PDA

View Full Version : Snot rocket attempt

Irishgirl
04-08-2019, 06:55 PM
I pried myself away from the laptop to get in a quick ride ...squeeze in an hour outside. Being from the Chicago area one has to get out and enjoy the weather cuz you never know when it’s going to snow! (Snow is predicted Wednesday)

There is nothing like getting out on the bike to clear the head or work through a problem. After reading the thread today about a rider that experienced bad etiquette involving a snot rocket or spitting I suddenly realized I had never “launched” a snot rocket...so I decided today would be the day...my allergies have started with springs arrival so no time like the present!

I planned on waiting till I was on a stretch or road with no cars and no other cyclists. I didn’t want to be an offending snot rocket launcher.

Never having done this and a little uncertain of the mechanics I thought it must be similar to blowing ones nose without a tissue - which I usually keep a package of tissues in my saddle bag....but not today.

I reach the designated snot rocket area and thoughts raced through my mind....this may not be the proper conditions... I may not be ready...I decide I have to at least give it a “snot”....

1...2...3...blow

Then...

Snots so good....head wind + snot rocket = a mess!

I think I’ll stick to my tissues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

false_Aest
04-08-2019, 07:02 PM
My ex was one hell of a bike rider. On a bad day, having not ridden in 8 months she'd ride away from the guys on a 50 mile ride.

She was not great at blowing snot rockets, however. More than once she launched a snot rocket into my leg. This was one of MicroWatt's more endearing quirks.

It takes a bit to perfect and your snot needs to be the right consistency.

charliedid
04-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Maybe it's just snot for you?

henrypretz
04-08-2019, 07:08 PM
The shower is a great place to practice.

dpdan93
04-08-2019, 07:12 PM

this ^^

pdmtong
04-08-2019, 07:21 PM
Just like looking back to watch for cars, make sure your remaining hand on the bar stays steady while you turn your head. No veering during the ensuing process.

Black Dog
04-08-2019, 07:39 PM
Well. To evacuate the contents of the left nostril you place your right thumb on the right side of your nose to close the right nostril. Make sure your fingers are pointing up. The trick is to launch the left nostril to the right side of the bike by tilting your head to the left. Commit to the launch. Believe to achieve. Opposite for the right nostril. 👃🏻

HenryA
04-08-2019, 07:51 PM
Left thumb blocks right nostril and other way ‘round. Raise your head up and turn it back over your shoulder, then let fly. Wipe any left over on your jersey sleeve. Now you’re ridin’ like a man. :banana:

dpdan93
04-08-2019, 07:52 PM
The key is for sure to commit, give it a good push

weisan
04-08-2019, 08:22 PM
It's like peeing...if you tried too hard, you are missing the point.

zmudshark
04-08-2019, 09:29 PM
Possibly relevant:

https://airlinerwatch.com/a-dutch-fighter-jet-shoots-itself-during-an-air-to-ground-training/

coreyaugustus
04-08-2019, 09:51 PM
It’s very seldom I have the opportunity to chime in with actual wisdom on any subject on this forum, so imagine my disappointment when I arrive too late to the conversation.

The one finger nostril obstruction method is good, but you gotta pair it with an outboard turn/lean in the event you don’t have the blow force or the projectile material is a bit stickier than expected.

XXtwindad
04-08-2019, 10:11 PM
I pried myself away from the laptop to get in a quick ride ...squeeze in an hour outside. Being from the Chicago area one has to get out and enjoy the weather cuz you never know when it’s going to snow! (Snow is predicted Wednesday)

There is nothing like getting out on the bike to clear the head or work through a problem. After reading the thread today about a rider that experienced bad etiquette involving a snot rocket or spitting I suddenly realized I had never “launched” a snot rocket...so I decided today would be the day...my allergies have started with springs arrival so no time like the present!

I planned on waiting till I was on a stretch or road with no cars and no other cyclists. I didn’t want to be an offending snot rocket launcher.

Never having done this and a little uncertain of the mechanics I thought it must be similar to blowing ones nose without a tissue - which I usually keep a package of tissues in my saddle bag....but not today.

I reach the designated snot rocket area and thoughts raced through my mind....this may not be the proper conditions... I may not be ready...I decide I have to at least give it a “snot”....

1...2...3...blow

Then...

Snots so good....head wind + snot rocket = a mess!

I think I’ll stick to my tissues!

Haha. Well done. Gripping narrative.

OtayBW
04-08-2019, 11:03 PM
1...2...3...blowIt's not 'blow'. Think of it more as some kind of convoluted cross between hocking up a lugi and a strong, sharp sneeze. There. Does that help? Now go out there and try it again! ;)

chiasticon
04-09-2019, 06:39 AM
remember: you don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger, and you don't mess around with Jim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQrTGE4wwwA

soulspinner
04-09-2019, 06:40 AM
Just like looking back to watch for cars, make sure your remaining hand on the bar stays steady while you turn your head. No veering during the ensuing process.

