PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike > Gravel Bike, The Line Between Is Getting Blurry

Burnette
04-13-2019, 01:45 PM
INTRODUCING...
THE MCR 9 RDO

Introducing the world’s first full-suspension gravel bike – the Niner Magic Carpet Ride

Just saw this bike on a blog, Niner's full suspension gravel bike. My snap judgment is wow, this is crazy. After contemplation I would like to ride it to see how it goes.

Instead of linking the blog, which was wonky, I'll link Niner's page on it:

https://ninerbikes.com/pages/the-mcr-9-rdo
https://images.app.goo.gl/eRj2v5CG1QdSmyM19

gdw
04-13-2019, 02:22 PM
That looks like a practical design for a lot of the folks who are transitioning from paved to dirt roads. The suspension offers enough cushioning for washboards and smoother singletrack and is probable pretty efficient when set up properly. That said, I wonder how long it will take for the new gravel riders to discover that MTB hardtails with classic NORBA geometry, skinnier tires, and flat bars equipped with barends are better suited to the type of riding they're interested in than a lot of the purpose built gravel bikes popping up recently.

spiderman
04-13-2019, 02:36 PM
...full suspension gravel/single track
With a 50 tooth rear disc...and should accommodate
A nice range of tires...wireless Eagle drivetrain...
Just not sure where to post it or as what...
It’s a custom build of a production bike
For gravel and single track and who knows
I may also take it out on the road and run a
Studded fat tire on the front in winter ❄️!

jtbadge
04-13-2019, 02:50 PM
That looks like a practical design for a lot of the folks who are transitioning from paved to dirt roads. The suspension offers enough cushioning for washboards and smoother singletrack and is probable pretty efficient when set up properly. That said, I wonder how long it will take for the new gravel riders to discover that MTB hardtails with classic NORBA geometry, skinnier tires, and flat bars equipped with barends are better suited to the type of riding they're interested in than a lot of the purpose built gravel bikes popping up recently.

The geometry is not that different between a classic MTB and a modern gravel bike - with one major exception. The new stuff is sized properly to be fitted with drop bars.

Honestly, a rigid steel frame with 27.5" XC tires around 2 - 2.25" wide, sized for wide dropbars, would be ideal for the way I ride mountains in LA. Riding the roads for miles and miles, then climbs straight up and descents right back down.

Spdntrxi
04-13-2019, 04:20 PM
22lbs though

54ny77
04-13-2019, 04:21 PM
That's pretty sweet rig!

Personally, I like the idea of the Cannondale Slate. Anything more than that (i.e., a lot of suspension on really crappy roads, ), might as well ride a mountain bike.

https://www.cannondale.com/~/media/Images/Dorel/Products/Variants/C15809M10MD/Variants/images/nbtcnoygi0ogm7unwwvc.ashx?mw=1000

Mark McM
04-13-2019, 08:20 PM
The geometry is not that different between a classic MTB and a modern gravel bike - with one major exception. The new stuff is sized properly to be fitted with drop bars.

The full suspension Niner geometry is closer to being halfway between a classic MTB and gravel bike. A classic MTB has a longer top tube, shorter fork offset (more trail), longer front center, and often a shorter and shallower head tube. The Niner is edging closer to an MTB, but it's only about halfway there.