PDA

View Full Version : OT: Notre Dame Cathedral

dbnm
04-15-2019, 02:03 PM
What a shame. I've never seen it in person but feel so awful as I watch things unfold.

livingminimal
04-15-2019, 02:05 PM
Its completely heartbreaking.

I am fortunate to have seen it several times. but I always have looked forward to the next time, and it is absolutely awful that there wont be one.

fa63
04-15-2019, 02:05 PM
I was there just a couple months ago; tragic indeed :(

bcroslin
04-15-2019, 02:06 PM
Terrible. I've thankfully seen it twice and was able to do a tour of the spires 5 years ago.

mcteague
04-15-2019, 02:10 PM
POTUS has it under control.

sitzmark
04-15-2019, 02:21 PM
The grand scale, the architecture, the age, and the history .... religious or not, it is a structure that takes your breath away when stepping inside.

retrofit
04-15-2019, 02:36 PM
Visited last summer.
The heart of Paris. Incredible loss.

MattTuck
04-15-2019, 02:41 PM
Surely they will rebuild.

joosttx
04-15-2019, 02:43 PM
Check out Flash’s IG. He’s was right there when the fire began

asindc
04-15-2019, 02:43 PM
I hope no one was hurt. I'm somewhat sad to hear this, as it is one of the landmarks I didn't visit on my first trip to Paris. Hoping to see it the next time I'm there.

Bruce K
04-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Seriously mcteague? Knock off the politics.

This is a horrible cultural loss for both the French and the world. Hopefully some of the important treasures were able to be saved.

A friend on vacation posted pictures from the cathedral from her visit this morning.

BK

benb
04-15-2019, 02:47 PM
We're going to go to France and Germany in July.. we were going to go visit Notre Dame early in our trip... very sad.

Hoping to see the finish of Stage 5 of the Tour as well.

Joxster
04-15-2019, 02:52 PM
My Sister in Law is there just now, we got a text from her saying there's a problem with the spire. Followed by 'Bloody autocorrect!!! the Cathedral is on FIRE"

mcteague
04-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Seriously mcteague? Knock off the politics.

This is a horrible cultural loss for both the French and the world. Hopefully some of the important treasures were able to be saved.

A friend on vacation posted pictures from the cathedral from her visit this morning.

BK

I will when he stops making every situation worse.

Tim

Johnnysmooth
04-15-2019, 02:59 PM
Absolutely heartbreaking. Have had the good fortune to have visited the Norte Dame countless times including a few masses. It was truly a holy place. Just stepping in the doors and you were just taken aback.

And let's not begin talking about the roses... Incredible stain glass work

huckjai
04-15-2019, 03:00 PM
This is very sad indeed. My wife wanted to visit Paris to see the cathedral. We kept putting it off because of all the terrorist attacks and the protests. Now this just happened, so I'm not sure when we would go.

Chris
04-15-2019, 03:00 PM

Tim

Dude. Seriously? We are likely on the same page, but to turn this thread into an eventual lock at a time like this?

Idris Icabod
04-15-2019, 03:02 PM
Terrible, hopefully there are no casualties. I remember the York Minster (an equally impressive structure) in the UK partially burned. Restoration is complete back to it's former glory so hopefully the fire fighters can get the blaze under control before too much damage occurs.

tuxbailey
04-15-2019, 03:02 PM
I saw it back in 2002 and I was in awe. Saw it both at the cathedral and also from an evening Seine river cruise, which was spectacular when it was bathed in the evening lights.

I was hoping to take my daughter to Europe when she is older ....

Sure, it could be rebuilt but it will never be the same. Specially the stained glass since those are irreplaceable.

Blue Jays
04-15-2019, 03:05 PM
People seemingly have difficulty restraining themselves about current events.
They apparently must include the President of the United States in every thread.

Blue Jays
04-15-2019, 03:08 PM
"...Especially the stained glass since those are irreplaceable..."
My mouth was hanging open at the sheer height and beauty of Notre Dame Cathedral when visiting years ago.
As you said, the stunning view from a Seine River cruise is similarly breathtaking. I was in total awe.