THIS...and welcome to the club:p

oldpotatoe
04-09-2019, 07:01 AM
Guess you gots no farmers in your family..:)

smontanaro
04-09-2019, 08:14 AM
@Irishgirl - snot rockets are my specialty. Come ride the North Shore sometime. I can demonstrate. ;)

Irishgirl
04-09-2019, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all the tips and guidance...there is definitely a certain finesse to mastering the art of the snot rocket...had a few belly laughs reading through all the technical directions and can see where the issues occurred.

Thanks also for the encouragement as I will try a “re-launch”...hopefully with better results.

@Old Potato- grandparents were farmers...does that count?

@montanaro - I’ll reach out if round two is unsuccessful

oldpotatoe
04-09-2019, 09:02 AM
Thanks for all the tips and guidance...there is definitely a certain finesse to mastering the art of the snot rocket...had a few belly laughs reading through all the technical directions and can see where the issues occurred.

Thanks also for the encouragement as I will try a “re-launch”...hopefully with better results.

@Old Potato- grandparents were farmers...does that count?

@montanaro - I’ll reach out if round two is unsuccessful

Obviously not since they never blew their nose when you visited..:)

marciero
04-09-2019, 09:14 AM
Note that dispersion can be affected by those with longer vs shorter noses and the resulting shotgun burst vs rifle shot, as well as those with differing configurations of left and right sides due to deviated septum or having nose broken and the concomitant impacts on trajectory. Also, there is that phenomenon, similar to peeing where, once in a blue moon, for whatever reason, it just does not go where you aimed.

Irishgirl
04-09-2019, 09:20 AM
Note that dispersion can be affected by those with longer vs shorter noses and the resulting shotgun burst vs rifle shot, as well as those with differing configurations of left and right sides due to deviated septum or having nose broken and the concomitant impacts on trajectory. Also, there is that phenomenon, similar to peeing where, once in a blue moon, for whatever reason, it just does not go where you aimed.

I’ve almost given up on peeing (usually on myself) in the wild...and those would be some funny stories to share...

shoota
04-09-2019, 10:42 AM
I still haven't gotten over the fact that you take tissues with you on a ride. Does. Not. Compute.

eddief
04-09-2019, 11:24 AM
a long ways back i emailed Scot Nicol and suggested he name his next model the Snot Rocket. He'd sell a bunch.

C40_guy
04-09-2019, 11:27 AM
Hey, congratulations!

I learned the technique from my high school ice hockey coach!

As you gain in experience, you'll have fun with road signs, chipmunks, side view mirrors on parked cars (just kidding on the last.)

You'll learn about prevailing winds, closing speeds, yadda yadda.

Just be aware of overtaking riders. :)

Dave B
04-09-2019, 11:33 AM

or you could live in the midwest. We have to learn that before we pass kindergarten. :)

shoota
04-09-2019, 11:58 AM
I'm baffled that this is something "to learn" and there are techniques and whatnot. I feel like I rolled out of the womb blowing snot rockets lol.

Seramount
04-09-2019, 12:56 PM
I'm baffled that this is something "to learn" and there are techniques and whatnot. I feel like I rolled out of the womb blowing snot rockets lol.

yeah, seems like it's right there with farting and belching as behaviors that don't really require developing a technique...

C40_guy
04-09-2019, 01:23 PM
yeah, seems like it's right there with farting and belching as behaviors that don't really require developing a technique...

Depends on where you want to be on the mastery level:

(1) To know of or to have heard the concepts
(2) To know and really understand the concepts
(3) To be able to do them on your own very well
(4) To do them continuously very well over time and show improvement
(5) To be able to do and to teach it well to others

mt2u77
04-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Depends on where you want to be on the mastery level:

(1) To know of or to have heard the concepts
(2) To know and really understand the concepts
(3) To be able to do them on your own very well
(4) To do them continuously very well over time and show improvement
(5) To be able to do and to teach it well to others

Level 2 snot rocketeer checking in.:) I have very little concern for technique-- don't care as long as it gets out of my nose. Usually I just turn my head to the side and blast double-barrel style. Hands stay on the bars with as little disruption to riding as possible.

C40_guy
04-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Level 2 snot rocketeer checking in.:) I have very little concern for technique-- don't care as long as it gets out of my nose. Usually I just turn my head to the side and blast double-barrel style. Hands stay on the bars with as little disruption to riding as possible.

If you want to get to level 4, you will need to understand the physics behind the single barrel approach. Empirically, it's much more effective than the double barrel.

