PDA

View Full Version : WaveCel helmet - first impression

mcteague
04-12-2019, 07:38 AM
Well, I used my REI dividend, along with the 20% sale, to get a Bontrager Spector helmet. I ordered it online in a size medium, same as I always get in a Giro. I have ridden Giros ever since the initial Prolight. They just seem to fit best.

Anyway, out of the box you can feel it weighs more. But, once on my head I can't say I noticed it. The buckle is interesting, it uses a locating pin and magnet arrangement that seems goofy at first but works fine once you get used to it.

As others have said, the WaveCel material is very stiff. While I could not feel it on my head, I really do think it could cut into your scalp upon impact, especially if you lack hair on top, as I do. Also, the WaveCel material stops about an inch or so above the bottom of the helmet. I wonder what happens if you hit your head anywhere other than the top? My guess is the new material does little good then. It would be interesting to see where the most common point of impact is during bike crashes.

I played with a fan to see how much air I could feel and swapped back and forth with my Giro Synthe. The Giro seemed better but not by a huge amount. Not a real hot weather test but you work with what you have.

Unfortunately, the helmet seemed to put two pressure points on the front of my head as soon as I turned the BOA knob. Not terrible but I know that, over time, it would be a problem. Giros fit my head perfectly so I took the Bontrager back to REI. I didn't bother riding it as I knew the fit was not right and wanted it to be in pristine condition for the return.

All in all, seems like a nice design and the build quality is good. As usual, fit will tell if it works for you.

Tim

OtayBW
04-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Thanks! But how did it look??? :rolleyes: :hello:

Elefantino
04-12-2019, 08:51 AM
I wonder how the plastic will feel when it's hot. Smith helmets, for example, felt like an oven on my head when it's >90°.

As a comparo, the Giro Aether moves air like no helmet I've ever worn.

R3awak3n
04-12-2019, 09:12 AM
Thanks! But how did it look??? :rolleyes: :hello:

I tried my buddys and was very comfortable... and also looked great.

They definitely look much better in person, I say looks as good as any other helmet I have ever seen.

As far as moving air through, I really never complained about that with any helmet I have ever had so I am sure to me this is fine.

mtechnica
04-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Is the 20% off sale still going?

unterhausen
04-12-2019, 10:18 AM
I have smacked the side of my head just as often as the top. It actually seems more likely with my current riding.

I'm curious how this helmet would do against the truck running light I hit with the top of my helmet. My helmet split in half, but I was fine.

I mostly wear a helmet because of the time I got 26 stitches in the back of my head. That was no fun, and they put you in a bed and wake you up every 2 hours to see if you died.

Bentley
04-12-2019, 10:29 AM
I am sure that the material they have is an advancement, but just like all advancements the first generation products generally are still "experimental". Unlike the MIPS, which has significant amount of testing, this is a material that clearly offers what appears to be more "energy absorption" but that is only part of the job a helmet performs, so it would be interesting to see if TREK licenses the material to others so that a helmet with MIPS and this material could be delivered to market so that the consumer could derive benefit from both technologies.

yinzerniner
04-12-2019, 10:42 AM
The OPs assessment mirror mine almost to a T. Had a chance to try on the entire line at the Trek store and came away more impressed than after the initial rollout and online feature rundowns from the major publications.

The material does seem rather sharp on the inside and could be somewhat scratchy for riders with short or no hair, but I don't see it causing pressure cuts upon impact as the material is designed to compress and shear upon impact.

As for the weight, it's noticeable when compared to lighter helmets side by side but not absurdly so, and since the wavecell wraps around the helmet is balanced and not top heavy. When on the head the weight difference isn't noticeable because of the balance.

Did a short ride with the helmet and any airflow concerns were alleviated. If anything the wavecell design channels more air to the top of the skull since all the small channels "catch" the air and direct it to your skull. Would be interesting to see how much of an aero impact that has for those solely in the super fast camp.

The fit for my more oval shaped head was near spot on. Not quite as perfect as Specialized but really close - then again didn't really get into the more minute adjustments so maybe could've gotten it to for even better. Don't know how customizable the fit is with different padding and inserts though, so it might be more user dependent vs others that have multiple figment options included.

IMO the lower spec road helmet is the big winner. The wavecell in the model I tried was dark grey so not as intrusive aesthetics wise, and the shape isn't as bolbous looking as the top spec. At the $120 or so price point it seems like a solid investment for an everyday helmet since the VA Tech testing rated it highly, and the material is designed to withstand multiple impacts unlike other EVA mile helmets.

R3awak3n
04-12-2019, 10:50 AM
The OPs assessment mirror mine almost to a T. Had a chance to try on the entire line at the Trek store and came away more impressed than after the initial rollout and online feature rundowns from the major publications.

The material does seem rather sharp on the inside and could be somewhat scratchy for riders with short or no hair, but I don't see it causing pressure cuts upon impact as the material is designed to compress and shear upon impact.

As for the weight, it's noticeable when compared to lighter helmets side by side but not absurdly so, and since the wavecell wraps around the helmet is balanced and not top heavy. When on the head the weight difference isn't noticeable because of the balance.