572cv
04-15-2019, 03:11 PM
We’re in France now. It has been windy through the country all day. This cathedral was epic in every way, and has endured for more than three times the length of the United States. What have we, or anyone else, built or done in our lifetimes that might have an impact so many years hence? I hope there are no injuries to the pompiers (firefighters) struggling with this catastrophy.

Bruce K
04-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Mcteague - Check the Forum User Agreement and your PMs

Fortunately it appears they saved all the relics and the cathedral treasury.

Unfortunately the rest appears to be a total loss.

BK

palincss
04-15-2019, 03:27 PM
I saw it back in 2002 and I was in awe.

I saw it in 1969 and I am still in awe. The architecture was profoundly inspiring. The stained glass was magnificent. But the part I remember most is when an organist started playing - and it was like listening to thunder in the vaults overhead. "Awesome" in its most literal sense.

Tragic is the only word for this.

FlashUNC
04-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Craig Gaulzetti and I were having a beer and dinner at a cafe two blocks away when the fire broke out.

People were in the streets in tears. It's a total tragedy.

Just got back to my hotel as the entire area is shutdown.

monkeybanana86
04-15-2019, 03:31 PM
Awful and heartbreaking. They're still trying to contain it.

parris
04-15-2019, 03:32 PM
We are all the poorer for this. It doesn't matter who or what you believe in.

redir
04-15-2019, 03:35 PM
That is an incredible loss. Things like this have been happening since the Romans and Greeks but it's just more tragic when it happens on your watch. IS the place still burning too or was it just the spire? Can't seem to figure out whats going on in the news.

OtayBW
04-15-2019, 04:08 PM
Terrible, hopefully there are no casualties. I remember the York Minster (an equally impressive structure) in the UK partially burned. Restoration is complete back to it's former glory so hopefully the fire fighters can get the blaze under control before too much damage occurs.I don't know why I feel so emotionally connected to this, but man, this hurts....

tv_vt
04-15-2019, 04:11 PM
Have been there several times in my life, last time a few years ago. It's a place you just thought would always be there.

Last time there, scaffolding was in place in several areas. Seems like the roof has been under repair for years. Guessing that the fire broke out in repair area, maybe due to welding gases or something like that?

The whole world is poorer for this loss.

livingminimal
04-15-2019, 04:21 PM
If there was going to be good news, the damage seems to be less than previously feared or even reported.

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1117898151958962176

denapista
04-15-2019, 04:40 PM
My buddy is over there as well...

Is there any mention of the origin of the fire?

Ozz
04-15-2019, 04:54 PM

Is there any mention of the origin of the fire?
Investigation will start after fire is put out....current theory seems to be the renovation, which included a lead roof, which I imagine requires some sort of soldering to install..

Very sad situation.....

A bit of good news: "By 11 p.m., Gen. Jean-Claude Gallet, the Paris fire chief, said that the structure, including the two magnificent towers soaring above the skyline, had been “saved and preserved as a whole,” but that two-thirds of the roof was destroyed."

Elefantino
04-15-2019, 05:23 PM
Absolutely horrific. Was lucky enough to have attended Mass there in 2006.

This hurts to see.

wc1934
04-15-2019, 05:24 PM
So sad. A precious architectural and religious treasure that can never be replaced.

martl
04-15-2019, 06:26 PM
i saw a tweet with a recent pic from the inside, which looked very unimpressed.

and this:
https://twitter.com/APDiploWriter/status/1117897869841686528

if it holds up, that is truely good news!

#Fluctuatnecmergitur

eddief
04-15-2019, 06:30 PM
hard to get perspective.

martl
04-15-2019, 06:40 PM
https://twitter.com/GPN1000/status/1117911262959034368

m_sasso
04-15-2019, 06:41 PM
The internal damage does not look to bad, sad day!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4OmYCVW0AAX_jO.jpg:large

djg
04-15-2019, 06:45 PM
This is terribly sad -- a blow to the heart of Paris.

I'm somewhat relieved to read that the outer structure remains largely intact, but the photos looking down inside suggest that the roof is gone and most of the interior gutted. It's hard to believe that the beautiful windows survived the heat. Maybe tapestries had been removed for the renovation?

