PDA

View Full Version : The running has got to be helping

saab2000
12-01-2006, 05:35 PM
The past two days I have had pretty good, but short rides here in Virginia Beach. They were fairly intense at times and I had no particular trouble keeping up.

Given that I have been riding about twice a week for a total of maybe 75 miles per week this is making me happy.

I have been running 3-4 days per week, 25-40 minutes per run. It must be helping with at least the aerobic fitness because I can't imagine riding even a little bit well if I were only riding twice a week.

BTW - Today was scary. Warm enough for shorts and all the pasty and hairy legs which are normally covered by tights at this time of year were not pretty. Mine were horrible. But it was nice to ride in shorts on December 1. Unbelievable.

J.Greene
12-01-2006, 05:41 PM

yeehawfactor
12-01-2006, 07:53 PM
ran today for the first time in over a year and a half. the 1.25 slow treadmill miles were fine. the aftermath was not.

saab2000
12-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Every year when I re-start running it is very short. 1 mile. Max.

Of course, now that I seem to have less and less time to ride there is more and more running and I ran through the summer sort of this year.

Starting slow lessens the aftermath issues. Today I whipped off three miles like it was nothing. It is not even really a shuffle anymore. Almost like really jogging. I have been doing 5 mile runs on my trips.

TAW
12-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Along with some limited racing, I do some duathlons and some running races. I hate running, but it seems to me that it gets you in shape faster and better than riding. Definitely seems to help the cardio. The only nice thing about running is that it's warmer in the winter than riding. My face can only take so much cold wind. One long downhill and I'm ready to quit.

dekindy
12-02-2006, 10:03 PM
In may just be me, but I never found running to help my biking or vice versa. The only thing that ever seemed to help my cycling was the stair climber. I never researched why it was true, but it seemed to help my cycling a lot.

yeehawfactor
12-03-2006, 08:23 AM
two runs in two days. the first was the 1.25 mile run on the treadmill, then yesterday i ran about a mile and a half easy outside. i figure i probably shouldn't run for a few days now. running is easier than i remember it-perhaps because bike riding has taught me how to exert myself a bit better. in running i used to just start running, then i'd blow up and have to stop. yeah.