PDA

View Full Version : Speedvagen Detroit Agate

timenoway
04-11-2019, 04:47 AM
Finally got this sweet bike from Ryun and put it together. Swapped the astral wheels out for these R SYS SLR for the looks and weight. Now I'm having a crisis with the stem - part of me want to have something lower and possibly longer, part of me want to keep this original stem on there since it completes the look.

What do you guys think? I'm thinking along the line of an Extralite -12 120 stem. Stealth black of course...

fa63
04-11-2019, 05:04 AM
That is a sweet bike indeed, but it makes no sense to keep the stem if it doesn't give you the right fit. Alternatively, you could look into a handlebar with longer reach and a deeper / more classic drop (to get you lower).

charliedid
04-11-2019, 05:36 AM
Tap into the part of you that wants the stem that fits.

sailorboy
04-11-2019, 05:45 AM
Great bike. I can't tell from that photo how 'custom' the paint is on the stem, but I'd bet if you contacted Sacha and co. they would be willing to paint something similar in the size you need. Not that it would be cheap or anything but....

uber
04-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Agree! Find the stem that is perfect for your bike and have Vanilla paint it to match your bike. That paint process can take a long time.

Climb01742
04-11-2019, 09:15 AM
The bikes we love most are the ones that fit us. Find the stem that nails your best fit then see if a black stem really bugs you visually. My guess is it might not. The blacks bits actually set the paint off nicely, to my eye anyway. Whatever stem, enjoy that puppy!

Clean39T
04-11-2019, 09:31 AM
I think your saddle isn't level and your bars aren't rotated properly. Before even thinking about the stem, go get a decent bike fit. Your saddle may go back or forward, you may need narrower or wider bars, etc. Both of which affect stem length. And if after that, you need more reach/drop, get traditional bend bars...

All of those options are cheaper and more useful than just getting a new stem and having it painted straight off.

Gorgeous bikah by the way [emoji481]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

coreyaugustus
04-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Maybe just the angle of the photo, but it looks like the bars are rotated back and the stem is angled up. Maybe try flipping the stem and rolling those bars forward a touch may give you the extra long/low you need?

Otherwise, like Clean said, tinker with fit before going all out. That's what my cheap nature tells me to do.

I do like the wheel choice though. Noice.

Matthew
04-11-2019, 10:33 AM
Very cool bike. Is Detroit Agate the name of the paint scheme? Just curious being a Michigander.

Pegoready
04-11-2019, 11:14 AM
Get a stem that fits, keep that one for when you sell the bike or age into it, whatever happens first.

denapista
04-11-2019, 11:21 AM
I went to a 110mm -12 on my (58cm) Speedvagen and it was heaven sent!
I'm 6'2 with long arms, short torso. My Speedvagen came with a 120mm -/+ 6 degree painted to match stem.

Granted my SV fits like hand in glove, I've been riding shorter reach bikes with 56-56.5cm Top Tubes with a 120mm stem. Just feels like a snappier all around geo to me I guess.

Getting SV to paint a stem for you may or may not happen. I emailed for a set of hubs to be painted and was informed they only paint hubs with a wheelset purchased with bike. It helps if you know someone inside of Vanilla to see if they'll make an exception. They're super cool over there. I have a set of DT190 hubs I wanted painted in the polka dot scheme to lace to FSE 45 tubular hoops. Some splash on my bikes.

jtbadge
04-11-2019, 12:08 PM
Maybe just the angle of the photo, but it looks like the bars are rotated back and the stem is angled up. Maybe try flipping the stem and rolling those bars forward a touch may give you the extra long/low you need?

Otherwise, like Clean said, tinker with fit before going all out. That's what my cheap nature tells me to do.

I do like the wheel choice though. Noice.

I agree, looks like the stem is installed in the 'rise' position. Flipping it over may help lower/lengthen your position a touch.

pdmtong
04-11-2019, 02:21 PM
yes, flip the stem down.

Depending on your sensitivity to setback and clamp in the middle of the rails aesthetic, you could replace the topper with a ritchey setback over changing the stem. that way the primary agate painted area in the front part of the triangle is best preserved.

another way you might pick up 5mm in the front is to use a bar with different reach

denapista
04-11-2019, 03:00 PM
yes, flip the stem down.

Depending on your sensitivity to setback and clamp in the middle of the rails aesthetic, you could replace the topper with a ritchey setback over changing the stem. that way the primary agate painted area in the front part of the triangle is best preserved.

another way you might pick up 5mm in the front is to use a bar with different reach

I never knew it was that easy to swap from an Enve topper to Ritchey, as I recall SV milling the post to fit either one specifically..

I have an email from SV regarding the diameter needed to accommodate the Enve topper, and it's not a common size at all.. Enve makes those toppers for SV.

jtbadge
04-11-2019, 03:05 PM
Don't use saddle setback to adjust reach - you're going to have a bad time. Saddle position needs to be set based on your pedaling mechanics, then adjust reach with bar and stem.

pdmtong
04-11-2019, 05:49 PM
I never knew it was that easy to swap from an Enve topper to Ritchey, as I recall SV milling the post to fit either one specifically. I have an email from SV regarding the diameter needed to accommodate the Enve topper, and it's not a common size at all.. Enve makes those toppers for SV.
if this is the case, my idea is a non-starter
Don't use saddle setback to adjust reach - you're going to have a bad time. Saddle position needs to be set based on your pedaling mechanics, then adjust reach with bar and stem.
Frankly, I cannot tell a difference in my power (which is little) or comfort (over 0-10 hours) when my saddle setback varies from normal 7.5cm up to 8.0cm or as short as 6.5cm. I am sure others may notice though

timenoway
04-11-2019, 06:52 PM
Very cool bike. Is Detroit Agate the name of the paint scheme? Just curious being a Michigander.

Yes, it is actually the one-off workshop paint off model. I really quite was impressed by the paint job!

Matthew
04-11-2019, 08:14 PM
Sweet, glad you like it.

Sjambok
04-14-2019, 11:51 AM
I believe the seat toppers are the same ID. The difference though is the height. So if the ENVE topper fits you perfectly the Ritchey will put your seat at a different height. The ENVE topper is shorter than the Ritchey topper.

timenoway
04-14-2019, 08:04 PM
With the new Extralite -12 120 stem! Angles finally look right! And I just found out that stem made in house weighs at least 500g (exaggerated just by a little bit...). It is almost a solid piece of iron!

Anyways... The Extralite stem actually feels nice to use and really made me feel good with the setup. I can even afford to push the saddle a bit forward more to get more aero these days...

timenoway
04-14-2019, 08:05 PM
I believe the seat toppers are the same ID. The difference though is the height. So if the ENVE topper fits you perfectly the Ritchey will put your seat at a different height. The ENVE topper is shorter than the Ritchey topper.

Yeah I think the Enve topper is not getting changed out any time soon. Especially I tend to ride very forward to aggressive.

pdonk
04-15-2019, 01:42 PM

Yes, from SV's website - https://www.speedvagen.com/workshopbuildoff

Detroit agate is almost a gem stone like material created by taking chunks of paint from walls and fixtures out of paint booths in major american automobile manufacturing facilities. It is then cut and polished to reveal all of the layers and colors built up over years and years of the manufacturing process. This was the idea we were shooting for. Beauty out of process.