PDA

View Full Version : DIY/electronics experts: Is it possible to replace the LED in my L&M bike headlight?

Wayne77
04-10-2019, 11:31 AM
I have a Light and Motion Urban 1000 bike light and it appears the LED is no longer working. It charges up just fine (as indicated by the green indicator light at the back), but the beam doesn't work. I can send it in for a repair ($50), but I've been able to fix a lot of small electronic parts in the past and would like to try this repair myself. Sometimes I just like to be able to do it myself for the satisfaction of being able to do it.

Anyway, I know how to dismantle this thing..it looks like the battery is fairly easy to replace, but I can't find any DIY videos on replacing the LED bulb itself. Does anyone know if this is even possible? If it is, by any chance does anyone know how I can determine the LED specs to get the right replacement part? I think a lot of bike lights, compact flashlights, etc use some kind of CREE LED..

If this isn't possible, no biggie...I just thought it might be nice to try.

Thanks!

Mikej
04-10-2019, 11:46 AM
mtbr has a diy light forum, I’d check it out-

mt2u77
04-10-2019, 12:33 PM
Possible? Of course. Worth it-- I doubt it. The LED itself is just a component on a circuit board. Take apart the old one and inspect for the problem. If you're lucky, the problem will be obvious (cracked/lifted solder joint, which is what I found when I took apart my rear blinky). Otherwise you'll have to troubleshoot a circuit board of which you have no design knowledge (which can be tough). If it's the LED, you might find enough info printed on the board or part to identify a replacement LED. Then go to a place like Digikey and see if you can buy one. It will probably be $20+. Then you'll have to do some fine solder work to lift the old part and replace it with the new one without bunging up the rest of the board. I imagine alignment and heat management is pretty important for a headlight. It'll be a lot of work and there is a good chance you spend $20 and still end up with a dead light. $50 for service doesn't sound so bad.

gdw
04-10-2019, 12:35 PM
I've upgraded a lot of the old Dinotte single led lights and it was easy if you know how to disassemble the light and can solder. You need to do some research because you will need a new led that matches your optic or will have to buy a new optic for the replacement led. Measure the diameter of the optic and post a picture of it and your current led here if you can. I'm not familiar with that particular model so the pictures will help those of us who have rebuilt lights steer you in the right direction.

45K10
04-10-2019, 01:12 PM
Possible? Of course. Worth it-- I doubt it. The LED itself is just a component on a circuit board. Take apart the old one and inspect for the problem. If you're lucky, the problem will be obvious (cracked/lifted solder joint, which is what I found when I took apart my rear blinky). Otherwise you'll have to troubleshoot a circuit board of which you have no design knowledge (which can be tough). If it's the LED, you might find enough info printed on the board or part to identify a replacement LED. Then go to a place like Digikey and see if you can buy one. It will probably be $20+. Then you'll have to do some fine solder work to lift the old part and replace it with the new one without bunging up the rest of the board. I imagine alignment and heat management is pretty important for a headlight. It'll be a lot of work and there is a good chance you spend $20 and still end up with a dead light. $50 for service doesn't sound so bad.

Agreed, unless it is obvious what the problem is it is worth the $50 to send it in. I would imagine the board is pretty small so unless you have a good soldering rig and some decent soldering skills there is a high chance of failure.

ScottW
04-10-2019, 01:26 PM
I'm pretty much with mt2u77 ^^^
Sure, first take it apart and see if there's an obvious flaw like a cracked solder joint that might be repaired for no cost.
Upgrading a currently-functioning light can be pretty straightforward, but if the LED isn't lighting up you don't necessarily know the LED itself is at fault, or the only fault. However, the LEDs themselves are usually not too difficult to replace.

unterhausen
04-10-2019, 02:04 PM
emitters never die, they just fade away. I doubt it's the emitter, unless it's cracked. There are a couple of forums about bike lights other than mtbr, candlepower and one I don't really remember.

On a light like that, I would pay for the repair, that's cheap. There are others I might do myself. People swap emitters for better emitters relatively frequently. But they start with a working light.

Wayne77
04-10-2019, 03:02 PM
Thanks everyone - extremely helpful!