PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with experience using a ball bearing as a pump peg?

jasonification
04-10-2019, 04:09 PM
I've been using zip ties on the head tube of my bike as a pump peg mount but am hoping to move to something more permanent. Was thinking of JB welding a ball bearing as such. Has any one done this? Would love photos/advice!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Blown Reek
04-10-2019, 04:11 PM
I'd assume that silver brazing is the correct way to do this.

David Tollefson
04-10-2019, 04:15 PM
I've used a small cap screw into a threaded hole in the HT (then silver brazed in place).

prototoast
04-10-2019, 04:17 PM
Why not just use a pump peg?

https://framebuildersupply.com/products/pump-pegs-one-pair?variant=6650763903004

thwart
04-10-2019, 04:50 PM
I'm assuming the OP is thinking about some way of adding a more permanent pump peg-like protuberance to the head tube, without the cost and complexity of removing paint and doing brazing.

I've wondered about this myself in the past. However, I've assumed that anything glued in place would likely fail over time.

And then... perhaps a Breaking Away moment.

https://xmasepic.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/crash-bicylepump.jpg

prototoast
04-10-2019, 04:58 PM
I'm assuming the OP is thinking about some way of adding a more permanent pump peg-like protuberance to the head tube, without the cost and complexity of removing paint and doing brazing.

I was implying that if he's going to glue something on above the paint, I can't think of any reason to glue on a ball bearing instead of gluing on an actual pump peg. The latter has a better shape to interface with the head tube, will create a stronger bond, and is already the right shape to interface with the pump.

jasonification
04-10-2019, 05:01 PM
I was implying that if he's going to glue something on above the paint, I can't think of any reason to glue on a ball bearing instead of gluing on an actual pump peg. The latter has a better shape to interface with the head tube, will create a stronger bond, and is already the right shape to interface with the pump.Ah that's a great idea! I might just do that. Thanks !!

PacNW2Ford
04-10-2019, 05:23 PM
It would be easier than trying to zip tie a ball bearing to the head tube

jvp
04-10-2019, 06:00 PM
My 1980 McLean has a brazed on ball bearing near the top of the seat tube...apparently that was one of his signature "things".

teleguy57
04-10-2019, 07:42 PM

You could drill a hole through the ball bearing, enlarge it to a slot with a file, then use Tubasti in the slot to make sure the zip tie stays in place. Easy-peasy :eek:

zennmotion
04-10-2019, 09:30 PM
A small patch of velcro on the tube and end of the pump does the trick non-invasively. I've done it on several bikes without a problem, holds well without an extra strap if the pump is tight especially if you add a little extra silicone glue or similar to the adhesive backing

04-10-2019, 10:35 PM
The contact point for a ball bearing is pretty small. You'll have a better glue joint with a JBWelded braze-on pump peg. I did it once and it worked much better. It also engaged the pump head a lot better.

I've also tried zip ties and similar fabrications but they tend to pop loose at inopportune times and I'd lose a pump. The best were high-end zip ties with a stainless steel tongue and a smaller rounded head, but those depend on the sturdiness of the part of the tie running through the tongue and since that has to be cut pretty short, it's a bit compromised.

Frankly, the whole thing about pump pegs disappeared as frame-fit pumps became popular. Something like a Silca frame pump works quite well for that. From a different perspective, a good quality mini pump serves pretty well -- are you creating more of a problem by trying to use a frame pump when there are better solutions available?

cardcatalog
04-11-2019, 02:42 AM
Looking at my elephant nfe, fairly sure it’s a brazed on ball bearing for a pump peg. Works great.

Dude
04-11-2019, 04:11 AM
Serotta used ball bearings as pump pegs.

jasonification
04-11-2019, 07:36 AM
The contact point for a ball bearing is pretty small. You'll have a better glue joint with a JBWelded braze-on pump peg. I did it once and it worked much better. It also engaged the pump head a lot better.

I've also tried zip ties and similar fabrications but they tend to pop loose at inopportune times and I'd lose a pump. The best were high-end zip ties with a stainless steel tongue and a smaller rounded head, but those depend on the sturdiness of the part of the tie running through the tongue and since that has to be cut pretty short, it's a bit compromised.

Frankly, the whole thing about pump pegs disappeared as frame-fit pumps became popular. Something like a Silca frame pump works quite well for that. From a different perspective, a good quality mini pump serves pretty well -- are you creating more of a problem by trying to use a frame pump when there are better solutions available?I currently use a zefal hpx with my Bob Jackson, with a zip tie as my "peg'. As you've mentioned it can prove to be at times inconsistent. Most recently on a group ride I hit a bump and the zip tie shifted, resulting in the ejection of my pump, which is why I'm looking for something of a bit more permanent peg solution. Would a Velcro strap be enough security to hold it in place, without the zip tie?

