PDA

View Full Version : Tape between bare titanium and painted??

duff_duffy
04-06-2019, 12:40 AM
On a few Serotta’s I’ve owned there was tape separating the bare titanium part of tube from the painted part. Is that just regular automotive pinstripe tape or something special? Anyone have about 8 feet of it in white they’d want to sell?

tuscanyswe
04-06-2019, 02:37 AM
It can be any tape that sticks and can take some wear.
Its just there to protect the edge of the paint from chipping as the edge is more exposed than the rest of the paint. You can also take it off its not like it must be there. Just a higher risk of ..

ebsilon
04-06-2019, 03:05 AM
Hello [emoji3]

Scotchgard Pro

This film is the best. It is a professional film. I have used it for my Ducati and on my bikes.

You can buy it in small quantities here:

https://thetankslapper.biz/film/

Ciaooooooo

Moller

eddief
04-06-2019, 07:17 AM
often has a selection of "pin stripe" tape in common colors. not sure if that's what bike painters use but should do the job.

Zoomie80
04-06-2019, 07:26 AM
I used 1/8 inch pinstripe tape from auto parts store. Very durable, been on bike 10+ years. Went back recently and unfortunately and found very limited selection (size, colors).

Found some on Amazon.

johnmdesigner
04-06-2019, 07:45 AM
Do a search for 3M pinstripe tape. A million colors.
I also use it to finish my handlebar tape. Very durable.

thwart
04-06-2019, 11:54 AM
It can be any tape that sticks and can take some wear.
Its just there to protect the edge of the paint from chipping as the edge is more exposed than the rest of the paint. You can also take it off its not like it must be there. Just a higher risk of ..

This.

On my Hors de Categorie, with white panels (and black pinstripes) I removed the pinstripes, I liked the appearance better that way.

No paint damage ensued.

Hellgate
04-06-2019, 01:36 PM
My 333fab is paint to Ti. No problems so far, about 3,000 miles. Tape would be, well, not right...