PDA

View Full Version : Things you see while driving....

Irishgirl
04-16-2019, 10:24 AM
Disclaimer....This is not my pic and did not see this out in the “wild”...however when I saw the pic it caused me to pause and think about some of my personal odd moments and others I’ve seen while driving.

One in particular is I forgot to remove my cycling helmet and was driving around with the top down on my convertible- only realized the helmet was on when the driver next to me started https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190416/60906739bab29c6899dba461cc6ef02e.jpgsnapping photos.

Lots of thoughts on this pic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Jays
04-16-2019, 10:29 AM
If a planned ride is distant...I keep my helmet on while driving.
All it is at that point is an additional margin of safety. Why not?
Better than sitting on the passenger seat or stored in the trunk.

dustyrider
04-16-2019, 11:02 AM
I was at the grocery store last week and noticed a man walking around with a motorcycle helmet on. Figured he was there for something quick.

While I was checking out, he was still in his helmet checking out too, and I thought that's a lot of groceries to carry on a bike.

As we walked out to the parking lot, I kept him in my vision and noticed him load the groceries into a silver Toyota Camry, get in the driver's seat, and drive away. All the while he was wearing a full face motorcycle helmet with a dark tint face-screen....

Also carrying random stuff on a motorcycle seems perfectly normal to me. I can totally see myself carrying a ladder back when I only rode motorcycles.

Jaybee
04-16-2019, 11:14 AM
Not that crashing a motorcycle would ever be pleasant, but this particular crash would be really really unpleasant.

old_fat_and_slow
04-16-2019, 11:26 AM
I've done something similar in the past. I needed to get a new tire mounted at the local dealer, so I slung the new tire (that I obtained from the internet) over the neck and shoulders and rode my MC to the dealer (but I did have a helmet on) to get it mounted.

Cut me some slack, mounting MC tires is a bit tougher than bike clinchers. I've since bought the tools to try to do it at home. Yeah, riding with a tire slung around your neck was a bit challenging.

bluesea
04-16-2019, 11:56 AM
F22 Raptor doing a full vertical takeoff, while leaving Costco parking lot.

paredown
04-16-2019, 11:56 AM
How many of you slung a bike frame over your shoulder while riding to deliver it somewhere--or dragged another complete bike home by holding on the the second bike's stem to tow it along side?:banana:

(Me: guilty on both charges)

And I don't even want to start in on the bad loads I hauled on pickups when I was young and stupid...

tv_vt
04-16-2019, 01:01 PM
Not that crashing a motorcycle would ever be pleasant, but this particular crash would be really really unpleasant.

OMG, didn't think of that.

David Tollefson
04-16-2019, 02:03 PM
Just think of a cross wind...

William
04-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Seen more than once and always cringe...people driving with plywood on top of their vehicle that isn't tied down. The windows are open and they are holding on to it with their hands. Not real dangerous to them, but it is to everyone else they pass.:butt:

Kinda like...

W.

unterhausen
04-16-2019, 03:01 PM
F22 Raptor doing a full vertical takeoff, while leaving Costco parking lot.
I was part of a team observing a test at an aircraft manufacturers plant. As I was walking to my car, I saw a Harrier hovering 10-15 feet off the ground just on the other side of a fence. It was a surreal moment, it took me a minute to realize that it wasn't just sitting on the ground.

Typically, after major maintenance, the test pilot will take off and do a max rate climb to get altitude in case something breaks. This gives them a better chance to land it. I used to work at a facility that did depot maintenance on f-16s, and you would see that occasionally.

William
04-16-2019, 03:10 PM
Oooofff....

William
04-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Oooofff!!!

Tony
04-16-2019, 03:15 PM
Does anyone know why I'm not able to see Irishgirl's posted picture? This happens often, not sure what I need to do to correct this?

cp43
04-16-2019, 03:47 PM
Does anyone know why I'm not able to see Irishgirl's posted picture? This happens often, not sure what I need to do to correct this?

It looks like she linked it from tapatalk-cdn.com. Perhaps you have a firewall, or other filter, that blocks that site?

Chris

Irishgirl
04-16-2019, 04:30 PM
It looks like she linked it from tapatalk-cdn.com. Perhaps you have a firewall, or other filter, that blocks that site?

Chris

Yes I do use Taptalk...if there is a better way to post pics happy to modify my process. [emoji16]

OtayBW
04-16-2019, 04:55 PM
While driving, I recently saw a cyclist - forgive me, a BICYCLE RIDER - blowing a snot rocket. Disgusting....:cool: :banana:

Irishgirl
04-16-2019, 04:57 PM
While driving, I recently saw a cyclist - forgive me: a BICYCLE RIDER - blowing a snot rocket. Disgusting....:cool: :banana:

Ha!!! I’m racing home to jump on my bike and maybe give another practice run!

OtayBW
04-16-2019, 04:58 PM
Ha!!! I’m racing home to jump on my bike and maybe give another practice run!

