PDA

View Full Version : mechanical or electronic group in the rain

madsciencenow
04-16-2019, 12:27 PM
I'm curious what others have experienced when it comes to riding in the rain with regard to groupo durability and long term performance?

Do you prefer mechanical or electronic and within each category which manufacturer/product line (e.g. dura ace v. ulegra, etc.) tolerates moisture best?

AngryScientist
04-16-2019, 12:53 PM
I'm curious what others have experienced when it comes to riding in the rain with regard to groupo durability and long term performance?

my rain bike has mechanical friction shifting. long term performance - no problems :hello:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0ueYnfqfHaM/XHU_7jxafQI/AAAAAAAADJE/9avmaGhKWlMfz9veQ7FajTxazjb1r5wBQCLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_3451.JPG

tv_vt
04-16-2019, 12:56 PM
I have one Di2 bike. Doesn't get ridden in the rain (by choice anyway) or in the winter. Doesn't have fenders either...

Alaska Mike
04-16-2019, 01:12 PM
I'm just dipping my toes in the world of electronic shifting, so I'm not probably the best expert. However, this being the internet, let me tell you my opinion.

I think a properly maintained mechanical system is the way to go for a bike that will see much rain. Electronic systems are inherently more complex, with fewer ways that the end user can detect and prevent problems on the road. Batteries, electrical components, and connections can fail pretty much without warning when there's water involved. The manufacturers have done a pretty good job of sealing things up and making them robust, but they are not simple devices and many of the components are down low in the spray.

Cables? They give you an indication of their condition and you can often feel it as they degrade.

Mechanical derailleurs are cheaper to replace, and there are several grades from the different manufacturers. Same with shifters for the most part. Chances are, your LBS has all of the parts in stock to rebuild whatever goes wrong with your mechanical drivetrain. Electronic? Maybe, but again we're talking top-tier components here, which is a lot of money to have tied up on the shelf.

My travel Moots is getting eTap, because of configuration options and packing simplicity (It's also my first true 11 speed drivetrain). If it wasn't for the elimination of derailleur cables, I probably wouldn't have gone with electronic, and I doubt my "regular" bikes will change over in the next decade if I can still get chains (I have a lot of mechanical ten speed parts). The travel Moots will see a lot of use, so it's not like the eTap will be sitting in a case all of the time.

I like things simple, but in this specific case complex was actually more simple.

simonov
04-16-2019, 01:33 PM
I ride all my bikes in the rain, but prefer cleaning the eTap bikes. Fewer cables make it easier to get into the nooks and crannies with a rag. Functionally, they all work fine when wet.

BdaGhisallo
04-16-2019, 02:07 PM
I have been running DI2 on my bikes since July 2009. I have never had a weather related issue.

vqdriver
04-16-2019, 02:12 PM
Water??
If I had any doubts I probably wouldn't go electric.

But I have no doubts

R3awak3n
04-16-2019, 02:19 PM
I don't think it matters, both work fine in the rain. I never had a single problem with my etap, or my mech, in any condition.

kppolich
04-16-2019, 02:33 PM
Looks like a problem for a single speed.

Dude
04-16-2019, 02:33 PM
Regarding water compromising electronics on a bike...bikes aren't exposed to the high water pressure. Blinky/flashing lights on your bikes are fine and those have a simple gasket.

Something more complex would be the bearings in your wheels and bottom brackets. Those that are sealed are fine in the rain for many thousands of miles.

Water/weather shouldn't be an issue on electronic systems. That level of technology has existed in "our" industry for many years.

David Kirk
04-16-2019, 02:42 PM
Too much wet time on my eTap bike and it's never missed a shift. Not once.

dave

prototoast
04-16-2019, 02:58 PM
I live in California, so my rain bike is just my least-favorite bike, because it rarely gets used.

If I lived in a place where it rained a lot, and I was building up a bike specifically for that purpose, I would go with electronic and not think twice about it. Road grime is tough on shift cables. Even if you diligently keep your bike clean, performance can still degrade over the course of a ride. Better to just eliminate the problem entirely and go with electronic shifting.

madsciencenow
04-16-2019, 03:10 PM
...so the feedback on electronic is largely consistent with my experience.

I had a 10spd di2 ultegra set-up that I rode the hell out of in all weather and never had a problem with it.

Like Mr. Kirk I've used my etap in the rain (road bike) and mud (gravel bike) and had no issues. However, I find that mechanical tends to get fouled up pretty easy from the grit and crap that finds its way into/onto cables and housing. The mechanical still works but its not as crisp until I replace the cables after a couple rides in the rain.

thanks for the feedback!

PaMtbRider
04-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Isn't the majority of the pro cyclocross field running electronic drive trains? Not dealing with mucked up cables seems to be one of the advantages of electric groups.

muz
04-16-2019, 03:18 PM
I live in California, so my rain bike is just my least-favorite bike, because it rarely gets used.

Well, we must live in different places :banana:

This year I had more rainy rides than the last 3 years combined. One 300k with the first 5 hours in full rain, temps rising from 34 to 39, showers afterwards. Another 200k with non-stop rain, fast descents where the raindrops really hurt your face. My front and tail lights died after this one. Then many other brevets with 50% of the time raining or wet roads. I have also done a 1200k where it rained for the first 20 hours.

So, for randonneuring use I would not choose a bike with an electronic group if there is significant chance of rain. When stuff inside a "waterproof" bag gets wet, you know the electronics are not staying dry. If you don't ride in these conditions, an occasional sprinkle will not be an issue.

benb
04-16-2019, 03:22 PM
Keeping it mechanical to keep it cheap is what makes sense for me.

Around here rain usually means dirt getting into everything, or dirt and salt getting into everything.

You're going to kill all the other stuff faster in bad weather even if cables or electronics don't die right away. So I'd rather use cheaper stuff instead of more expensive stuff. 105 or Tiagra mechanical is a lot less expensive than Di2/Ui2/eTap. Expensive groups don't really make you much faster, and in my case the rain bike is heavy and has fenders. Both of those make you slower. And you gotta go slower for safety often in the rain anyway.

For the price difference between 105 and Ui2 I can probably do all the maintenance for for the lifetime of the frame (doing it myself) and never catch up to the initial cost of the Ui2.

smontanaro
04-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Mechanical. :banana:
https://live.staticflickr.com/5533/30846056202_a95f4c692f_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NZL6Rd)

oldpotatoe
04-17-2019, 09:46 AM
Isn't the majority of the pro cyclocross field running electronic drive trains? Not dealing with mucked up cables seems to be one of the advantages of electric groups.

YUP, and after they get a bike change, the 'dirty' one is powerblasted..

Wish I could find that pic of a pit guy dunking a 'cross bike in a lake..