PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

jckid
12-01-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm looking to buy a ti mountain bike frame for a singlespeed project. My budget is limited, so custom is out of the question. I've found a good deal on a Litespeed Pisgah frame ($899 for a 2005 model). For $100 more, I found a 2006 Dean Colonel. I can't make up my mind, so I thought I would set up a poll to see which one you guys think is better. Any other input would be appreciated.

gdw
12-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Which one fits your body and riding style better? Both are good straight gauge models but have minor differences in their geometries which might influence your choice. The Pisgahs usually have slightly longer top tubes and more relaxed seat angles than the Deans. Litespeeds also have less standover than similar sized Dean frames. Less crotch clearance could be painful if you ride technical trails.

jckid
12-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Which one fits your body and riding style better? Both are good straight gauge models but have minor differences in their geometries which might influence your choice. The Pisgahs usually have slightly longer top tubes and more relaxed seat angles than the Deans. Litespeeds also have less standover than similar sized Dean frames. Less crotch clearance could be painful if you ride technical trails.

Thanks for pointing this out. Here are the size specs of each.

14" Litespeed Pisgah
Standover 28.4
Seat tube 13.35
Eff top tube 21.0
Head tube angle 71.0
Seat tube angle 73.0
Head tube length 4.5

XS Dean Colonel
Standover 26.8
Seat tube 13.0
Eff top tube 21.5
Head tube angle 71.0
Seat tube angle 74.0
Head tube length 4.0

My road bike has a seat tube angle of 73.5 and a top tube lengh of 52cm. This works well for me running a straight seatpost and 9cm stem.

For the mountain bike, I am most concerned about the reach to the bars being correct and the height of the handlebars being high enough--less concerned about the standover. I'm not sure which seat tube angle would be better for me, and the difference in the head tube length has me wondering how that would effect the height of the handlebars.

saab2000
12-01-2006, 02:17 PM
I can't give advice on either model, but be sure to check various classifieds and eBay before you buy new. That is my new mantra and it serves well. There is a lot of good stuff out there for cheap.

Steelhead
12-01-2006, 02:26 PM
The one that fits you best is the one to buy - if the fit was close, IMHO would be the Dean....way cooler that Litespeed. :banana:

jckid
12-04-2006, 10:45 AM
be sure to check various classifieds and eBay before you buy new.

I always see great deals on E-bay. The only problem is that I rarely see anything in my size. I think E-bay can be a bargain for average size riders, but small frames are few and far between.

TimD
12-04-2006, 10:58 AM
www.habcycles.com