PDA

View Full Version : Edco Racer Hubs-- Any good?

Pegoready
04-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Hey guys, I picked up a bike with these Edco hubs. They feel pretty good and say "Swiss Made" if that means anything. The rear will need new bearings. I am sure they are 8/9/10 speed only which doesn't bother me. My question is are they any good? Worth the time to replace bearings and relace?

Thanks!

bicycletricycle
04-09-2019, 11:02 AM
I ran those same hubs for a while. they served me well.

doomridesout
04-09-2019, 11:50 AM
Edco used to have a great reputation, kind of fell off the radar. Definitely worth a refurb.

acorn_user
04-09-2019, 08:53 PM
I had an edco front hub and it was beautifully smooth. Looks like your ones came laced to FIR SRG 30 rims, which are nice too.

Joxster
04-10-2019, 01:34 AM
Edco also make an 11v cassette that fits on a 10v freehub

David Tollefson
04-10-2019, 06:51 AM
edco also make an 11v cassette that fits on a 10v freehub

$212...

spacemen3
04-10-2019, 01:47 PM
I'm pretty sure those Edco hubs were rebadged Hugi's. Edco only sold nice stuff. :beer:

dddd
04-10-2019, 01:55 PM
I would only consider re-lacing these if the spoke count and maybe even spoke length jibed with the particular rims that I thought best served my needs.

And I am at least somewhat leery of going forward on a second rim lifespan with any front hub that uses radial lacing.

Radial lacing imparts higher stresses on failure-prone spoke flanges, some of which fail from "creep yield" due to the extended time that spoke tension is trying to pull the flange apart.

And radial-laced front wheels have a particularly dangerous failure mode wherein any adjacent pair of same-side spokes affect the exact same quadrant of the rim, which then may stop turning, with great force, while riding.
Very fortunately, most such failures seem to occur while the bike isn't being used, as creep yield in aluminum tends not to sleep.

GonaSovereign
04-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Edco makes/made good stuff. The hubs are legit. You will have seen them (rebadged) on older Bontrager wheels.
Edco and Hügi are not the same company. Hugi hubs became DT hubs.

Fun fact: Edco used to offer a road groupset. Several editions, actually, including one with integrated shifters and hydraulic brakes. Here's a pic of the integrated shifter sticking out the top of the hood.
https://bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Magura-Edco-Ergo-Shift-Levers-Hydraulic-Road-brakes1.jpg

sailorboy
04-10-2019, 09:50 PM
I would only consider re-lacing these if the spoke count and maybe even spoke length jibed with the particular rims that I thought best served my needs.

And I am at least somewhat leery of going forward on a second rim lifespan with any front hub that uses radial lacing.

Radial lacing imparts higher stresses on failure-prone spoke flanges, some of which fail from "creep yield" due to the extended time that spoke tension is trying to pull the flange apart.

And radial-laced front wheels have a particularly dangerous failure mode wherein any adjacent pair of same-side spokes affect the exact same quadrant of the rim, which then may stop turning, with great force, while riding.
Very fortunately, most such failures seem to occur while the bike isn't being used, as creep yield in aluminum tends not to sleep.

this sounds like a pretty convincing rationale to walk away from those puppies. It's like the saying goes, there are some areas you don't cheap out, like old and overused bars/stems and in this case, front wheel/hub that's been built for possibly decades now unless you don't care about your dental work and keeping your original teeth and facial structure.