PDA

View Full Version : Commuting on Tubeless?

SuperColnago
04-07-2019, 09:47 PM
Anyone commuting on tubeless?
How do you deal with flats?
New to tubeless, share your wisdom thanks!

joosttx
04-07-2019, 10:06 PM
Dynaplug

http://www.dynaplug.com

Is the answer

Or just carry a tube and put it in when you flat just like clinchers.

cardcatalog
04-08-2019, 01:36 AM
Dynaplug

Is the answer

Dynaplug is really nice. I was out on a ride today, cut a sidewall on a tubeless tire, and a friend had a dynaplug thingy with him. It was a big cut, but the dynaplug held for a while... until I had to just put a tube in with a dollar bill to boot the tire. BUT had the cut not been so big (we actually had a couple plugs in there by the time I threw in the towel), I'm pretty sure the dynaplug would have been great.

R3awak3n
04-08-2019, 05:46 AM
I commutes with tubeless for a year. The good thing was that I had only 1 flat and that was at the end of the life of the tire. I then just put a tube and carried on.

Tubeless is actually pretty great for commuting. In NYC where streets are riddled with small glass, the sealant does its job fairly well.

clyde the point
04-08-2019, 05:53 AM
Every shift I work I am commuting on 650b WTB 47 tires. Nice cushy ride, cracks and holes aren't so scary in the dark. Lucky for have not noticed any punctures meaning they've either sealed or not happened. 40 psi makes for a nice compliant ride at my girth.

Likes2ridefar
04-08-2019, 10:37 AM
I do. I deal with flats like any other ride, I carry the stuff I need to fix it such as a tube and pump.

My only complaint is the tires leak more air usually and here in arizona the sealant dries quickly requiring more maintenance than a set it and forget tire such as the schwalbe marathon plus.

Jaybee
04-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Dynaplug

Is the answer

This is my answer as well. I carry a tube in my commuting kit in case the hole refuses to plug, but I've never had that experience yet. In fact, I should probably replace the tube in that saddle bag. It's been there for 3 years.

EB
04-08-2019, 11:15 AM
I will never go back to commuting in the SF Bay Area without high volume tubeless tires (38mm or larger). Once I switched, I've had a couple of punctures over that time, but nothing that the sealant couldn't fix within 30 seconds.

This is compared to a flat roughly every couple of months with various tubed 25 and 28mm tires. Even the Conti 4Seasons I tried would flat when challenged with San Francisco's streets of broken glass, and let's face it - life is too short to commute on German tires. ;)

I do carry a couple of dynaplugs and a small tube of Stans just in case, but I've never had to use them. Probably going to start carrying a 650b tube for peace of mind now that I'm riding on the Compass Switchback Hill ELs.

Ken Robb
04-08-2019, 12:53 PM
When referring to "sealant" is stuff that goes in the tire at the initial inflation or something that is added after a puncture is detected?

It seems to me that I'd rather install a tube roadside if my tubeless tire got a puncture than carry a puncture repair kit that might not be able to deal with as big a cut as the old dollar bill boot and tube install trick. Obviously I have no experience with tubeless except on cars and motorcycles where I did use plug kits successfully.

bigbill
04-08-2019, 01:09 PM
I do. I deal with flats like any other ride, I carry the stuff I need to fix it such as a tube and pump.

My only complaint is the tires leak more air usually and here in arizona the sealant dries quickly requiring more maintenance than a set it and forget tire such as the schwalbe marathon plus.

If you haven't tried it, I switched to Orange Seal from Stan's late last year. It seems to last longer between adds.

sparky33
04-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Sealant is added at the initial inflation. It just sloshes around in there. You add a couple ounces every few months or so as the old sealant dries up.
When referring to "sealant" is stuff that goes in the tire at the initial inflation or something that is added after a puncture is detected?

How often are you getting large cuts?
Sealant works on most ordinary punctures. The Dynaplug works for bigger punctures. You could carry a tube and boot if you want extra disaster insurance, at least until you get familiar with tubelessness.
It seems to me that I'd rather install a tube roadside if my tubeless tire got a puncture than carry a puncture repair kit that might not be able to deal with as big a cut as the old dollar bill boot and tube install trick. Obviously I have no experience with tubeless except on cars and motorcycles where I did use plug kits successfully.

Skenry
04-09-2019, 09:06 AM
Anyone commuting on tubeless?
How do you deal with flats?
New to tubeless, share your wisdom thanks!

Most of my bikes are tubeless, even my commuter. Still only run tubes in a race bike and in the antique vintage steel.

I deal with flats by running tubeless. Pump them up (maybe once a week) and ride. The point of tubeless is to seal punctures before you flat.

As others have said, Orange Seal is the way to go. I started with Stan's and while it wasn't bad, OS stays liquid longer and seals faster. You can absolutely bring a spare tube if you aren't comfortable, but I haven't used mine in years.

SuperColnago
04-11-2019, 06:35 AM
Hey thanks to all, great wisdom. I bought RJ’s SOMA Triple Cross, will work in the fit with a few commutes, IF the snow ever disappears up here in Ottawa, Canada. Should be 15C insteand -5C, and 10cm snow yesterday....uuugh.
I’ll add some sealant and carry a plug kit....
Just can’t wrap my head around no tubes yet lol!!
I’m Old and biased, you could say old bias-ply tires LOL!
Stay upright

Ken Robb
04-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Can a person run with sealant inside a tube if he doesn't want to go tubeless? I think some folks did that on mtn. bikes in days of yore. :-)

Jaybee
04-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Can a person run with sealant inside a tube if he doesn't want to go tubeless? I think some folks did that on mtn. bikes in days of yore. :-)

Yes!

