where the h do you live that people steal your used bottle left and right? Or is it used to be a thing back in the days?

benb
04-19-2019, 11:00 AM
Ya know... you CAN leave the phone at home.

...which is what I've been doing since 1997

M

Yah the problem with that is having a family.

Murphy's law dictates if I go for a ride without the phone a family emergency WILL happen.

So that's another nice thing about the Garmin, it flashes up who is calling or shows the text message, which means I usually don't have to pull over.

madsciencenow
04-19-2019, 11:10 AM
Where the h do you live that people steal your used bottle left and right? Or is it used to be a thing back in the days?

I was wondering the same thing?