PDA

View Full Version : can't trim a frog

Ken Robb
05-05-2004, 02:23 PM
We are having a heat wave in San Diego so Monday I got home about 6PM and jumped on my "No Worries" bike-Rivendell Allrounder w/friction barend sworking Ultegra Triple and Deore XT 11-34 7spd, Schmidt Dynohub light and headed down to Mission Bay for a ride to Sportsman Seafood for BIG ahi sandwich and Stone Pale Ale while watching the sunset. This is about 25 miles depending onwhether I follow the shoreline paths or the roads. Beautiful sunset, full moon, life is good. I'm riding alongside Rose Creek and notice some ugly creaking that no amount of derailer trimming will cure. I don't ride there much at night so it took me awhile to realize the noise was from the fogs who were enjoying the night as much as I was. D'oh!! followed by slap of forehead.

rePhil
05-05-2004, 06:36 PM
I have GREAT memories of San Diego. Mission Bay, Pacific Beach and on and on.I have taken many a photo on Mission Bay near Sea World.
My very first real adult ride was on a borrowed Cannondale from Mission Beach and around PB. Toe clips, shorts and a t shirt. One short ride and I was forever hooked.It was the first year Cannondale came to market and it went with it's female owner for a ride across Austrailia soon after.
I often wonder what my life would be like if I ended up in California instead of Florida.

davids
05-06-2004, 08:32 AM
When I read your subject line, I though "Can't Trim a Frog" was some quaint old homespun expression from some obscure corner of the rural USA, circa 1920, the meaning of which would be clear to everyone but me... Or some way-too-clever pun, like, "You can tune a piano, but..."

Now I get it!

Ken Robb
05-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Since some of you know the area you can appreciate my comment about following the paths along the shore. Mission Bay has a lot of irregularity to its shoreline and there are paved paths for walking, skating, and biking that follow it closely.In the middle of a summer afternoon you wouldn'twant to ride them because of the heavy foot traffic and the danger of running into a lamp post while staring at some athletic blader in a bikini. The rest of the year I often take this scenic route. The paths have lots of curves and that's more fun for me than hammering on the straights. Lots of places to fill water bottles, buy ice cream, have lunch, etc. I'm a lucky guy.