PDA

View Full Version : eBay - Buy, Sell, or combined accounts?

NYCfixie
04-05-2019, 06:44 AM
When I started on eBay/PayPal so many years ago, I setup both a "buy" and "sell" accounts. I thought it made sense in case I needed to flip something I bought, I did not want people to know how much I paid for it. Now that eBay is mostly filled with commercial businesses I am thinking about combining my accounts so I do not have to maintain: 2 eBay accounts, 2 PayPal accounts, and 2 extra email accounts. It is not like it is so much work but since I do not use them as much anymore and I am trying to simplify everything in my life I thought it made sense.

What do you do for your eBay Buy and Sell?
How many accounts do you maintain?
What are the Pros and Cons to combining my Buy and Sell accounts which each only have about 100 transactions?

unterhausen
04-05-2019, 06:53 AM
I don't sell enough on there to need a second account. Unless you are such a bad buyer that it hurts your reputation as a seller, then having one account would be fine

NYCfixie
04-05-2019, 07:17 AM
I don't sell enough on there to need a second account. Unless you are such a bad buyer that it hurts your reputation as a seller, then having one account would be fine

perfect ratings in each account currently.

happycampyer
04-05-2019, 07:20 AM
Not sure how having two accounts prevents someone from seeing how much you paid for something, as long as the item shows up in a sold/completed listing search. I don’t know about others, but when I do a sold listing search it’s for price discovery—I’m not digging further to see if I can figure out whether the seller of an item previously purchased it on ebay at a lower price. Are/were you selling rare/expensive items that have unique identifying characteristics, e.g., serial numbers, and/or where there is a unique cohort of buyers and sellers who might care if someone is flipping an item?

Seems like an excessively complicated arrangement to me.

unterhausen
04-05-2019, 07:39 AM
when I bid or sell, I look at completed listings, so if someone was flipping I would consider not buying because another one will show up at their purchase price. I don't really care who the flipper was, I'm probably not buying from them.

perfect ratings in each account currently.your buyer account has no feedback related to selling. If your seller account has a lot of feedback, I think I would keep it. Otherwise, I do really like to stay logged in to my ebay account, even though I don't use it that much. So switching would be annoying to me.

C40_guy
04-05-2019, 08:09 AM
I also have separate buy/sell ebay accounts.

To keep things simple, I stay signed in to each account on separate browsers (Firefox, Chrome) so that I don't have to log in/out. When I'm buying, I typically use esnipe anyway, although lately I've done more BIN when buying...and selling too...

There is no reason, however, to maintain two separate paypal accounts.