PDA

View Full Version : Ti - From Satin to Brushed

jckid
12-01-2006, 05:19 PM
You may have seen my other thread that mentions the fact that I am considering a Litespeed Pisgah and a Dean Colonel. One thing I liked about the Dean is that (I thought) the finish was brushed (shiny), wereas the Litespeed was satin (matte). Well it turns out that the Dean is satin too. Bummer. I really like the brushed finish a lot better. The frame that Dean has is already built and ready to go. When I told them that I really wanted the shiny finish, they said no problem that they could brush it out for me. Well that sounds great, BUT I thought I read on this forum that you cannot make a matte frame shiny after the fact (that it would weaken the frame or something). Please help me make an informed decision here. I am really tempted to go for this frame, but I'm not too sure about having them brush the frame.

Ahneida Ride
12-01-2006, 06:52 PM
I recall reading that conjecture also.
Matte can't go to brushed. :confused:

But I do know that some elbo grease and some metal polish will
take up Ti a notch or two.

A Dremel buffer with Mothers Metal Polish can take Ti up to near Chrome.

jckid
12-01-2006, 08:36 PM
I just found the following information on the Dean website:

"DEAN Titanium frames can be finished two different ways, brushed or satin. Frames come satin unless otherwise specified, then DEAN can hand brush your frame for an additional charge."

I guess it answers my question. It sounds like their normal procedure is to brush the frame after it is made. Maybe the fact that it is done by hand and not machine makes a difference??? Maybe what I remember reading is that satin frames cannot be machine polished???

Blastinbob
12-01-2006, 08:43 PM
You can take matte to brushed with scotchbrite pads, but it sounds like you want a polished finish?