Sainte-Chapelle was always my favorite, for the architecture and the glass, but Notre Dame has always been something else. I love Paris.

bicycletricycle
04-15-2019, 07:27 PM

Tim

How is that making it worse?

gemship
04-15-2019, 07:42 PM
How is that making it worse?

Not necessarily worse in my opinion just insult to injury. He'd rather give some lip service to the evening news about this because as they say he's more of a real estate expert than a leader of the free world. Also the evening news made mention of him wanting to give Tiger Woods a trophy in regards to him winning the Masters because you know how Trump loves golf more than addressing problems he was elected to help solve rather than create. How that guy sleeps at night without guilt is an even better question.

Chris
04-15-2019, 08:04 PM
Not necessarily worse in my opinion just insult to injury. He'd rather give some lip service to the evening news about this because as they say he's more of a real estate expert than a leader of the free world. Also the evening news made mention of him wanting to give Tiger Woods a trophy in regards to him winning the Masters because you know how Trump loves golf more than addressing problems he was elected to help solve rather than create. How that guy sleeps at night without guilt is an even better question.

Just stop

gemship
04-15-2019, 08:14 PM
Just stop

Sorry....I indulged in the offtopic of the offtopic. This is a cycling forum so if folks want to talk about burning cathedrals they really should find the appropriate forum so there's that. However just to get back on the topic of this thread, it's amazing this cathedral survived wars and whatever else only to meet this fate but I really don't know how much of it is original to really say that. And to look like the bad guy even further still I can't help but think that the burning of this cathedral is somewhat symbolic, at least in my view recent situations attacking the Catholic faith with playful priest who can't keep their hands to themselves and all that. Flame away....

Blue Jays
04-15-2019, 08:18 PM
At this rate it will not be much longer until admins are compelled to lock this thread.

GOTHBROOKS
04-15-2019, 08:19 PM
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/15940436_747948115362077_7372109552014912220_n.png .jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=1d7b8175cd72a9284fd3e023a6f85bfe&oe=5D29A274

Chris
04-15-2019, 08:28 PM
Sorry....I indulged in the offtopic of the offtopic. This is a cycling forum so if folks want to talk about burning cathedrals they really should find the appropriate forum so there's that. However just to get back on the topic of this thread, it's amazing this cathedral survived wars and whatever else only to meet this fate but I really don't know how much of it is original to really say that. And to look like the bad guy even further still I can't help but think that the burning of this cathedral is somewhat symbolic, at least in my view recent situations attacking the Catholic faith with playful priest who can't keep their hands to themselves and all that. Flame away....

I was over at the burning catherdral forum but all they were talking about was Paris Roubaix.

gemship
04-15-2019, 08:31 PM
Well we don't really know how the fire was set. Maybe it was some disgruntled worshipper? Then again it could of been birds pecking away at some wires or someone carelessly flicking a butt into a trash can...things that make you go hymmm.

gemship
04-15-2019, 08:33 PM
I was over at the burning catherdral forum but all they were talking about was Paris Roubaix.

Ha,ha and touche. That made me laugh.

ERK55
04-15-2019, 08:48 PM

A few days ago the panties vs thongs thread was instantly locked.
And this is still open???

Dino Suegiù
04-15-2019, 08:59 PM
They will re-build. It seems that many major parts are intact, the art included. The structure should be OK. The lessons of that building are so strong, and so beautiful on so many levels. Fortunately the fire did not spread off the Ile. Hopefully Sainte-Chapelle and and its amazing glass and reliquary was not affected.

It is sad but not surprising (the vagaries are seemingly very vague) that some of the strange responses here do not match the elegance of the structure or the spirit. Victor Hugo must be crying, but in fact the book will never kill the cathedral, especially that cathedral: they will always co-exist, and it will surely stand again.

William
04-15-2019, 09:06 PM
...It is sad but not surprising (the vagaries are seemingly very vague) that some of the strange responses here do not match the elegance of the structure or the spirit. Victor Hugo must be crying, but in fact the book will never kill the cathedral, especially that cathedral: they will always co-exist, and it will surely stand again.

A sad event, and also sad that a few members can't help but flame away and grind their personal axes. This thread is now closed, feel free to start another if you wish. In the meantime, a couple of folks have, and will be getting time outs.

William