My only concern with JB welding a pump peg on is how to weather proof it.

unterhausen
04-11-2019, 08:06 AM
I think a ball bearing and a metal bearing epoxy like JB will work fairly well. I would worry about the paint letting loose with any epoxied method. I'm not really sure that the shape of a brazeon pump peg really has an advantage in this application. I would probably try to find a peg that straps on.

I lost too many pumps in the woods and now all of my pumps are held on with double sided velcro as well as a pump mount. Attach the velcro to the frame first and then wrap it around the pump so you don't have to worry about getting the velcro back on the frame when you're done with the pump.

oldpotatoe
04-11-2019, 08:10 AM
I've been using zip ties on the head tube of my bike as a pump peg mount but am hoping to move to something more permanent. Was thinking of JB welding a ball bearing as such. Has any one done this? Would love photos/advice!

I've seen it done..drill to make a little shallow 'seat' for the bearing and then JB weld it there..

martl
04-11-2019, 08:45 AM

What a zip tie can't fix...

https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/img/photos/2/0/9/0/_/medium/kurbel2.jpg?0 (https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/120074)

You could drill a hole through the ball bearing, enlarge it to a slot with a file, then use Tubasti in the slot to make sure the zip tie stays in place. Easy-peasy :eek:

...EDM can

https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/f3/4/478/478679-l697kaj1rz42-edm01-medium.jpg (https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/478679)

Clean39T
04-11-2019, 09:09 AM
http://www.bikewalktampabay.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Bike-In-Movie.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dude
04-11-2019, 10:53 AM
If we're just trying to solve for a slipping zip tie...wrap a couple layers of electrical tape down first, then cinch the zip tie on top of the tape. It will give something for the zip tie to bite into and won't slide around.

bambam
04-11-2019, 02:23 PM
How about a double-sided Velcro electronic cable strap around the toptube and pump at the front?

Good Luck,
BamBam

04-11-2019, 03:28 PM
I currently use a zefal hpx with my Bob Jackson, with a zip tie as my "peg'. As you've mentioned it can prove to be at times inconsistent. Most recently on a group ride I hit a bump and the zip tie shifted, resulting in the ejection of my pump, which is why I'm looking for something of a bit more permanent peg solution. Would a Velcro strap be enough security to hold it in place, without the zip tie?

How to weatherproof it? Get a titanium one? The pump peg has a big enough base and a matching surface so it glues on better. It's still not a great solution. Possibly get a shop to put a stub on the inside of the pump peg and a drilled hole in the back of the head tube and then you have a real solution going? Any frame builder or even a gun shop could do that.

A velcro strap for when the pump peg shifts keeps the pump from flying off and potentially into your wheels or someone else's, but it requires that you stop immediately and fix the problem. That's better than nothing but not great.

zennmotion
04-11-2019, 03:48 PM
I currently use a zefal hpx with my Bob Jackson, with a zip tie as my "peg'. As you've mentioned it can prove to be at times inconsistent. Most recently on a group ride I hit a bump and the zip tie shifted, resulting in the ejection of my pump, which is why I'm looking for something of a bit more permanent peg solution. Would a Velcro strap be enough security to hold it in place, without the zip tie?

Dude, you're overthinking it- this velcro mount on the back of my Ti headtube is at least 5 years old, the fuzzy side is glued to the end of the pump. The pump is at least as solid as it would be with a proper braze on.

jasonification
04-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Dude, you're overthinking it- this velcro mount on the back of my Ti headtube is at least 5 years old, the fuzzy side is glued to the end of the pump. The pump is at least as solid as it would be with a proper braze on.Dude. Brilliant!!! Ugh the paceline wins again

zennmotion
04-11-2019, 03:58 PM
Dude. Brilliant!!! Ugh the paceline wins again

Like I said on Pg 2, you might need to add some silicone or gorilla glue to the back of the velcro to hold it in place for the long term, the sticky backing by itself will eventually slip. But with the extra glue it's not going anywhere without being pried off with solvent. If your pump isnt tight you may still want a strap around the top tube to help keep it in place for gravel riding but I don't use one except going into really rough stuff.

jasonification
04-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Like I said on Pg 2, you might need to add some silicone or gorilla glue to the back of the velcro to hold it in place for the long term, the sticky backing by itself will eventually slip. But with the extra glue it's not going anywhere without being pried off with solvent. If your pump isnt tight you may still want a strap around the top tube to help keep it in place for gravel riding but I don't use one except going into really rough stuff.Yeh I wasn't totally getting what you meant until I saw the photo. Definitely going to do that. Thanks again!

EricEstlund
04-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Most modern frame pumps come with a little velcro strap. Just use that if you don't have a peg. No need to glue anything to your bike.

54ny77
04-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that head tube with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and you're gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.