PDA

View Full Version : Need long-er reach brake recommendations

sailorboy
04-13-2019, 12:15 PM
So my next build inbound with rim brakes will be a Chris Bishop that he wisely convinced me to go with room for 32mm tires, but it is still a go-fast road bike and will have a current road group. Only issue with that and rim brakes is that the build group will be shimano and dura ace and ultegra brakes spec up to 28mm tires only akaik.

What have folks used recently that are stylish enough to go with either a 9100 or 8000 group (so not bright silver) and function well enough? I've seen the black version of velo orange gran cru's that look pretty good and would likely function well enough. Any other options out there that won't break the bank and fit 32s?

onomic
04-13-2019, 12:22 PM
I’ve heard good things about the TRP RG957. Comes in black. I run Shimano BR-R600s on my Seven and it’s a great brake but I’ve only seen them in silver, but I’m a silver kind of guy.

David Kirk
04-13-2019, 12:24 PM
What reach brakes was the frame and fork designed to use?

dave

eddief
04-13-2019, 01:20 PM
a couple of hangers and you're good to go.

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/components/racer-medium/

JasonF
04-13-2019, 01:31 PM
I've used both the TRP's and Grand Cru's extensively. I think the Grand Cru's look better, but the TRP's work better (not as spongy).

sailorboy
04-13-2019, 01:47 PM
What reach brakes was the frame and fork designed to use?

dave

Well, I think that is part of what Chris wants to know before the frame is finished.
So I guess I have to pick it and let him know

rpm
04-13-2019, 02:02 PM
I just installed the Grand Cru brakes and I find them very stiff, smooth, and well made. I think they may have a bit more clearance than the TRP’s.

NYCfixie
04-13-2019, 02:18 PM
TRP RG957 here with great success on my mid-reach brake Seven Axiom SL.

I originally went with the "grey" because it matched my Ultegra 6800. I have a set of black ones in storage for a future R9100 upgrade. With 8000, I would just go with the black ones.

The VOs look "machined".
The TRPs just look like a modern road brake.
Either one will work so choose the one you like.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2196/9775/products/3_4_1_14.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41BvWWHBuDL._SX425_.jpg

choke
04-13-2019, 03:30 PM
a couple of hangers and you're good to go.

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/components/racer-medium/+11ty billion. Racer Ms are great brakes.

kingpin75s
04-13-2019, 03:44 PM
+11ty billion. Racer Ms are great brakes.

If you still have the opportunity to have dedicated posts and a rear cant hanger added to the frame for Medium Racers, by all means do it. Fantastic brakes.

palincss
04-13-2019, 04:59 PM
Or, since this is a custom, you could have brazed on Paul Racer centerpulls. Plenty of clearance for 32mm tires, lots of room for fenders, a fantastic feel at the brake lever, and (at least to me) they look great too.

sailorboy
04-13-2019, 07:58 PM
I've used both the TRP's and Grand Cru's extensively. I think the Grand Cru's look better, but the TRP's work better (not as spongy).

This is kind of what I was thinking about the looks as well. Thx for the feedback. I guess it's form OR function then? I'll prolly leave it up to Chris which one he prefers to see on the bike.

AngryScientist
04-13-2019, 08:04 PM
this may be of use.

i prefer the TRPs based on functionality myself.

https://blackmtncycles.com/clearance-pt-ii-road-frames/

sparky33
04-13-2019, 08:04 PM
The answer is cantilevers because sidepulls are too easy.

fwiw TRP or GranC, both great stoppers... the TRP has a more functional quick release.

sailorboy
04-13-2019, 08:06 PM
If you still have the opportunity to have dedicated posts and a rear cant hanger added to the frame for Medium Racers, by all means do it. Fantastic brakes.

Or, since this is a custom, you could have brazed on Paul Racer centerpulls. Plenty of clearance for 32mm tires, lots of room for fenders, a fantastic feel at the brake lever, and (at least to me) they look great too.

Looking like the final product will use the ritchey carbon fork cuz it takes 32mm tires. Not sure if these have an option for the direct mount brakes.

rccardr
04-13-2019, 08:11 PM
Paul centerpulls. They are astounding...but $$$.

Or, if you just want to be able to stop with fenders, Tektro 539's. If they work descending Cypress Mountain Road at high speed, they can do pretty much anything brakewise. Only come in silver or black, but hey, if you're bankrolling a Bishop, take 'em apart and change the finish.

palincss
04-13-2019, 09:42 PM

It's true, Paul Racers cost more than Tektro sidepulls. At about $300 for a set, plus or minus, they're not cheap. However, in my experience over the years brakes are for the life of the frame and the pleasure of a good one or the irritation of a not so good one far outweigh whatever cost difference there might be.

