PDA

View Full Version : Cross Country Bike Protection

2LeftCleats
04-14-2019, 07:45 AM
In a few weeks we’ll be relocating 2000 mi away. Taking about a week to drive it. Doubt there will be room in the car for my bike, belongings and dog, so bought a rack for the top. I plan to remove it each night, but would like to protect it from rain. I was thinking heavy duty trash bags taped tightly to minimize noise, but would appreciate any other advice. Thanks.

fmradio516
04-14-2019, 08:06 AM
Rain wont hurt it. At the end of the trip, hit it with a light spray from a hose to wash off the dirt/bugs and youre good! I dont really have access to a hose so I just wipe it down with Bike Lust.

NYCfixie
04-14-2019, 08:32 AM
Unless you are going to ride it, why not box it up, send it via FedEx/UPS, and use the hold at location feature. Seems like so much less hassle for not that much money.

Mr. Pink
04-14-2019, 08:40 AM
Rain wont hurt it.

I don't know about that. Driving 60mph through a driving rainstorm sure seems to be the equivilant to aiming a strong garden hose spray directly at all sensitive parts and whatever small entrances there may be into the frame, which, of course, one is told never to do when washing the bike. Furgetaboutit if it's a steel frame.

AngryScientist
04-14-2019, 08:42 AM
Unless you are going to ride it, why not box it up, send it via FedEx/UPS, and use the hold at location feature. Seems like so much less hassle for not that much money.

this sounds like a great plan actually.

Mr. Pink
04-14-2019, 08:48 AM
What is this "hold at location" feature? You can do that? For how long?

AngryScientist
04-14-2019, 08:51 AM
What is this "hold at location" feature? You can do that? For how long?

at least with my local FedEx...

you can choose to have the delivery diverted to the local FedEx store and they'll hold it for up to 7 days. Probably more if you just called and talked to them, they've been pretty accommodating from my experience, but that's a local situation.

Mr. Pink
04-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Cool. I'd even pay for more time if it wasnt too much.

2LeftCleats
04-14-2019, 09:04 AM
Frankly, hadn’t thought about shipping since we won’t have a fixed address for awhile. But I’ve already paid $200+ for the rack. I’ve had down tubes and wheels filled with water in the past so thought I’d better protect it somehow.

Thanks for the ideas.

Polyglot
04-14-2019, 09:20 AM

Frankly, hadn’t thought about shipping since we won’t have a fixed address for awhile. But I’ve already paid $200+ for the rack. I’ve had down tubes and wheels filled with water in the past so thought I’d better protect it somehow.

Thanks for the ideas.

I support the idea of shipping, especially if you use something like bike flights. I would simply return the rack (if possible). Also don't forget that beyond the hassle of always unloading the bike every day, there is risk of theft that is frequently not covered by most insurance and the appreciable increase in fuel consumption (as much as 25% higher depending on the car and type of rack and bike). I would only transport a bike on the roof rack for a maximum one day drive, and then only if I could always keep a direct line of sight on the bike(s) at all times. I will be making a similar move of 3200 miles in the fall.

zennmotion
04-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Another idea is Greyhound (bus) freight. I believe you can arrange for delivery or have it picked up at the station.

2LeftCleats
04-14-2019, 10:36 AM
Thanks. Maybe shipping’s the better choice.

AngryScientist
04-14-2019, 11:25 AM
Cool. I'd even pay for more time if it wasnt too much.

it doesnt cost more, in fact, i suspect FedEx prefers this as they drop off a bunch of packages in one spot and not have to veer into the neighborhoods.

for me it's the only way to go when "signature required" - as i cant guarantee i'll be home when the truck gets there, and i know it's in a secure spot that i can pick up at my leisure. my local store is open till like 11PM too, which is super convenient for picking stuff up.

skiezo
04-14-2019, 11:48 AM
A friend of mine moved west to east a year ago. He had the bike shipped to my LBS and they held it for a few weeks in the basement. So you could ask the PL what LBS could/would be willing to accommodate that.

Steve in SLO
04-14-2019, 12:17 PM
I have something called a Dirtbag bike protector that mounts to the front fork drop out area and stretches over the handlebars and back to the saddle. It acts like a Lycra fairing for the bike. It protects against rain and bugs splats in the forward area. That combined with some saddle and seat post to seat tube protection ( I have used a piece of innertube stretched over the seatpost and then stretched it down over the seat cluster, and also used a piece of pipe wrap overwrapped with tape for this) would do a good job.
Not sure if you can still get a Dirtbag, but if you decide to go this route you can borrow mine. Just PM me.

bikinchris
04-14-2019, 12:18 PM
I don't know about that. Driving 60mph through a driving rainstorm sure seems to be the equivilant to aiming a strong garden hose spray directly at all sensitive parts and whatever small entrances there may be into the frame, which, of course, one is told never to do when washing the bike. Furgetaboutit if it's a steel frame.

I have driven through the rain many times with bikes on the roof. Sometimes in very heavy storms at interstate speeds. Never had a problem.