PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else still finding eBay a great place for a bargain buyer to shop?

Frank
12-02-2006, 12:19 PM
While I have restrained (a relative term) myself from buying as many frames as I once was, I still find what I think are some very nice steel frames at really good prices.

The 50th Anniversary Schwinn Paramount Columbus SLX frame and fork that I built up and ride, new old stock Gunnar frameset of True Temper OX Platinum tubing, built up but never ridden Giordana (Peg designed initially?) of French Excell XL-ECO tubing, and latest purchase last week was a new old stock Basso Viper f/f with Basso Concept Ultra Light tubing.

Anyone else want to chime in with their bargain find(s)?

jwb96
12-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm shopping for different - and apparently the wrong - things, but I saved a couple of hundred off retail on my new cross frame, got a new Thomson seatpost for under $30 shipped, new WCS stem for, well that wasn't as good a bargain, but still . . . eBay is still fun for me when I have patience and time.

I don't have a frame collection problem at this time, but when I do, it sounds like I know where to go and who to consult. :D

Jim

rePhil
12-02-2006, 12:54 PM
I was more of a seller than buyer. Sold my Nikon's and studio gear, bunch of boating stuff, and plenty of bike stuff too. Thanks to e bay I reached buyers who wanted my stuff. If I would have sold locally or through word of mouth I would have made pennies on the dollar, if I could even find a buyer.

As a buyer I have gotten fair deals on jerseys, but thats about it.For most items I shop elsewhere.
I think e bay is changing, evolving into I don't know what. Deals are still there but I am much more careful. I am not into trying a bunch of different frames, wheelsets, etc.There is nothing wrong with it, it's just not what I am into. It does seem to work great for Frank. (who has also sold some frames at great prices)

Elefantino
12-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Me, still, yes.

Just picked up a NOS Colnago frame for three bills. Recently bought a Bianchi and the former owner, who immediately converted to Chorus, threw in all the Centaur stuff for free. Rode Bianchi, didn't like Bianchi, sold Bianchi (same price), kept components.

You have to pick and choose. The boss wishes I didn't choose so much!

TimD
12-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Cannondale CAAD3, Time carbon fork, D-A headset, D-A BB, currently built up as my winter single-speed... wait for it... $75! :banana:

Louis
12-02-2006, 01:36 PM
BTW, these are not for sale

Frank, that's a good one. It's just a matter of time...

Frank
12-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Frank, that's a good one. It's just a matter of time...

because I have to sell old to buy new. Anyway, winter is the time to buy, spring the time to sell ;)

saab2000
12-02-2006, 04:14 PM
I would probably not be a Serotta owner if not for the very good deal I found on eBay. I also own a solid Merckx Ti which I found there.

Both were gotten for about 1/3 of the new price.

I browse a standard list of things almost every day.

Just got a used, but still useful, set of Time Impact Mag pedals for $2.50 + $5.00 shipping. Not too shabby.

palincss
12-02-2006, 04:19 PM
I recently outfitted a Kogswell P/R as my new commuter. Among the eBay bargains that went on that frame were: a slightly used pair of Shimano PD-M959 pedals for $65, a set of new old stock Mafac Raid centerpull brakes for $35, a new old stock TA handlebar support rack (the kind that fits onto a Mafac front brake) for $35, and a new Shimano 105 triple front derailleur (9-speed model) for $13. I also had in my parts bin from previous eBay expeditions: a used Nitto 176 handlebar that came with a Nitto stem - combination was around $35, if I recall correctly, and a Shimano 600 crankset and bottom bracket that also was around $35.

When I built up my Rivendell Saluki I got a pair of Shimano PD-M959 pedals that had so little use they appeared brand new. Those too were around $65. And when I went looking for salmon Kool Stop replacement pads for the 56mm Shimano dual pivot brakes on my Rambouillet, my LBS wanted $12 for enough to do one brake; I found an eBay store that had enough to do one bike for $12.

So yes, bargains indeed can be found on eBay.

ChrisK
12-03-2006, 11:18 AM
The hard part of E-Baying, for me, is discipline. The bargains always come if you're just patient. On the other hand it's so easy to buy a lot of stuff I really don't need just because the price is right.

BumbleBeeDave
12-03-2006, 11:34 AM
. . . is the bargains combined with being able to find them on out-of-the-way type stuff that I either could not afford when new or that you would just never find anywhere else. If you have an old bike you are trying to rehab or are just into far retro stuff (which I'm generally not) it must be a Godsend.

That being said, I agree that the more something costs the more careful you have to be. That bargain turns out to be a PITA if you get scammed . . .

BBD