PDA

View Full Version : Trek Segafredo no likey WavCell

mcteague
04-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Seems some of the team are not riding the new Bontrager helmets at Paris Roubaix.

https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/04/STUYVEN-Jasper708p.jpg

Tim

benb
04-15-2019, 02:10 PM
They'd probably go helmetless if they were allowed to.

charliedid
04-15-2019, 02:14 PM
Pro

Big Dan
04-15-2019, 02:16 PM
Old Pic.

bpm
04-15-2019, 02:18 PM
That pic is from 2018.

MattTuck
04-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Old Pic.

Good eye. I was almost the victim of fake news.

mtechnica
04-15-2019, 02:43 PM
We are on thread #3 with no likey in the title :confused:

mcteague
04-15-2019, 02:57 PM
Hmm, site showed 2019 date. Watching the video there were several riders wearing the non WaveCell lids though.

Tim

nooneline
04-15-2019, 03:05 PM
We are on thread #3 with no likey in the title :confused:

how do you feel about it?

you likey?

or....

ltwtsculler91
04-15-2019, 03:29 PM
I have both the Specter WaveCell and a Velocis, and while both are solid helmets I do like the Velocis better.

I don't blame the pros for wearing the velocis if they have the choice. Especially since it is a way better looking helmet than the new XXX wavecell

asindc
04-15-2019, 03:38 PM
I can't imagine that teams would compel cyclists to wear certain helmets. From a liability standpoint, that has to be a personal choice.

azrider
04-15-2019, 03:41 PM
Posts multiple times challenging helmet in original WaveCell thread

Posts picture from 2018 race saying "No riders likey!!!"

Posts comment "well......NOT ALL riders were wearing it"

Has yet to post actual picture from 2019 showing riders NOT wearing it.

Sigh..........:rolleyes:

Mark McM
04-15-2019, 03:47 PM
I can't imagine that teams would compel cyclists to wear certain helmets. From a liability standpoint, that has to be a personal choice.

Huh? All the helmets have to pass the same certification testing standards. What liability is created if a team requires all their riders to wear a certain model of helmet? Different riders may have different preferences (such as for saddles or shoes, or even helmets), but sometimes a team will over rule rider preference and require certain equipment to be used. Other equipment have their own safety standards (frames, forks, wheels, etc.), why are helmets any different?

OtayBW
04-15-2019, 03:50 PM
Haha. I see that a pretty fair number of riders likey the POC. Vanity is not everything. HAR!

asindc
04-15-2019, 04:01 PM
Huh? All the helmets have to pass the same certification testing standards. What liability is created if a team requires all their riders to wear a certain model of helmet? Different riders may have different preferences (such as for saddles or shoes, or even helmets), but sometimes a team will over rule rider preference and require certain equipment to be used. Other equipment have their own safety standards (frames, forks, wheels, etc.), why are helmets any different?

If a rider suffers serious injury or death that is directly related to the helmet failing, it could be a problem if the rider was not allowed to wear his/her helmet of choice. Though now that I think about it, I suspect that teams have riders sign waivers regarding mandatory bicycles and gear.

Mark McM
04-15-2019, 04:27 PM
If a rider suffers serious injury or death that is directly related to the helmet failing, it could be a problem if the rider was not allowed to wear his/her helmet of choice. Though now that I think about it, I suspect that teams have riders sign waivers regarding mandatory bicycles and gear.

Since all helmets pass the same certification standards, why would a rider think that a helmet might fail?

Are you aware of any helmet manufacturer that has been successfully sued after an accident, when the helmet in question had passed all pertinent certifications and did not have a manufacturing defect? This would seem to be an issue of wider concern than just professional bike racing. (Especially since bike racers already have already assumed a higher degree of risk.)

asindc
04-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Since all helmets pass the same certification standards, why would a rider think that a helmet might fail?

Are you aware of any helmet manufacturer that has been successfully sued after an accident, when the helmet in question had passed all pertinent certifications and did not have a manufacturing defect? This would seem to be an issue of wider concern than just professional bike racing. (Especially since bike racers already have already assumed a higher degree of risk.)

For the same reason anyone would choose one helmet over another if they felt safer in the first helmet. Just like all cars must pass the same safety standards yet some car buyers choose certain cars over others because they feel safer in the chosen car.

Jaybee
04-15-2019, 05:08 PM
This hypothetical lawsuit wherein a team says "wear certified helmet A" and the rider says "but I prefer certified helmet B" is going nowhere.

saab2000
04-15-2019, 05:15 PM
Bike racing is inherently dangerous. It’s hard to see any litigation moving forward in cycling at a professional level when there is no empirical data to show one helmet is safer than another.

Nobody makes anyone be a pro cyclist. Kind of hard to see anyone suing. Europe is way less litigious than the US anyway.

Mark McM
04-15-2019, 05:21 PM
There is currently a lot of action going on regarding head injuries in NFL football, how much the teams are responsible, and whether the NFL should compensate players for medical (and other) issues that are result of brain injuries (i.e., team liabilities). Helmets are supplied by the team, and players have no choice in what helmets they wear. And yet, I haven't heard of any liabilities or actions taken regarding players not be able to chose which brand/model helmets they wear.

saab2000
04-15-2019, 05:24 PM
There is currently a lot of action going on regarding head injuries in NFL football, how much the teams are responsible, and whether the NFL should compensate players for medical (and other) issues that are result of brain injuries (i.e., team liabilities). Helmets are supplied by the team, and players have no choice in what helmets they wear. And yet, I haven't heard of any liabilities or actions taken regarding players not be able to chose which brand/model helmets they wear.

Players actually do have a choice. In fact, Tom Brady will have to change helmet brands for the upcoming season because his preferred model isn’t going to be legal in the NFL for the 2019 season.

Black Dog
04-15-2019, 06:58 PM
For the same reason anyone would choose one helmet over another if they felt safer in the first helmet. Just like all cars must pass the same safety standards yet some car buyers choose certain cars over others because they feel safer in the chosen car.

Feeling safer is Not the same as being safer. Can the team sue a rider if they wear a helmet other than the teams choice if the team “feels” it is not as safe and the rider sustains a head injury? After all they would likely have to pay out the contact and provide some resources for recovery for a rider that is not on the start line. There is no other country that is litigious as the USA to its own harm. It is hard for those of us that live outside the US to see the world in this way. Please don’t sue me for disagreeing with the litigation industrial complex. :help:

Bentley
04-15-2019, 07:11 PM
Posts multiple times challenging helmet in original WaveCell thread

Posts picture from 2018 race saying "No riders likey!!!"

Posts comment "well......NOT ALL riders were wearing it"

Has yet to post actual picture from 2019 showing riders NOT wearing it.

Sigh..........:rolleyes:

Ok, what is that monstrosity???

azrider
04-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Ok, what is that monstrosity???

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/showcase/pursuit

https://images.giant-bicycles.com/b_white,c_pad,h_1000,q_80/uj2eh07goovpyqcqgpkr/CORVOS_00030487-009.jpg

ultraman6970
04-15-2019, 11:49 PM
old pic because BMC is no more and in the picture there's a guy from BMC team.

Old Pic.

m4rk540
04-16-2019, 12:12 AM
old pic because BMC is no more and in the picture there's a guy from BMC team.

And EF not rocking the Rapha haute couture.