Did a short ride with the helmet and any airflow concerns were alleviated. If anything the wavecell design channels more air to the top of the skull since all the small channels "catch" the air and direct it to your skull. Would be interesting to see how much of an aero impact that has for those solely in the super fast camp.

The fit for my more oval shaped head was near spot on. Not quite as perfect as Specialized but really close - then again didn't really get into the more minute adjustments so maybe could've gotten it to for even better. Don't know how customizable the fit is with different padding and inserts though, so it might be more user dependent vs others that have multiple figment options included.

IMO the lower spec road helmet is the big winner. The wavecell in the model I tried was dark grey so not as intrusive aesthetics wise, and the shape isn't as bolbous looking as the top spec. At the $120 or so price point it seems like a solid investment for an everyday helmet since the VA Tech testing rated it highly, and the material is designed to withstand multiple impacts unlike other EVA mile helmets.

yes, the cheap helmet is definitely the one to go with, the green wavecell makes the higher end helmet look a lot worst but the dark gray on the cheaper helmet is nice.... Also according to bortrager they are the same weight? So I guess its all about aero?

I bet eventually they will have different color wavecels per helmets and you can pick and choose.

mtechnica
04-12-2019, 11:06 AM
Well I broke down and ordered one without trying it on lol :banana:

redir
04-12-2019, 01:07 PM
I don't like the fact that it weighs more. I am already getting neck pain from the weight of the helmet I have now and that one is pretty light. I also don't like the idea that I can't reach a finger in there to scratch my itchin head lol.

yinzerniner
04-12-2019, 01:38 PM
I don't like the fact that it weighs more. I am already getting neck pain from the weight of the helmet I have now and that one is pretty light. I also don't like the idea that I can't reach a finger in there to scratch my itchin head lol.

Honest question - how does one get neck pain from an helmet that weighs less than a head of wet medium-length hair? Was it an old injury that never healed correctly, or simply from years of use and strain?

Seems like quite the burden to the hobby if you can't get adequate protection without further strain.

redir
04-12-2019, 01:58 PM
Honest question - how does one get neck pain from an helmet that weighs less than a head of wet medium-length hair? Was it an old injury that never healed correctly, or simply from years of use and strain?

Seems like quite the burden to the hobby if you can't get adequate protection without further strain.

Well when I don't wear a helmet I don't get the same problem so I am assuming that is what it is but I don't know. It's not crippling mind you but it's something I've noticed as I am getting on in years.

Calnago
04-12-2019, 02:04 PM
I tried one on, that’s as far as I got. Wrong shape for me. Fits more oval type head I think, as a previous poster mentioned. So, if a Specialized, Rudy Project type helmet fits you, then his could too perhaps. I’ve always had Giro, so the more round shape, like Bell as well. But with all the hype, and since I happened to be next to one the day after it released I at least had to try it on. It was at a Trek Store and they were selling like hot cakes. The month long pre marketing greatest thing in 30 years ad campaign clearly was paying dividends. Hmmm...

mtechnica
04-12-2019, 02:08 PM
The possibility of it maybe being safer was enough to sell me on one, and I needed a new helmet. Hopefully I never find out how effective it is, that said I’ve cracked two different giros so far by landing on them :(

Veloo
04-12-2019, 02:21 PM
The buckle sounds like the ones used on the Las Victory helmet.

benb
04-12-2019, 02:30 PM
That's not a new buckle some bontrager helmets already had it before Wavecel.

My son has a Bontrager Youth helmet from last year and it has that magnetic clasp. It seems fine but not necessarily better. It will last longer, but then I don't think I've ever broken a clasp.

I wouldn't mind if they used a motorcycle D-ring clasp.. those seem better to me than any bike helmet design I've ever used. The D-ring setup gets you a really perfect fit every time and also deals well with the slack so it's not blowing around in the wind.

If these Wavecel helmets are fairly oval they might fit me well.

Mark McM
04-12-2019, 03:41 PM
WaveCel helmet - first impressions

While I could not feel it on my head, I really do think it could cut into your scalp upon impact, especially if you lack hair on top, as I do.

I see what you did there!

mcteague
04-12-2019, 04:08 PM
I see what you did there!

King of unintended humor! :banana:

Tim

mtechnica
04-16-2019, 03:31 PM
One ride in with the wave cell. It is larger and sits lower on my head than my other helmets. So far is seems comfortable, it breathes OK but not great. I’m slightly concerned about heat this summer. It is heavier than my other helmets. Hopefully I don’t have to find out how it compares in a crash.

19wisconsin64
04-16-2019, 06:09 PM
The WaveCell fits a little on the small on my head, so the Small/Medium or Medium size I usually wear were too big-the small fits me perfectly.

On the the road the helmet is comfortable, and seems to do a great job of keeping the wind noise down. Have not had the chance to ride in the heat, but generally don't ride when it's either too hot or mid-day sunny. Personally thought the helmet was light enough, as the weight was evenly distributed on my head due to the proper fit.

Thanks to Trek / Bontrager for making a safer helmet.... much appreciated! Hopefully the technology can be shared so that other sports helmet manufacturers can continue the important work of lowering the chances of head injuries.