And it's not like these brakes are going to go on a frame and fork you picked up on ebay or at the thrift shop, right? If you're going with a Chris Bishop frame you're already up there in the major leagues.

jtbadge
04-13-2019, 09:58 PM
Looking like the final product will use the ritchey carbon fork cuz it takes 32mm tires. Not sure if these have an option for the direct mount brakes.

The Ritchey fork takes short pull calipers, so you're just looking at whatever matches your groupset.

NYCfixie
04-14-2019, 02:03 AM

I am not sure a Ritchey rim brake fork exists that will fit 32mm tires (especially as I do not think they have ever created a mid-reach brake fork).

FlashUNC
04-14-2019, 05:29 AM
Will the fork support direct mount?

I've got 30s easily on my Gaulzetti with standard direct mount.

sailorboy
04-14-2019, 07:59 AM
I am not sure a Ritchey rim brake fork exists that will fit 32mm tires (especially as I do not think they have ever created a mid-reach brake fork).

Yea, I just saw in the Ritchey product description that it only goes to 28mm. It was Chris' recommendation that I go with the Ritchey since he claims it will accept a larger tire. It's the same as he has on his green/black bike which I guess he fits 32s in? Possible it is an older model, but I'll have to double check with him.

sailorboy
04-14-2019, 08:03 AM

Or, if you just want to be able to stop with fenders, Tektro 539's. If they work descending Cypress Mountain Road at high speed, they can do pretty much anything brakewise. Only come in silver or black, but hey, if you're bankrolling a Bishop, take 'em apart and change the finish.

Ha! It's b/c I'm bankrolling a Bishop that I'll have to take the cheapest option I can find that will stop the bike.

Will the fork support direct mount?

I've got 30s easily on my Gaulzetti with standard direct mount.

I'm starting to think this may be the option I need to throw in the mix. DCT loves the direct mounts that came on his Bishop show bike (the white one). They don't look half bad either.

zennmotion
04-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Ha! It's b/c I'm bankrolling a Bishop that I'll have to take the cheapest option I can find that will stop the bike.

I'm starting to think this may be the option I need to throw in the mix. DCT loves the direct mounts that came on his Bishop show bike (the white one). They don't look half bad either.

I was making the same decision a few years ago- nice new pricey custom all-road frame to fit 35mm tires, and I was also budget stretched. I wanted "good" rim brakes to fit wide tires and fenders and I had decided on Shimano 11 speed as the best bang for buck option. I ended up spending money on Paul's (got a decent deal on ebay, but still over $200) and kept in the budget by selecting 5800 for the rest of the group instead of Ultegra/Dura Ace. I'm happy with the choice, as the brakes are up to the hype, and I can confirm (as many others in here do, and online reviews support) that there is very little performance difference (as in none that I can discern) between 11sp 105 and Dura Ace shifters and drivetrains- I have both on other bikes. Get the Paul's and "downgrade" to 105 IMO. Or, compromise with an Ultegra crank and 105 everything else since that's where appearance and weight most differ between the two groups. I found this blog post useful to help "get over" the idea of "lesser" components on a premium frame, this seems to make a good argument for cost-effective decisions where to spend and where to save with Shimano.

https://www.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mechanic/shimano-road-components-where-to-spend-your-money/

NYCfixie
04-14-2019, 12:44 PM
...Get the Paul's and "downgrade" to 105 IMO...

This appears to be very good and thoughtful advice because you can always upgrade the components but you only get one shot at deciding what braking system to use on your custom frame.

zennmotion
04-14-2019, 01:36 PM
This appears to be very good and thoughtful advice because you can always upgrade the components but you only get one shot at deciding what braking system to use on your custom frame.

Building a nice bike with a budget cap IMO:

Frame>Fork>Wheels and Tires>Brakes>Contact Points>Drivetrain Components

NYCfixie
04-14-2019, 02:23 PM
Building a nice bike with a budget cap IMO:

Frame>Fork>Wheels and Tires>Brakes>Contact Points>Drivetrain Components

My version for a custom bike (but not necessarily a budget bike):

Contact Points (aka fit points)>Frame>Fork>Wheel choice>Brake choice>Tires>Saddle/Seatpost/Stem/Bars>Drive-train Components