PDA

View Full Version : Ebay SPD-SL cleats?

zennmotion
04-06-2019, 01:13 PM
It's been a long time since I've bought new road cleats since I ride MTB pedals 90% of the time, but I'm feeling frisky, bought some new road Sidis and Ultegra pedals for my carbon bike. I'm shocked, SHOCKED at the $30 msrp of genuine Shimano cleats for a couple of plastic triangles and 4 bolts/washers. Predictably, knockoffs can be found in the usual bottom feed sources for a fraction of the cost. I wouldn't go anywhere near these places for anything carbon and weight bearing, but how risky for the cleats, plastic is plastic- right?
FWIW, I still do some lively group rides on the road but my days of sprinting and pedaling in anger with a number pinned on are over. I can't remember the last time I popped out of my crank bros cleats and those are much less secure than SPD-SL's. Blue no-name cleats for 10 bucks? Should I check my dental insurance first?

rnhood
04-06-2019, 01:29 PM
I buy them and haven't had any issues. In fact most of the time, then send Shimano cleats. Aliexpress is another cheap source. I get about 5 or 6 months out of a pair, which is about 6k miles. I walk where ever I want to walk in them, and don't baby them. They are relatively cheap through outlets like ebay and AE, so I keep a couple spares on hand (just like with chains). I like SPD pedals and cleats too, and wear them when I'm touring, but on my road bike nothing is better than SPD-SL imho.

zennmotion
04-06-2019, 04:26 PM
I buy them and haven't had any issues. In fact most of the time, then send Shimano cleats. Aliexpress is another cheap source. I get about 5 or 6 months out of a pair, which is about 6k miles. I walk where ever I want to walk in them, and don't baby them. They are relatively cheap through outlets like ebay and AE, so I keep a couple spares on hand (just like with chains). I like SPD pedals and cleats too, and wear them when I'm touring, but on my road bike nothing is better than SPD-SL imho.

Thanks, $2.99 may be too good to be true, we'll see if I'm smug or stupid. I'm sure not putting my actual phone number in the order though, someone else may be getting scam calls from China soon.

zmalwo
04-06-2019, 04:46 PM
I used those fake shimano spd sl cleats extensively the past summer and I gotta tell you that they do not last AT ALL. The real ones can be found for less than $10 on various cycling sites but you just have to make sure to spend their minimum free shipping amount to enjoy that price. a few of those + a tire will easily bring your cart up to most of cycling site's free shipping threshold. I'm 100% confident to say that the amount of those $2.99 fake ones you need to last as long as the real ones will out cost you than buying a pair of real shimano spd sl cleats. I had to change them every few rides because the fake ones are so soft and most of the times the colored bits falls off after 1 or 2 rides. get the real ones.

macaroon
04-06-2019, 04:48 PM
I've read stories about them snapping in two.