PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Canopy and Aurora pot stocks

shankldu
04-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Given there ,high valuations etc.

MattTuck
04-05-2019, 09:21 AM
I haven't looked at the business model or financials in detail to say, but will offer a quick anecdote. Talked to a guy in the craft beer industry. The perception is that pot is an existential threat, and it is coming. They were actually remarking about how they would like to learn more about it, but that it is an awkward question to ask in a meeting, "who here can take the lead on pot?"

That said, there some seems to be some research that is finding more health risks associated with the modern high potency strains. You might be buying into the next Phillip Morris.

paredown
04-05-2019, 09:52 AM
I'm waiting for the millennials to discover that beer has a lot of calories and that excess drinking contributes to a myriad of health problems.

Then the craft brew industry will have its reckoning...

Meanwhile, the MedMen pot stores here look to be in trouble--the usual--partners saw cash coming in and decided that they "deserved" more stuff...

OTOH, my pal who does retail build-outs tells me that there are a lot of people interested in getting in on the ground floor--chain store style--with a pot store in every mall.

Then we'll find out that smoking pot (or consuming edibles) is actually not good for our health, and there will be a shakeout.

Capitalism--creative destruction said Schumpeter.

In between, there's an opportunity for someone to make some money...

eddief
04-05-2019, 10:00 AM
I understand it is way diluted due to all the M & A they have done using shares. But OMFG are they growing a huge amount of weed in giant automated robotic greenhouses. I acknowledge the degree to which this a speculative play...but where will the industry be in 5 years...can we imagine?

Right here in Santa Rosa, the city is permitting dispensaries as fast as they can and creating town identity with wine, beer, weed! Can you say "mainstream?"

The quickest uptick potential is for Aurora to partner with a giant, deep pockets corporation willing jump in and ensure success. Canopy and a couple of others already have partners, so their future seems a bit more certain.

Wanna speculate some more? Check out a company called CO2 Grow, Inc. I have read everything in sight about it and it sounds really good but maybe too good to be true.

redir
04-05-2019, 10:02 AM
I was wondering the same thing a while back and let it slide. I do want to start thinking about it again though.

eddief
04-05-2019, 10:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odMBQr_oamk

When I first saw this vid my jaw dropped.

I prefer liquor myself.

wc1934
04-05-2019, 10:39 AM

I prefer liquor myself.

Aurora Sky - good name for a cycling team? - haha

Ralph
04-05-2019, 10:51 AM
I think I've already missed the easy money.

redir
04-05-2019, 01:23 PM

I prefer liquor myself.

Wow that is an impressive operation. I bet it smells amazing in that grow room too.