PDA

View Full Version : Airplane observations

Irishgirl
04-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Sitting at the airport today waiting to catch my early flight...missing my workout today and probably tomorrow too...I had this thought ...what if planes were equipped with stationary workout equipment? what kind of seat could be used to accommodate safety standards? and how much would I pay for access?

Most of the time I catch up on reading, work offline, watch a movie (air travel seems to be the perfect place) and also lucky enough to be one of those people that can sleep on a plane.

Then got on the plane squeezed into my window seat in the back of the plane, arm wrestled for a sliver of armrest and vowed to book earlier next time for a better seat selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bentley
04-11-2019, 12:35 PM
I do know that the CEO of Boeing had a special “locker” built so that he can travel with his bike on a BBJ

Way better than disassembling and packing

Ray

GregL
04-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Two books I have read describe LBJ using an exercise bike aboard Air Force One:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Little-Stories-White-House/dp/1402273703

https://www.amazon.com/Flying-White-House-Story-Force/dp/0553134612

Greg

GonaSovereign
04-11-2019, 01:18 PM
As a regular transcontinental flyer (on a plane right now, coincidentally) I've often thought of how amazing it would be if I could do a trainer session mid flight. Only me though - too sweaty and smelly if everyone does it.

Jaybee
04-11-2019, 01:25 PM
As a regular transcontinental flyer (on a plane right now, coincidentally) I've often thought of how amazing it would be if I could do a trainer session mid flight. Only me though - too sweaty and smelly if everyone does it.

C'mon, what's wrong with a Soul-Cycle collaboration where everyone has to sit around in their workout clothes in a metal tube for 2 hours afterwards?

batman1425
04-11-2019, 01:28 PM
I do know that the CEO of Boeing had a special “locker” built so that he can travel with his bike on a BBJ

Way better than disassembling and packing

Ray

Almost seems comical when you think about how much interior space there is in a BBJ that it needs a "locker" to avoid having to disassemble it. You could give it is own row. Or 3.

GregL
04-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Almost seems comical when you think about how much interior space there is in a BBJ that it needs a "locker" to avoid having to disassemble it. You could give it is own row. Or 3.
It's not about the space, it's about protecting the occupants of the plane in event of a crash. It's been a long time, but I believe that cargo nets or bulkhead are required to be capable of restraining the cargo up to a 9G loading. Your 20lb. bike has to be restrained by a barrier that can withstand 180lbs.

Greg

batman1425
04-11-2019, 01:47 PM
It's not about the space, it's about protecting the occupants of the plane in event of a crash. It's been a long time, but I believe that cargo nets or bulkhead are required to be capable of restraining the cargo up to a 9G loading. Your 20lb. bike has to be restrained by a barrier that can withstand 180lbs.

Greg

Cool, didn't know that.

Gsinill
04-11-2019, 01:55 PM
Honestly, rather than adding workout capabilities on any flight, I'd rather not have to worry whether the guy that will sit next to me is 6' and 300 lbs.
It's ALL about space!

livingminimal
04-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Honestly, rather than adding workout capabilities on any flight, I'd rather not have to worry whether the guy that will sit next to me is 6' and 300 lbs.
It's ALL about space!

"the guy" you're talking about is probably a whole lot more sensitive to his size on the plane than you are.

Irishgirl
04-11-2019, 02:09 PM

It's ALL about space!

And would add showered and clean clothes!

Was on a flight where the guy on the end was small build and extremely thin, the middle seat guy was triple extended on his seatbelt...pretty sure he was greased in...I was sitting in the window...after three medium size Starbucks and a large bottle of water (flight delayed) of course there was a potty break in my future...tippled buckle guy was snoring and I suspect dreaming of cheeseburgers and chocolate cakes - definitely needed an air horn to wake him up...decided I could climb over his lap going unnoticed....(bad decisions when full bladders are involved) there must have been a lull in his dreams ( maybe he was waiting for the ketchup) and wakes up to a random person straddling him...

Ahh airplane adventures....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gsinill
04-11-2019, 02:20 PM
"the guy" you're talking about is probably a whole lot more sensitive to his size on the plane than you are.

Probably.

It's not about "the guy", but airlines sacrificing minimal comfort for increased profit.

Mark McM
04-11-2019, 02:26 PM
Probably.

It's not about "the guy", but airlines sacrificing minimal comfort for increased profit.

We only have ourselves to blame.

When most passengers book flights based solely on the cheapest fares, they shouldn't be surprised by lack of comfort on the flight.

William
04-11-2019, 02:27 PM

I'm "That guy", almost. Half a foot taller and not quite at that weight. Eh, it is what it is. The real fun is when two big people end up sitting next to each other. On one flight two behemoths ended up next to each other, me bigger, the other heavier. The battle that raged for that single arm rest was epic!!!!:banana:

W.
In actuality I staked the claim and never gave it back...though he tried.;)

William
04-11-2019, 02:30 PM
We only have ourselves to blame.

When most passengers book flights based solely on the cheapest fares, they shouldn't be surprised by lack of comfort on the flight.

Though you are not entirely wrong, the airlines are also to blame by trying to squeeze in as many seats as possible on the plane. As such, those of us that live on the far side of the bell curve tend to get squeezed the most.

W.

Red Tornado
04-11-2019, 02:32 PM
I typically book based on departure/arrival first, then look at the prices within that "window". Sometimes I will cough up a little extra for exit row or other preferred seating, especially if traveling with the wife. Don't always feel great about doing it, but prefer to have my in-transit experience as convenient and comfortable as I can reasonably afford.
Pretty sure I'm in the minority & realize a lot of folk do not have this option.
Still, the way they have turned airplanes into flying cattle cars makes me SMH.

Gsinill
04-11-2019, 02:33 PM
We only have ourselves to blame...

Yep, with 220 at 5'11", I have to take some blame too ;)

GregL
04-11-2019, 02:36 PM
I'm "That guy", almost. Half a foot taller and not quite at that weight. Eh, it is what it is. The real fun is when two big people end up sitting next to each other. On one flight two behemoths ended up next to each other, me bigger, the other heavier. The battle that raged for that single arm rest was epic!!!!:banana:
It's not the height, it's the width that's tough! I'm only 6' tall, but have broad shoulders. A few years ago, I was boarding a flight from DFW to CLT. When I got to my (middle) seat, I found the passengers in the aisle and window seats were of similar proportions. I laughed out loud and said "Sorry guys, another broad-shouldered passenger here to ruin your day!" The ice breaker worked and we all laughed our way to Charlotte!

Greg

donevwil
04-11-2019, 02:36 PM

W.

Oh and how many bruises have I sustained from full contact food or drink carts when I was in an isle seat and lost the arm rest battle. Ugh, I hate flying.

livingminimal
04-11-2019, 02:39 PM

W.

I am as broad as a small French sedan, so I get it. My ass and waist fit fine in any seat, my shoulders constantly run into drink carts and become great pillows for the person next to me. and of course that means my arms are out wider and further from my body as well. Don't even get me started on leg length/leg room. Seat Guru is my best friend in the whole world.

But in speaking about people who already live their lives constantly feeling bad about their weight and size and public perception, flying is pure hell for them. I try to be friendly and cut them a break. It's just flying. It'll be over. Everyone's already miserable to some degree, those folks even more so.

GregL
04-11-2019, 02:40 PM
Oh and how many bruises have I sustained from full contact food or drink carts when I was in an isle seat and lost the arm rest battle. Ugh, I hate flying.
My second-worst aisle seat experience was a red-eye from Honolulu to Chicago. Many of the passengers were elderly and not too steady on their feet. As they made their way to the lavatory down the dark aisle, they all seemed to grasp the seat headrests for stability. All night long, my attempts at sleep were thwarted by the shaking of my seat!

Greg

William
04-11-2019, 02:46 PM
It's not the height, it's the width that's tough! I'm only 6' tall, but have broad shoulders. A few years ago, I was boarding a flight from DFW to CLT. When I got to my (middle) seat, I found the passengers in the aisle and window seats were of similar proportions. I laughed out loud and said "Sorry guys, another broad-shouldered passenger here to ruin your day!" The ice breaker worked and we all laughed our way to Charlotte!

Greg

I would have been a lot more amenable had he just asked. I was seated first, and when he showed up he actually tried to shove my arm off the rest. From that point forward my arm was glued.

The height (leg length) is an issue for me, and the person sitting in front of me. If they try to recline their seat all they end up doing is hitting my knees. They can't figure out why the seat won't recline so they start to try and force it...at which point I have to lean forward and let them know it's not broken, those are my knees.

W.

C40_guy
04-11-2019, 02:58 PM
... the middle seat guy ... wakes up to a random person straddling him...

He probably posted about the experience on Flyertalk!

...and asked for the same seat (and seatmates) on his return flight...

T-Crush
04-11-2019, 03:47 PM
I can be KOM for the RAAM segment on Strava!

Mark McM
04-11-2019, 04:12 PM
If an airline provided seating with 30% more space, but charged fares 30% higher, would you pay for it? Do you think enough passengers would be willing to pay the higher fares to make it worthwhile for airlines to configure aircraft cabins for this option?

I would prefer not buy road disc brakes and electronic shifting systems. I have complained that when other people choose to buy these components, it affects the availability of rim brake and mechanical shifting components, and therefore the buying habits of others effects me. But my complaints have largely been discounted. Well guess what - here's a case that proves my point: The majority of the air travelling public has decided to chose low fares over roomy seating, and that choice has affected those who would prefer roomier seating. So yes, your spending choice affects others, and the spending choices of others affects you.

C40_guy
04-11-2019, 04:31 PM
If an airline provided seating with 30% more space, but charged fares 30% higher, would you pay for it? Do you think enough passengers would be willing to pay the higher fares to make it worthwhile for airlines to configure aircraft cabins for this option?

They do...and I do. For instance, I have an upcoming trip - $700 RT airfare BOS-LAX on JB. $202 additional (both ways) for "even more space." Spacewise, almost what coach was 10 years ago.

When I was flying more, i'd typically upgrade to FC using points or coupons. I had good status on AA, which helped a lot. My Lifetime Plat is worth zip now. These days I find that paying in advance to move up to the Economy or Coach Plus on JB or Delta is the most effective. It's barely adequate, and I'm not a big guy.

unterhausen
04-11-2019, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure it's really our buying choices, the airlines are experts at filling flights now. To the point of canceling if they can fill a flight. So they need more seats to get away with that

HenryA
04-11-2019, 06:20 PM
I would have been a lot more amenable had he just asked. I was seated first, and when he showed up he actually tried to shove my arm off the rest. From that point forward my arm was glued.

The height (leg length) is an issue for me, and the person sitting in front of me. If they try to recline their seat all they end up doing is hitting my knees. They can't figure out why the seat won't recline so they start to try and force it...at which point I have to lean forward and let them know it's not broken, those are my knees.

W.

Gawdddd how I despise this. I think I hit 6 feet in the seventh grade and just have not fit many places since.

OtayBW
04-11-2019, 06:42 PM
If an airline provided seating with 30% more space, but charged fares 30% higher, would you pay for it? Do you think enough passengers would be willing to pay the higher fares to make it worthwhile for airlines to configure aircraft cabins for this option?30% - No. 10% - Yes. I was on a flight Monday where I upgraded to the 'Comfort Class' - which is essentially the same as the main cabin, but with 3 in more pitch - for ~10% of the cost of the ticket, or, in this case, an extra ~$60.00. Would I spend ~$200.00 for that priviledge? Doubtful. Possible on a long international flight, but that would be about it for me.

Spaghetti Legs
04-11-2019, 07:01 PM
Just a few days ago, as I had my 6’2” frame scrunched in a coach seat on a transcontinental red eye trying to sleep, I ruminated on a seat that could extend fully at about a 45 -60 degree angle allowing the passenger to stretch out completely. I figured something like that would not play well with emergency egress requirements.

peanutgallery
04-11-2019, 10:24 PM
Did BWI to SLC last week and I happened to be in an aisle seat in the last row. It seemed like the same 3 people must have gone to the bathroom at least a dozen times each. It was a highway and space is tight back in steerage class.
Torture as I was singing along to "A Star is Born" and I had taken my shoes and socks off in an attempt to stay in key...I found the foot traffic very distracting:)

People are nuts, stick 160 of them in a metal tube for 4 hours and things will get weird. But I'll take it, the skiing was a billion times better than anything on the east coast this winter. Means to an end, all about how much you want to suffer

unterhausen
04-12-2019, 06:37 AM
I didn't really press him about it, but my son said Utah was his second choice for grad school. And I think it was because they took him skiing during his visit. But he's going to UCSD instead.

OtayBW
04-12-2019, 07:15 AM
Did BWI to SLC last week and I happened to be in an aisle seat in the last row. It seemed like the same 3 people must have gone to the bathroom at least a dozen times each. It was a highway and space is tight back in steerage class.
Torture as I was singing along to "A Star is Born" and I had taken my shoes and socks off in an attempt to stay in key...I found the foot traffic very distracting:)

People are nuts, stick 160 of them in a metal tube for 4 hours and things will get weird. But I'll take it, the skiing was a billion times better than anything on the east coast this winter. Means to an end, all about how much you want to sufferI guess Delta recently (?) changed their tier levels where steerage class passengers cannot choose their seats. They're assigned to you only after check-in. That kind of sucks.

Red Tornado
04-12-2019, 09:00 AM
I guess Delta recently (?) changed their tier levels where steerage class passengers cannot choose their seats. They're assigned to you only after check-in. That kind of sucks.

IIRC that's "basic economy" or something along that line. Lowest class on the plane. Get what you pay for.......

Red Tornado
04-12-2019, 09:04 AM
30% - No. 10% - Yes. I was on a flight Monday where I upgraded to the 'Comfort Class' - which is essentially the same as the main cabin, but with 3 in more pitch - for ~10% of the cost of the ticket, or, in this case, an extra ~$60.00. Would I spend ~$200.00 for that priviledge? Doubtful. Possible on a long international flight, but that would be about it for me.

I'm thinking along the same lines. Extra 10%, maybe up to 15% for me, but no higher. For domestic.

International (off the continent) is a different story. Wife & I are flying across an ocean this summer, and I did pay a few hundred extra for preferred seating, but it's a 10 hour flight so......

peanutgallery
04-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Correct. I flew Basic 3 or something like that on Delta

Free movies and what not on the seatback

IIRC that's "basic economy" or something along that line. Lowest class on the plane. Get what you pay for.......

josephr
04-12-2019, 08:44 PM
I can only imagine the stench that would come from all the the post-workout sweaty people and how all of that would soak into the seats and carpet. :no: