PDA

View Full Version : chain catcher for 2015 Chorus with braze on adapter?

chiasticon
04-10-2019, 11:38 AM
I've never had any issues with dropped chains on my Chorus setup and meant to install a catcher, but never did for some reason. that is until yesterday, when I dropped a chain on a rough road. :rolleyes:

so... what chain catcher do I use for 2015 Chorus with a braze on adapter? the below video says the (easily found) Campy CSD is not compatible with braze-on adapters and that I should use "the current chain drop prevention system." but what the hell is that? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_1pkG2XfT0

should I just buy the K-Edge system (adapter and clamp)? the braze-on adapter I currently have is a Campy one. I also have Shimano ones around, as well as a K-Edge Pro catcher (but they also say it doesn't work with braze-on adapters).

jemoryl
04-10-2019, 03:11 PM
I'm using a Deda Dog Fang on a Chorus bike I built up last year. No dropped chains so far (ca. 3000 miles) so if one was occurring it must have been been caught without detection. It is cheap and plasticy but one can hardly see it where it is mounted.

mcteague
04-10-2019, 04:16 PM
I'm using a Deda Dog Fang on a Chorus bike I built up last year. No dropped chains so far (ca. 3000 miles) so if one was occurring it must have been been caught without detection. It is cheap and plasticy but one can hardly see it where it is mounted.

Me too. However, it only works on round tubes.

Tim

djdj
04-10-2019, 05:49 PM
I just installed a K Edge Pro on 2015 Chorus. Easy set up and seems stout.

jbf
04-10-2019, 05:57 PM
I just installed a K Edge Pro on 2015 Chorus. Easy set up and seems stout.

I'm using the same one on same group for 3 years. No drops, cheap insurance.

R3awak3n
04-10-2019, 08:25 PM
I had a far and near one which worked great, moved that to my OPEN and now about to install a k-edge. THe braze on adapter on mine is a Parlee carbon.

wasfast
04-10-2019, 10:17 PM
K Edge

chiasticon
04-12-2019, 10:20 AM
well, even though they say it can't be guaranteed to work with braze-on adapters, I ended up going with the K-Edge standard (not "pro") catcher, in conjunction with the Campagnolo adapter. seems OK but definitely not as stable as other catchers. it's just held in place by friction via the screw attaching it to the adapter. so I can pretty easily just push it out of the way. with the "pro" one, or the Sram one, you attach a shaped washer which also has a screw to set the amount the catcher sits inboard/outboard. better design. maybe I should get the K-edge adapter as well...? or infuriate everyone and use the Sram one? ;)

anyway, hope this holds. couple rides in and no complaints so far... <fingers crossed>

Lewis Moon
04-12-2019, 10:31 AM

These are actually a great low tech, small footprint solution. I have one on pretty much every bike I own.

longlist
04-13-2019, 07:14 PM
I've never had any issues with dropped chains on my Chorus setup and meant to install a catcher, but never did for some reason. that is until yesterday, when I dropped a chain on a rough road. :rolleyes:

so... what chain catcher do I use for 2015 Chorus with a braze on adapter? the below video says the (easily found) Campy CSD is not compatible with braze-on adapters and that I should use "the current chain drop prevention system." but what the hell is that? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_1pkG2XfT0

should I just buy the K-Edge system (adapter and clamp)? the braze-on adapter I currently have is a Campy one. I also have Shimano ones around, as well as a K-Edge Pro catcher (but they also say it doesn't work with braze-on adapters).

yes, it is compatible with a braze-on front derailleur tab. it's not as pretty as the normal way where it mounts to a campagnolo front derailleur clamp. but yes, it works fine.