PDA

View Full Version : Best endurance frame for group rides

guru
04-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Need the geometry of an endurance frame for a proper fit but looking for bike for fast group rides. Thinking of Cervelo C5, Scott addict, Focus paralane, Cannondale synapse, BMC roadmachine, or Giant defy. Anyone own one or can recommend one of these?

charliedid
04-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Best does not exist.

Go ride some bikes (while you still can) and buy the one that you think works best not the one I think works best.

They are all perfectly good bikes. Some might even come in a color you prefer.

yinzerniner
04-12-2019, 07:08 PM
Need the geometry of an endurance frame for a proper fit but looking for bike for fast group rides. Thinking of Cervelo C5, Scott addict, Focus paralane, Cannondale synapse, BMC roadmachine, or Giant defy. Anyone own one or can recommend one of these?

Easy answer - the Expert Bike Fit Evo SLX Hi Mod Aero Pro Plus Limited Rider Edition

false_Aest
04-12-2019, 07:16 PM
Your question is kind've like me posting the following to a car forum:

"Need a recommendation for a car for driving on the highway. Thinking of Ford Taurus, Honda Civic, Lexus ES, McLaren Sedan, Porsche Panamera, Yugo. Anyone have one or can recommend one?"

So much basic information is missing.

The only place to start is by saying "There's so much basic information missing."

SeanScott
04-12-2019, 07:16 PM
Those are all hot frames.
I can only speak of the Scott, obscenely light and stiff. Great climbing machine.
I guess pick your favorite? You could test them all but it not only depends on the frame but the build. A bad set of wheels could make any of those feel sluggish.

Elefantino
04-12-2019, 07:21 PM
+1 to Charlie. What's best?

Fastest? No such thing.

Lightest? If that's your thing, easily find-out-able.

Comfort? All things being equal, it's hard to tell the difference between those frames and tire width/pressure can dramatically change the feel of any bike more than claims of high-zoot carbon.

Position? Check the stack and reach of each and try the one that's closest to your own measurements or where you want to be.

There's one bike you didn't mention and if you want PM me and I'll give you the PR schpiel.

Elefantino
04-12-2019, 07:26 PM
Your question is kind've like me posting the following to a car forum:

"Need a recommendation for a car for driving on the highway. Thinking of Ford Taurus, Honda Civic, Lexus ES, McLaren Sedan, Porsche Panamera, Yugo. Anyone have one or can recommend one?"

So much basic information is missing.

The only place to start is by saying "There's so much basic information missing."
The correct answer is the Bentley Continental (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U53oBtVFEyI), of course. ;)

eddief
04-12-2019, 08:18 PM
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/gear-reviews/bikesframes/pinarello-unveils-dogma-fs-a-full-electronic-suspension-road-bike/

guru
04-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Just like to hear about real world evaluations rather than magazine reviews. Some are just overhyped and others that are sort of obscure have stellar reviews from their owners
I’d have to travel country wide to test them all, most shops limit themselves to 1 or 2 brands nowadays I think a lot of bike brands probably come out of the same factory but some have some negative issues that come about with long term use

eddief
04-12-2019, 08:47 PM
It's a Trek Domane from 2017 I think. Has rear elastomer but no front stuff. No Di2, no discs, 28mm tires and a Specialized CG-R seatpost. Probably 5K miles on the factory wheels without ever having to touch a spoke wrench. I have owned a zillion.2 bikes in the last 15 years. It does everything just right for me. Comfy, responsive and...wait for it...vertically compliant.

gemship
04-12-2019, 08:52 PM
Just like to hear about real world evaluations rather than magazine reviews. Some are just overhyped and others that are sort of obscure have stellar reviews from their owners
I’d have to travel country wide to test them all, most shops limit themselves to 1 or 2 brands nowadays I think a lot of bike brands probably come out of the same factory but some have some negative issues that come about with long term use

Have you tried doing a search on YouTube? I am always surprised by the depth of videos, pro/amateur reviews posted. Give it a shot...

KarlC
04-12-2019, 09:41 PM

I understand asking questions like this, and how some say there is not ez answer.

But the problem is when you read about a bike that you may be interested in for the most part all the reviews say they are great, the best and most amazing ever. Yet we all know that just cant be, some bike are better than others at some things, so I trust real world rider input from guys on this board.

dddd
04-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Colnago CX-Zero impressed me, mine is rim-braked but they offer a disc model.
Not sure if this model is still part of their current lineup, but there are some available for sale at this time.
Sizing is offered in traditional and sloping top-tube, and my 52s model fits like a traditional 55-56cm Colnago but with a much taller headtube.

rccardr
04-12-2019, 09:53 PM
I looked at a bunch and bought a Canyon Endurace. Carbon, discs, takes up to 32's, DT wheelset, so far bombproof, comfy all day rider.