You'll need this:
http://hint.fm/wind/

seanile
04-16-2019, 05:08 PM
i rode 4 miles home thru Boston from Home Depot with a 20lb propane tank in my messenger bag, it barely fit. i thought it was a reasonable idea at the time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oooofff....

in flip flops tho..

How many of you slung a bike frame over your shoulder while riding to deliver it somewhere--or dragged another complete bike home by holding on the the second bike's stem to tow it along side?:banana:

(Me: guilty on both charges)

And I don't even want to start in on the bad loads I hauled on pickups when I was young and stupid...

many, many times. a pic from 2011 (dear god that was long ago)
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/185455_10150338653274994_1388288_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=71083e11326dc68d5b4e36746c2b0ea5&oe=5D7555E6

retrofit
04-16-2019, 05:17 PM
Chaos is a ladder...

Disclaimer....This is not my pic and did not see this out in the “wild”...however when I saw the pic it caused me to pause and think about some of my personal odd moments and others I’ve seen while driving.

One in particular is I forgot to remove my cycling helmet and was driving around with the top down on my convertible- only realized the helmet was on when the driver next to me started https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190416/60906739bab29c6899dba461cc6ef02e.jpgsnapping photos.

jtbadge
04-16-2019, 05:18 PM
Can even cyclists not resist the urge to play on their phones while driving? Good lord.

2LeftCleats
04-16-2019, 05:35 PM
William, where the hell do you live that people move fine furniture like that?

cp43
04-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Yes I do use Taptalk...if there is a better way to post pics happy to modify my process. [emoji16]

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I see the photo, and it seems most others do too. I suspect it's to do with the settings that Tony has for viewing.

Tony
04-16-2019, 06:25 PM
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I see the photo, and it seems most others do too. I suspect it's to do with the settings that Tony has for viewing.

Yes, it's a setting I think as I can now see the picture on my phone. Several months ago I installed Net Nanny on my computer as my granddaughters use it often so this my be the problem.

Irishgirl
04-16-2019, 06:47 PM
Can even cyclists not resist the urge to play on their phones while driving? Good lord.

Hi JTBadge - this is an assumption I was driving.

Peter P.
04-16-2019, 08:30 PM
Not something I saw, but something I did.

While in the Air Force as a security policeman, I had to qualify regularly with my M-16.

We usually met at the cop shop and carpooled to the firing range in a squad car.

I usually rode my bike to work. I arrived at Bldg. 208 only to find they left without me.

I merely took my weapon from the armorer, slung it over my shoulder and rode my bike across the base to the firing range. Combat boots don't fit in toe clips well.

bikinchris
04-17-2019, 03:24 PM
I often see people driving around with a passenger having their feet on the dashboard. If they get in a crash, that airbag will turn their lower leg bones into powder, probably requiring amputation.
Stop doing that.

Ozz
04-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Disclaimer....This is not my pic and did not see this out in the “wild”...however when I saw the pic it caused me to pause and think about some of my personal odd moments and others I’ve seen while driving. ...

crazy....I can't believe he is not wearing a helmet!

;)

Jaybee
04-17-2019, 06:58 PM
I often see people driving around with a passenger having their feet on the dashboard. If they get in a crash, that airbag will turn their lower leg bones into powder, probably requiring amputation.
Stop doing that.

Can you please tell my wife? She won't listen to the same message from me.

William
04-17-2019, 07:16 PM
William, where the hell do you live that people move fine furniture like that?

Everyday in Rhode Island my friend, ev-er-ry day.

William

schwa86
04-17-2019, 07:37 PM
Not my video, but still...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B7-6nXGflec

seanile
04-17-2019, 07:54 PM

stop the car until she stops doing it? every time she does it, pull over. that type of risk is not worth taking..

mt2u77
04-17-2019, 10:59 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190416/60906739bab29c6899dba461cc6ef02e.jpg

Was there another motorcycle carrying an extension ladder going the other direction? Maybe some form of a modern jousting match?

bikinchris
04-17-2019, 11:09 PM

An airbag goes off with the force of a 12 gauge shotgun. It will likely break the drivers nose and the passenger airbag is much larger and has to use more force to inflate the larger bag in time.

Tabl10s
04-18-2019, 12:26 AM

On the way to the hospital, I see a guy sitting in the middle of the road asking if I could call the cops. I look to the right and see a pickup turning slowly on its roof like a bagel in a microwave.

seanile
04-18-2019, 07:20 AM
like a bagel in a microwave.
I have so many questions.

William
04-18-2019, 07:53 AM

I'm hungry.:)

W.

redir
04-18-2019, 09:44 AM
There's a good Three Stooges skit in there with the guy carrying the ladder.

cetuximab
04-18-2019, 10:18 PM
Stop doing that.

The major problem is soft tissue injury. This young patient’s few fractures had healed but she had chronic leg pain and venous insufficiency.

The few times a passenger in my car has put their feet up on the dash. I tell them the story. And politely request their feet off the dash.

Tabl10s
05-21-2019, 01:06 AM

I'm sure you do.