Not sure the physics transfer over to farting and belching, which, individually, are single barreled. Together, hmmm...

dddd
04-09-2019, 03:54 PM
Well, there's firstly the actual blowing technique to master, but there is also the consideration of whether it's the firmer material that was already in the front part your nostrils pre-ride.
The "solid" stuff readily hydrates during a ride in all but the driest air, but can be the trickiest to deal with in terms of getting a one-shot dislodgement. Up in the tip of one's nose can reside stubborn boogers.
So better to inspect nostrils pre-ride, perhaps using a pen-light and tweezers and/or hankie, in front of a mirror.
With that out of the way, the usual runny nose while riding can be dealt with in a much less-messy/inconsistent way, even without a tissue.

Something about cold-weather riding. I think it was somewhere between shoveling snow and playing hockey as a teenager in NY that taught me solid rocket technique.

C40_guy
04-09-2019, 08:23 PM
...there is also the consideration of whether it's the firmer material that was already in the front part your nostrils pre-ride.
The "solid" stuff readily hydrates during a ride in all but the driest air, but can be the trickiest to deal with in terms of getting a one-shot dislodgement. Up in the tip of one's nose can reside stubborn boogers.
So better to inspect nostrils pre-ride, perhaps using a pen-light and tweezers and/or hankie, in front of a mirror.

tmi :)

2LeftCleats
04-10-2019, 06:55 AM
Kinda surprised the helmet and sunglasses manufacturers haven’t discovered this need. Incorporate an aero sneeze shied/trough. Carbon fiber of course, with ultrafiltration/purification/recycling of the snot into an attached water bottle.

Or just blow it into your glove.

dddd
04-10-2019, 01:41 PM
...Or just blow it into your glove.

Then what?

2LeftCleats
04-10-2019, 03:02 PM
Wipe it on your bibs (or shorts if you prefer).

BikeNY
04-10-2019, 03:06 PM
There are definitely right and wrong techniques for snot rockets. I've already identified 2 posters with poor technique that need more practice!

Well. To evacuate the contents of the left nostril you place your right thumb on the right side of your nose to close the right nostril. Make sure your fingers are pointing up. The trick is to launch the left nostril to the right side of the bike by tilting your head to the left. Commit to the launch. Believe to achieve. Opposite for the right nostril. 👃🏻

That is proper technique right there, well said!

Left thumb blocks right nostril and other way ‘round. Raise your head up and turn it back over your shoulder, then let fly. Wipe any left over on your jersey sleeve. Now you’re ridin’ like a man. :banana:

NO! How do get your left thumb to block your right nostril??? That puts your left arm right in the line of fire! Left thumb blocks left nostril.

Not a very effective technique! First, you only get 1/2 the force through each nostril, severely limiting velocity and distance. Also, when one side is more clogged than the other, the air takes the path of least resistance through the freer nostril, leaving the other one still clogged.

HenryA
04-10-2019, 04:13 PM
There are definitely right and wrong techniques for snot rockets. I've already identified 2 posters with poor technique that need more practice!

NO! How do get your left thumb to block your right nostril??? That puts your left arm right in the line of fire! Left thumb blocks left nostril.

Snipped a bunch out....

Nope, sorry.
I can hit across the yellow line of traffic on a snotty day using this method. And never a speck on me. Doing it my way keeps your arm in close to your body which helps with balance. Raisning your head gets the aiming done. Do I have to make a video to show you?

Irishgirl
04-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Maybe should have watched this first [emoji848]

https://youtu.be/58hBIWUIvEA

dddd
04-11-2019, 10:33 AM
Nope, sorry.
I can hit across the yellow line of traffic on a snotty day using this method. And never a speck on me. Doing it my way keeps your arm in close to your body which helps with balance. Raisning your head gets the aiming done. Do I have to make a video to show you?

HenryA is right about his method being much smoother and more balanced while riding.

But as far as "never" getting a speck on one's face, glasses or jersey, I'm inclined to say you can never fully trust a flying stream of snot.

dddd
04-11-2019, 10:42 AM
Maybe should have watched this first [emoji848]

https://youtu.be/58hBIWUIvEA...

I agree with the video that it's important not to ever be seen rocketing outside of the context of the sporting side of cycling, when one appears to be in physical distress and/or without choices.
Doing the rocket while commuting in civilized urban/suburban environments is likely to be seen as disgusting when viewed by the general public, so seems important that the habit not become too automatic.

HenryA
04-11-2019, 11:49 AM
HenryA is right about his method being much smoother and more balanced while riding.

But as far as "never" getting a speck on one's face, glasses or jersey, I'm inclined to say you can never fully trust a flying stream of snot.

Specks can mean lots of things. Its all relative. If you stop somewhere and someone asks you “did an eagle poop on your shoulder”? Then that is definitely more than a speck. Anything short of that just isn’t.