PDA

View Full Version : Soulcraft

Steelhead
12-02-2006, 06:54 AM
I've been watching these guys for about two years and am considering getting one of their road (Model: Royale) frames. Also hear that their hardtail XC Bike is very nice.

Any member here own one, had one or know someone who has? What is your input? Thanks ! :)

Jack Brunk
12-02-2006, 07:42 PM
I have a xc single speed soulcraft. Workmanship is first class and handles like a Porsche on single track. Quite a bargain at $1250.

Jack

crossjunkee
12-02-2006, 09:24 PM
There was a post by "ashwinearl" a while back. He posted this link:

http://ashwinearl.blogspot.com/2006/04/going-custom-introduction-and-index.html

I'm keeping this link because the Soulcraft frame pictured is one of the coolest looking frames I've seen. Very simple, but also elegant. I talked to Soulcraft a few years about a hardtail, nice guys to talk to. I ended up with a Moots YBB for timed endurance races. I'll for sure own a Soulcraft someday.

ashwinearl
12-04-2006, 07:56 PM
The pict off my blog is indeed a soulcraft. I think what makes the bike stand out is the straight bladed fork which is also made by soulcraft.

I personally ended up getting a Kish steel road bike that is utterly wonderful. I was tempted to go with that exact straight bladed fork that Kish would source from Soulcraft but ended up going with a Alpha Q.

Soulcraft has gone to a single person ownership recently. So cost and the time it takes to get one is going to go up.

Steelhead
12-04-2006, 09:19 PM
So I guess Sean Walling is now the owner....I saw a recent quote from him in Dirt Rag. They make some nice stuff.

Steelhead
12-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I personally ended up getting a Kish steel road bike that is utterly wonderful

I thought Kish only worked in Ti, I'm glad to know they are working with steel as well. I am also interested in Sycip - but their website doesn't really show much in the way of photos as to what road bikes thay offer in steel or steel/carbon. Carl Strong is also on my short list.

My first pick is the Serotta CDA. :banana:

ashwinearl
12-05-2006, 06:25 PM
I personally ended up getting a Kish steel road bike that is utterly wonderful

I thought Kish only worked in Ti, I'm glad to know they are working with steel as well. I am also interested in Sycip - but their website doesn't really show much in the way of photos as to what road bikes thay offer in steel or steel/carbon. Carl Strong is also on my short list.

My first pick is the Serotta CDA. :banana:

Kish does steel as well.
http://static.flickr.com/61/171428596_aa315cb957.jpg

He said that the majority of his business is Ti though. He is the Ti welding instructor at UBI.

Sycip powder coats Kish and Soulcraft bikes (at least the ones that don't get sent to Spectrum for an extra cost). It's ok powder. Not spectacular. Sycip seems like they can do anything from lugged to whatever.

Carl strong is well regarded as well.

Jack Brunk
12-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Here's my Soulcraft.

quehill
12-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Wow... As we say in Nor Cal, that's hella cool.

steelrider
12-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Wow... As we say in Nor Cal, that's hella cool.

Music to my ears! Vintage B-Town High vernacular. Yeah Buddy.

Serpico
12-05-2006, 07:52 PM
jack, that bike looks phenomenal

great paint (love the down tube decals) and the spec. what are those hubs? 'Industry Nine"??

very classy

Jack Brunk
12-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Serpico,

Thanks for the kind words. I met the Industry Nine guys this year at the Sea Otter Classic. The wheels were built on Stan's not tube lightweight rims and their in house hubs. Total weight is 1400 grams. I saw them at Interbike and the Industry has also taken notice as they were swomped with OEM orders. The wheels are as smooth as silk.

Jack

Chad Engle
12-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Mr. Brunk, your bikes never cease to amaze me. That is one cool ride.

musgravecycles
12-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Jack,

You have one of the pimpin'est stables ever bro...