PDA

View Full Version : Viscoset

Jaybee
04-09-2019, 09:42 AM
Cane Creek has developed a headset (https://www.canecreek.com/product/viscoset/) that uses a series of thin plates and high viscosity grease to eliminate speed wobbles.

I haven't had a speed wobble in ages, but I do understand it to be more of a problem for the touring/bikepacking crowd.

Additionally, per this review (http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/cane-creek-viscoset-review/), you also get some steering damping qualities which could be useful for the gravel bike crowd (high trail + no suspension + rough surface = front wheel skittering everywhere) and also for the fat bike crowd. I'd be interested in the latter application - keeping your front wheel straight in loose snow is exhausting.

Looks like a pretty sharp piece of engineering to me. Thoughts?

Ken Robb
04-09-2019, 10:32 AM
I have had 3 bikes that were prone to speed wobbles and I would have tried this rather than selling them. I know the combination of geometry and my weight distribution were part of the cause because they didn't wobble when ridden by some, but not all, other people. I made the guy who bought my wobbly Trek ride it down La Jolla Sores Drive from top to bottom and he said it was fine. That is a severe test because it's easy to coast at 40+ mph, the pavement is ripply and there are some swoopy turns. FWIW neither of my Serottas and none of my Rivendells wobbled there. My Strada Bianca with YBB rear end was serene swooping through the ripply turns.

benb
04-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Seems like a valid thing to try if you're stuck but it always seems to be caused by something else so there are lots of other things to try as well.

I always get a chuckle out of some of the internet lore about this stuff.

I have a bike that is more stable with a shorter stem for example. The bike is definitely on the bigger side for me but it's a riot the longer stem seemingly throws the fit off enough to more than compensate for whatever stability a longer stem is supposed to provide. The longer stem makes it feel like it wants to go into a wobble.