I grew up in Southern NM and Arizona. Sealant (usually green Slime) was a necessity if you didn't want to go through 2-3 tubes/ride. Tubeless has been a game changer if you ride where there are pointy plants.

Bostic
04-11-2019, 10:06 AM
If you get a flat that the sealant can't fill and you need to place an inner tube in, does that stuff get all over the place during the process?

Likes2ridefar
04-11-2019, 10:21 AM
I will never go back to commuting in the SF Bay Area without high volume tubeless tires (38mm or larger). Once I switched, I've had a couple of punctures over that time, but nothing that the sealant couldn't fix within 30 seconds.

This is compared to a flat roughly every couple of months with various tubed 25 and 28mm tires. Even the Conti 4Seasons I tried would flat when challenged with San Francisco's streets of broken glass, and let's face it - life is too short to commute on German tires. ;)

I do carry a couple of dynaplugs and a small tube of Stans just in case, but I've never had to use them. Probably going to start carrying a 650b tube for peace of mind now that I'm riding on the Compass Switchback Hill ELs.

If you get a flat that the sealant can't fill and you need to place an inner tube in, does that stuff get all over the place during the process?

It can be messy. I’ve had leaks fixed while riding and get the crud all over my frame. If not known or addressed soon it can be a hassle to get off and acts like a dirt magnet.

The flats I’ve had it couldn’t fix, yep it’s messy. I keep a pair of park tool mechanic gloves in my bag for that with a half sheet of paper towel to wipe the tire. The two stuffed in my small saddle bag add next to no weight or volume.

mtechnica
04-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Apparently it’s not advisable but I’ve tried it as an experiment since I kept getting flats from tiny pieces of crap. There have been a few days when I’ve rolled into work and I’ve seen some sealant splashed on the frame but no flats, so I’m pretty sure it works. Possible downside is if you do flat and put in a tube, there will be 100 pieces of crap still in the tread that will flat the tube so I’m worried it might basically ruin the tire in the long run.

Mark McM
04-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Apparently it’s not advisable but I’ve tried it as an experiment since I kept getting flats from tiny pieces of crap. There have been a few days when I’ve rolled into work and I’ve seen some sealant splashed on the frame but no flats, so I’m pretty sure it works. Possible downside is if you do flat and put in a tube, there will be 100 pieces of crap still in the tread that will flat the tube so I’m worried it might basically ruin the tire in the long run.

Sealant was invented before the tubeless tire was invented, and it was originally designed for use inner tubes. In fact, you can buy inner tubes with the sealant already in it:

https://shop.slime.com/collections/self-sealing-bicycle-tubes

I haven't tried these, so I can't vouch for how well they work.

mtechnica
04-11-2019, 12:08 PM
I used Stan’s, the issue is that if the sealant goes between the tube and tire it might not seal versus it going directly into the air from inside the tread, that’s why some people say it won’t work in tubes.

Ken Robb
04-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Sealant was invented before the tubeless tire was invented, and it was originally designed for use inner tubes. In fact, you can buy inner tubes with the sealant already in it:

https://shop.slime.com/collections/self-sealing-bicycle-tubes

I haven't tried these, so I can't vouch for how well they work.

Thanks, Slime is what I was remembering---in a hazy senior citizen kind of way. :)

FR8CAR
04-11-2019, 01:48 PM
Another successful tubeless commuter, both trail and urban. Usually 28mm Pro Ones with OS though I'll go bigger and use a gravel tire in the winter. I carry a spare tube. Also switched from Stans.

PaMtbRider
04-11-2019, 01:49 PM
For those of you using dynaplug which kit did you get? They have a couple different options for bicycles.
What are you using to reinflate, co2, mini pump, both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperColnago
04-12-2019, 10:18 AM
How do you know when you need to refil? Time-based or ?
If you haven't tried it, I switched to Orange Seal from Stan's late last year. It seems to last longer between adds.

Jaybee
04-12-2019, 10:20 AM
How do you know when you need to refil? Time-based or ?

shake the wheel - if you don't hear a little bit of sloshing, time to add an ounce or two.

Jeckel30
04-12-2019, 10:21 AM
I commute on 43cm Gravelking Sk running tubeless on my Breezeer. It has been great and I don’t think I will be going back to tubes.

SuperColnago
04-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Ack thanks!
shake the wheel - if you don't hear a little bit of sloshing, time to add an ounce or two.

SuperColnago
04-12-2019, 04:48 PM
Good Im on Gravelkings
I commute on 43cm Gravelking Sk running tubeless on my Breezeer. It has been great and I don’t think I will be going back to tubes.

rkhatibi
04-13-2019, 12:06 PM
Another SF commuter on tubeless 35c or larger. Do we have a club yet? Am I behind in dues?

Similar story to others. Lots of flats on 28. Switched to larger tires and tubeless. No problems for the last two years. My commute is a couple of miles and alongside public transit so don't bother with tubes though didn't know about dynplugs. Those look useful and about the level of hassle I'd want to deal with on a commute

Recently I rode for a month with a gash in the tread. Every time I hit a pot hole just wrong, would break the sealant, I'd lose 5 psi, and then seal right back up. Didn't even know I had the problem till the third time I found sealant on the frame. Could push an m8 allen through the hole.