But like others have said above, the one that's best for you is not necessarily the one that's best for me.

pdmtong
04-12-2019, 10:01 PM
58 or 61?
https://shop.sportsbasement.com/products/synapse-hm-disc-d-a?variant=12251110178888#/tab3

elcolombiano
04-12-2019, 10:05 PM
The best bicycle to ride is the one your feet are on top of the pedals.

joosttx
04-12-2019, 10:42 PM
Get a Spectrum before they close the books

mt2u77
04-13-2019, 03:29 AM
Here’s my priorities (in order) for a group ride bike:

1) good bottle cages (no bottle launching weight weenies allowed)
2) decent braking
3) functional drivetrain used correctly(no chain droppers, missed shifts)
4) no delicate proprietary crap that will break in the middle of nowhere
5) decent tires

6) bike that fits
7) bike that you can hold a line on easily
8) proper gearing for terrain
(end of list)
fancy wheels
high zoot frameset.

(non-see thru shorts would be 1b if we extend to wardrobe)

Basically, this is my way of saying any sensible road bike that won’t let you or your ride mates down will do. Then it’s about the rider.

Of your list, I honestly think all of them would be fine. Get the one that fits you, your fancy, and your budget. Assuming sensibilities first, reducing aero drag is the number one thing that makes a bike fast, and the biggest factor there is hiding behind someone else ;). Then, body position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martl
04-13-2019, 04:41 AM
The best bicycle to ride is the one your feet are on top of the pedals.

yep. No need to act as if one racing bike was a Ferrari Enzo, the other one was a Subaru STI and the third a F150.
Fun fact 1: Each and every racing bike can be what you want it to be,
and fun fact 2: you are the engine, and mostly the chassis, too.

oldpotatoe
04-13-2019, 07:36 AM
Need the geometry of an endurance frame for a proper fit but looking for bike for fast group rides.
Just like to hear about real world evaluations rather than magazine reviews.

Easy..Merckx MXLeader..:)

Kirk007
04-13-2019, 08:55 AM
the one that fits best will be the best one. When your contact points are set up right and the bike is balanced underneath you then the rest is largely irrelevant, including weight. Any big box bike like the ones you mentioned should have the rest of the bases covered, assuming they aren't doing some stupid cable routing that screws things up or hanging crappy parts on the bike.

If you don't have your position dialed then I second Joostx recommendation - get your name in Tom's cue and get a bike that fits and is balanced and built to do what you want.

I can't overemphasize how important fit and balance is. I have a cross bike that weighs just under 23 pounds but the fit and balance is perfect. It is more than up for the task for any ride on the road

weisan
04-15-2019, 06:15 AM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=236609&highlight=endurance

Black Dog
04-15-2019, 06:28 AM
the one that fits best will be the best one. When your contact points are set up right and the bike is balanced underneath you then the rest is largely irrelevant, including weight. Any big box bike like the ones you mentioned should have the rest of the bases covered, assuming they aren't doing some stupid cable routing that screws things up or hanging crappy parts on the bike.

If you don't have your position dialed then I second Joostx recommendation - get your name in Tom's cue and get a bike that fits and is balanced and built to do what you want.

I can't overemphasize how important fit and balance is. I have a cross bike that weighs just under 23 pounds but the fit and balance is perfect. It is more than up for the task for any ride on the road

This should have been the 1st and last response. Perfect.

Gummee
04-15-2019, 09:11 AM
I've had a couple endurance road bikes now. Sorta...

First was a Roubaix. 08/09? Rode like a magic carpet, but the HT was WAY too long for me.

Then there was a Boone. Yeah, it was a CX race bike, but the thing rode so nicely, I stuck road wheels on it and rode it all the time. I'd still have it if it was a disc frame.

Then there was a Cervelo. That was a shop demo. Owner ordered it a size big. Didn't fit right so I left it at the shop when I quit.

They all had upsides and downsides. The Cervelo was probably the 'raciest' of the 3, with the Roubaix on the 'most upright' end and the Boone in the middle.

IME it all comes down to fit. Get the fit right and everything else falls into place.

M

benb
04-15-2019, 09:29 AM
It's all about fit... you should be checking out the Roubaix and Domane too although I have to admit the more complex shock absorbing features of both of these frames in the latest iterations make them a little harder for me to consider as the complexity is so high.

Also consider why you are looking at these bikes from a fit standpoint. These bikes are really about two things. 1) Different frame features to try and make the bike more comfortable on longer rides and/or rougher roads. 2) Alternative geometry compared to the manufacturers more classic frame.

The frame features are straightforward, the fit is less so, consider which of these two reasons matches up with why you are looking at these bikes:

- You have more average proportions but want relatively high handlebars, level with the saddle, etc..
- You are longer legged/armed with less torso and are looking at these bikes for a racier fit and these bikes will work better because they are closer to what a custom bike would be.

