PDA

View Full Version : My trip home, and my race in Plymouth--report.

shinomaster
12-01-2006, 02:05 AM
Well, it has been almost a week since I returned home from the right coast, and what a time I had! Well.....kinda..
Sadly, the reason for my sudden trip wasn't the best. My mom had another mini stroke this September. She isn't that old, but she does smoke, and drink too much coffee, and is a bit too stressed, over-worked, and over-over-tired. What a great combination!
I was worried I wouldn't see her again so I booked a flight as soon as I could. I noticed that I would miss the Portland Cyclocross Grand Prix while away so I schemed a way to get a race or two in by bringing my Fuji. What was to loose? I mean what could Nortwest Airlines do to my bike that I haven't done in a race?
The trip started off great. I have a really common name like " Jim Smith" and guess what? At the airport the Feds are looking for a guy with my name! Great..I love Homeland Security. I also had to pay bucks to take my bike on the plane when they said the opposit on the phone when I called.. Great..
I got there in one piece and so did my bike ( I got a great bike box from Vanilla). I always feel like I cheat death when I fly.
My mom works in Cambridge off Brattle street among the mansions. What a nice place. The weather was warm and beautiful. I visited my cousins bike shop on Mass ave, and my best buddy Rustem (my sponsor) at Quad Cycles. He was super swell, and he has a pretty cool shop with a nice mix of stuff. I got some new racing clothes too. I guess Tom Kellog was going to be there the next day but I couldn't get back.
Most of the time I was there I helped my mom do things around her new house like paint, move heavy boxes, hang artwork and sort out stupid pottery I made in college. It seemed to make her very happy.
I must say the highlight for me was going to Plymouth with my lil' Mum and getting to race with my old best buddy John. My mom has never seen me "race" and so for a proud parent this was a treat. There, I quickly met a friendly Bruce K who introduced me to 92 Degrees and Zank. What a bunch of nice guys! Just when I was starting to think New Englanders were a bunch of A-holes, these fine men proved me wrong.
Zank was so super friendy and a fast racer to boot. He gave me some treats and prizes! The race was only 30 minutes, which made it harder than my usual 45 minutes of racing hell, because I usually just start to pass people after that amount of time and feel better, while others seem to get tired..The race was more smooth and fast than any I have done in Portland. It was like racing on a golf course. Some people asked me what was different about racing in Portland, and I have to say that our races seem more technical, muddy with more people and mayhem, and debauchery, and drinking. An now it would seem we have naked people in Hot tubs so there you have it. This was the first race I did where there was so much drafting. My friend John beat me by two places!! GRRRR...I told him if the race was longer I would have caught him..(he is the guy getting mad air over the barrier)
Bruce took some pix but I haven't seem them? My mom was worried because I looked so MP...like I was constipated or something.
After the race I met Fstrthnu. He was uber- cool in his Ray Bans, and softspoken and friendly, and seemed genuinly pleased to meet me. Everyone was so nice to me, even though I'm just an *** clown from Portland. I am gonna try to come back next year and do a few more races. This time I was just too exhaused from traveling and racing in Portland to do the Lowell race. I was super bummed about that, but really I was there to help out my mom, not race my toy bicycle.
After an insane feast of Turkish food and turky, the trip was pretty much over. And now I'm back home again toiling away for the man.
And last...I can't believe William and his big effin cross bike was a no show!! dude you can race cross in sneakers and bmx pedals!
I think I met the Jerk, but I'm not sure (I'm not sure if he is either) and next time I hope to meet more peeps like Stevep, and BBDAVE (maybe) ATMO etc...and thanks to everyone who made me feel so welcome in Plymouth. (sorry for the long post)
Happy holidays,

much love,

Shinomaster :banana: :beer:

oracle
12-01-2006, 02:59 AM
nice write up of your n.e. experience, shino! i was of course in portland whilst you were racing.......... best wishes to your mom, btw.

shinomaster
12-01-2006, 03:13 AM
nice write up of your n.e. experience, shino! i was of course in portland whilst you were racing.......... best wishes to your mom, btw.

Thanks a lot! It figures you were there...how was it? which race did you do? :banana:

stevep
12-01-2006, 05:54 AM
and dont come back.
ne attitude.

William
12-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Shino,

I am genuinely sorry I missed you. Next time you're here, or I'm in Portland, I'm hunting you down. :)

Best regards,
William

zank
12-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Shino-dude, it was great seeing you and meeting your family. Next time we see each other, I hope it is out in Portland! I wantto see the hot tube first hand. Although I heard that Sacha was trying to figure out how to fly it out to PVD for natz. That crazy kid.

Bruce K
12-01-2006, 07:26 AM
NO PICS!!! :argue:

Go back and look at the thread I posted.

Glad you had fun. :banana:

I'll try to retrieve the photos and e-mail them to you as well.

BK

Kevan
12-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Shino,

I am genuinely sorry I missed you. Next time you're here, or I'm in Portland, I'm hunting you down. :) Best regards, William

He WILL hunt you down.

shinomaster
12-01-2006, 12:20 PM
NO PICS!!! :argue:

Go back and look at the thread I posted.

Glad you had fun. :banana:

I'll try to retrieve the photos and e-mail them to you as well.

BK

Where? I didn't have a computer for two weeks in Boston imho!