PDA

View Full Version : Mixing different brands of tubular glue?

EDS
04-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Yay or nay to mixing two different types of tubular glue? For reference, this is with a carbon rim and a schwalbe pro one tubular. Rim has conti carbon glue on it right now (tire is new) and I have a tube of mastik one on hand.

Dumb question perhaps and feel free to advise me of such.

Many thanks.

Blown Reek
04-09-2019, 06:59 PM
Considering the glue job that some people do, as long as you have enough glue you should be fine. However, cleaning off tubular glue is the easiest thing to do. Saran wrap, goo-gone and a brush. Voila... virgin surface.

cgolvin
04-09-2019, 07:04 PM
Saran wrap, goo-gone and a brush. Voila... virgin surface.

A bit more detail would be helpful to relative tubular newbies…
thanks

Bentley
04-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Considering the glue job that some people do, as long as you have enough glue you should be fine. However, cleaning off tubular glue is the easiest thing to do. Saran wrap, goo-gone and a brush. Voila... virgin surface.

Saran Wrap, goo gone? Never done that wanna explain? I purchased a set of tubulars and still have not gotten all the glue off

DRietz
04-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Apply goo gone to the tire bed, then wrap in saran so that it can soak in without volatilizing.

Then once it's soft, it can basically just be scraped/brushed off.

I would not mix Conti cement and Mastik, especially given my lackluster experience with the Conti stuff.

Also, not to be "that guy," but for tubie newbies, there's information in SPADES out there. Consider the ol' search-arooney.

Blown Reek
04-09-2019, 08:35 PM
Apply goo gone to the tire bed, then wrap in saran so that it can soak in without volatilizing.

That's it. Maybe do a second round of it (couple hours/overnight if you're lazy per round), and clean it up with acetone. Perfect surface that's as good as new.

smontanaro
04-10-2019, 05:58 AM
I doubt that mixing brands of tubular glue would be a problem. This stuff's been around for ~100 years. Lots of the vintage peeps over on CR ride tubulars (I do mostly as well). You'd think if there was a tubular glue bad juju mixing meme it would turn up there about as often as the bibs/shorts thing does here. I'm sure I've mixed glues before. I've ridden lots of used tires and used rims over the years, and out of sheer laziness haven't always removed all traces of glue before mounting new (or old) tires. My basement lair was in its usual messy - but unexploded - state this morning when I grabbed my Schwinn three-speed (no sew-ups there) for the ride to the train.

I buy Vittoria Mastik One in cans. Buying glue in tubes is a pretty expensive way to go.

oldpotatoe
04-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Yay or nay to mixing two different types of tubular glue? For reference, this is with a carbon rim and a schwalbe pro one tubular. Rim has conti carbon glue on it right now (tire is new) and I have a tube of mastik one on hand.

Dumb question perhaps and feel free to advise me of such.

Many thanks.

Conti 'carbon' glue is crappola..try to remove as much as you can(see above), then use Vittoria or my favorite-Panaracer...Clear and doesn't get thick after opening the can..

ultraman6970
04-10-2019, 09:06 AM
IMe the answer to the OP question is yes and no...

This is the thing, there is (or was) 2 types of glue, the old glue was red and then you have the glue like the continental glue that is like honey colored. In other works, one is called skicky (red) and the regular modern glue.

The red one dries really dry, actually you can peel it, I imagine the OP never seen this glue so... the worse that will happen if you put the modern glue over the red one is that the red glue will turn really sticky and will take longer to dry, but in 24hrs that will be ok.

Yes you can glue on top of any glue with the modern glue... hope this helps.

El Chaba
04-10-2019, 09:34 AM
A surface of old glue is usually okay If
*The glues is not too old and has gotten chalky...It usually takes a few years for that to happen, but if it des you can just remove the old hard glue with a stiff brush. Modern glues are not as bad about this as the old red glues (see Ultraman),
*There is not too much glue.
*The existing glue is not contaminated.
I have never seen an issue with mixing types of glue. I guess it's possible in theory, but at least I have never seen a problem in practice. I actually prefer to have a base layer of Tubasti and finish the surface with Mastik 1.

dddd
04-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Somehow I am concerned that any Goo Gone might not fully volatilize all of it's fractions before the new glue was laid down. What effect on the glue and bond that the mysterious remaining solvent(s) might have is what would lead me to simply re-glue over the existing glue.
I haven't noticed any tendency for new glue not to stick to old glue at all.

As El Chaba seems to be saying, make sure the old glue still is flexible and has a tenacious grip on the rim surface.

nooneline
04-10-2019, 02:29 PM
wow. i've never heard somebody express a preference for Tubasti before.

EDS
04-10-2019, 03:16 PM
Thanks to all for your advice.

slinkywizard
04-11-2019, 04:23 AM
I’ve only applied mastik pro to regular mastik. Wors very well. Good stuff mastik pro, does not clean up with water though, but very easy to use

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Steve in SLO
04-11-2019, 09:55 AM
This is the thing, there is (or was) 2 types of glue, the old glue was red and then you have the glue like the continental glue that is like honey colored. In other works, one is called skicky (red) and the regular modern glue.

The red one dries really dry, actually you can peel it

Ah, good ol’ Clement red.
I had a tube leak in my toolbox one time and nearly 40 years later I still have that stuff on some of my tools. I’ve given up trying to remove it. Dries like JB Weld.