E.x. I have a Domane for reason 2, long legs/arms with a shorter torso. I have a +7 stem on mine and still have about 6cm of drop right now. The shorter TT on these bikes gets my shoulder angles under better control even though I'm still running a decent amount of drop.

mktng
04-15-2019, 10:37 AM
I have a Cervelo C3. Really happy with it.

mistermo
04-15-2019, 04:35 PM
It's a Trek Domane from 2017 I think. Has rear elastomer but no front stuff. No Di2, no discs, 28mm tires and a Specialized CG-R seatpost. Probably 5K miles on the factory wheels without ever having to touch a spoke wrench. I have owned a zillion.2 bikes in the last 15 years. It does everything just right for me. Comfy, responsive and...wait for it...vertically compliant.

Trek is "boring". I rode one of these a couple years ago and was blown away as well. If I could've gotten one in the Team Geometry, I would have. It was indeed the "best" N=1 for a road oriented person a couple years ago.

Gummee
04-15-2019, 08:58 PM
It's all about fit... you should be checking out the Roubaix and Domane too although I have to admit the more complex shock absorbing features of both of these frames in the latest iterations make them a little harder for me to consider as the complexity is so high.

Also consider why you are looking at these bikes from a fit standpoint. These bikes are really about two things. 1) Different frame features to try and make the bike more comfortable on longer rides and/or rougher roads. 2) Alternative geometry compared to the manufacturers more classic frame.

The frame features are straightforward, the fit is less so, consider which of these two reasons matches up with why you are looking at these bikes:

- You have more average proportions but want relatively high handlebars, level with the saddle, etc..
- You are longer legged/armed with less torso and are looking at these bikes for a racier fit and these bikes will work better because they are closer to what a custom bike would be.

E.x. I have a Domane for reason 2, long legs/arms with a shorter torso. I have a +7 stem on mine and still have about 6cm of drop right now. The shorter TT on these bikes gets my shoulder angles under better control even though I'm still running a decent amount of drop.The Domane at least is pretty simple: coupla pivots and a coupla bearings. Flex accounts for the rest

M

robertbb
04-16-2019, 05:11 AM
It's really disappointing that high end frames with slightly relaxed fit only come in disc brake now.

Giant Defy, Canyon Endurace being two that come to mind along with those mentioned by OP.

charliedid
04-16-2019, 05:59 AM
It's really disappointing that high end frames with slightly relaxed fit only come in disc brake now.

Giant Defy, Canyon Endurace being two that come to mind along with those mentioned by OP.

If you are only considering major manufacturers then well that ship has sailed like it or not.

If you have the scratch for one of their "high end" offerings than you are in luck because there are still plenty of builders and smaller companies new and old who will make you just what you want.

Fear no brakes, disc or otherwise.

asindc
04-16-2019, 08:15 AM
Assuming that you will be doing a custom fit, I recommend a custom build if it is in your budget, or a good steel or titanium bike.

KonaSS
04-16-2019, 08:29 AM

Not that I need them on my road bike, but I don't think I would buy another bike without disc brakes at this point. Primarily cause I hate buying gear that becomes obsolete and loses all it's value due to market demand. I think we are at the tipping point of disc brake road bikes. At least it will allow me to swap wheels with my gravel and cross bikes.

benb
04-16-2019, 08:43 AM
The Domane at least is pretty simple: coupla pivots and a coupla bearings. Flex accounts for the rest

M

I have a 2016 Domane and yes that's all it is. The craziest thing with that ISOFlex thingy is the way it completely erases the vibration of "scarified" roads. I've never road anything like it other than a MTB.

The new ones are a bit more complex with the crazy shock absorbing headset.

Mine is really a fantastic bike. The previous two go fast bikes I had were a Serotta Concours and a BH G5... The Domane gives up nothing in go-fast for all it's shock absorption. It is an insanely good cornering/descending bike as well for me.

Nothing boring about it, if you need long and low you can get the Team version, if you need level bars you can get the regular one, or if you're an orangutan freak like me you can get the regular one and it fits like a race bike.

ScottW
04-16-2019, 01:48 PM
My n=1 road bike at the moment is a Ridley Helium. I bought it as a new/closeout built up with Ultegra, after several weeks of striking out looking for gently used bikes in my size on the local CL. The Helium is marketed as a light/climby type but it has more upright geo with less reach:stack and a taller head tube than you'd find on a similarly sized Supersix or TCR, even a bit taller than an Addict or Cervelo R3/R5, but IIRC not quite as relaxed as a Domane. The Helium is rim brake; their roughly similar disc model is the Fenix. "Vertical compliance" is mostly via thin flat/oval seat stays (discounting any claimed carbon layup sorcery) but it's comfy enough for me on 25s. Also looked at Canyon Endurace which would have cost about the same with disc brakes and 105. If you're set on disc and are buying new the Endurace seems priced competitively.

weisan
04-18-2019, 07:26 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/greg-van-avermaets-paris-roubaix-giant-defy-gallery/

Blown Reek
04-18-2019, 07:34 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/greg-van-avermaets-paris-roubaix-giant-defy-gallery/

Tubulars and disc brakes.

Mzilliox
04-18-2019, 08:34 AM
Festka One Classic:bike: