PDA

View Full Version : I AM Dave Stoller

Hawker
04-11-2019, 08:48 AM
Gorgeous day in GA with low 33% humidity....which is very rare indeed. I'm out in the country and come up to a four way stop. To my right is a very large tractor trailer and I motion with my head that he should go before me. He nods back and turns right as I cross the intersection and fall behind him. Almost immediately he puts on his brakes and slows down a bit like he's waiting for me to catch up...so I do. He then slowly speeds up and for about 300 yards I'm directly behind him....exactly like that scene from Breaking Away. It occurs to me immediately that for a very sort time....I am Dave Stoller. :)

Unfortunately, I was not able to find the Sorority Dorms.

2LeftCleats
04-11-2019, 09:33 AM
Women’s Little 500 is tomorrow; men’s Saturday.

Hawker
04-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Women’s Little 500 is tomorrow; men’s Saturday.

Ha, cool! Thanks for the reminder. I really do hope to someday ride around Bloomington where the movie was shot. I understand that in prior years the local cycling club actually offered a Breaking Away ride that hit many of the landmarks in the movie. I'm just a kid at heart I guess.

oldpotatoe
04-11-2019, 09:40 AM
:)

unterhausen
04-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Last time I drafted a truck, it was an asphalt truck and there was a tray of molten asphalt at exactly face plant level. I backed off pretty quickly.

Used to do this a lot in Wisconsin. This was before the days of 53-11, that would have been nice a couple of times.

Blue Jays
04-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Love drafting big trucks on known streets so potholes are not problematic. :banana:

redir
04-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Ha! That's great. I remember once bombing down a mountain here in virginia and a car pulled up next to me and that passenger was using his fingers to as a counter to show me how fast I was going.

Lot's of people have fond memories of that movie.

cinco
04-11-2019, 01:00 PM
Love drafting big trucks on known streets so potholes are not problematic. :banana:

This. Ruined a PAIR of rims doing this, but stayed upright. I don't draft trucks anymore.

Andy in Houston

Joxster
04-11-2019, 01:55 PM
I used to do all my sprint training behind trucks, sit behind the truck and then out into the wind at 60mph and sprint as soon as I start to lose the truck nip back in and recover. I would do this over a 15 mile stretch, then pick up a truck going the other way and start over. I could get in three trips before blowing.

paredown
04-11-2019, 03:05 PM
I used to do all my sprint training behind trucks, sit behind the truck and then out into the wind at 60mph and sprint as soon as I start to lose the truck nip back in and recover. I would do this over a 15 mile stretch, then pick up a truck going the other way and start over. I could get in three trips before blowing.

Yes! Truck training,our coach called it.

His only advice--pick trucks with flat backs. (Even though car carriers have a wonderful draft--it's messy if you hit them....)

(Weirdly though, my Falcon San Remo ~1972 shipped with a rare 53 Campy front--it actually came in handy in a time trial once, when we had a massive tail wind...)

homagesilkhope
04-11-2019, 09:13 PM
Used to do this a lot in Wisconsin. This was before the days of 53-11, that would have been nice a couple of times.

Dave did it in the small ring ;)

unterhausen
04-12-2019, 06:42 AM
And there are people that were involved with that movie that insist he was going 60. :rolleyes:

soulspinner
04-12-2019, 06:44 AM
Gorgeous day in GA with low 33% humidity....which is very rare indeed. I'm out in the country and come up to a four way stop. To my right is a very large tractor trailer and I motion with my head that he should go before me. He nods back and turns right as I cross the intersection and fall behind him. Almost immediately he puts on his brakes and slows down a bit like he's waiting for me to catch up...so I do. He then slowly speeds up and for about 300 yards I'm directly behind him....exactly like that scene from Breaking Away. It occurs to me immediately that for a very sort time....I am Dave Stoller. :)

Unfortunately, I was not able to find the Sorority Dorms.

:p

oldpotatoe
04-12-2019, 06:54 AM
And there are people that were involved with that movie that insist he was going 60. :rolleyes:

C'mon, it was a movie and not even a 'cycling' movie. A movie about coming of age, honesty, missed and future opportunities, parents love of their children..etc..it just happened to have 'bikes' in it.

https://vimeo.com/50872582

Dave B
04-12-2019, 07:13 AM
Growing up most of my life on B-Town it truly is an amazing thing. IN the 80's and 90's the parties were legendary then they cracked down, now they are just pretty good.

But the race has become a year round training event and truly is something to behold. The bikes they race on are bare bones and nothing beats a cinder crit with coaster brakes.

The wet track is going to suck and be slow, not to mention any crashes, which typically happens in the first 20 laps will be brutal.