PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running different size tires on their gravel bikes?

XXtwindad
04-03-2019, 09:35 PM
I used to really run a larger Nobby Nic in front and a smaller width Racing Ralph in back on my MTB.

Anyone doing something similar on their gravel steed? Both my gravel bikes are a little tight in back. The Riddler 37c seems like it would be the best option in the rear. Contemplating the 40c Nano in front. Most of my rides are on fire roads and doubletrack.

Anyone have a similar combination?

The 37c Riddlers got "best all-around" according to Gran Fondo magazine:

https://granfondo-cycling.com/the-best-gravel-tire/

kingpin75s
04-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Yep. Before I had a bike built with enough clearance to run 43c front and rear, I would just run cross bikes for gravel and generally I could only fit a 35c in back and 40c up from. Clement MSO 40c up front and USH 35c in rear. Just enough up front to bomb the hills and 35c held up fine in back.

Burning Pines
04-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Seems like a good idea. Personally I hate the nano as a front tire though. No cornering knobs meant I had more wipe outs than with any other front tire ever off road. Fine as a rear tho.

bigbill
04-03-2019, 11:08 PM
Yes, because of all the washes here in the AZ desert. I'd rather hit a patch of sand with a wider/bigger tire in the front to keep from losing the front end. I like Gravel Kings but Riddlers were good as well.

Jaybee
04-04-2019, 08:13 AM
This totally works in the dirt, though you typically want a little bit of side knob on your higher volume front tire and your low resistance fast roller in the back.

I haven’t ever pushed the 40mm Nanos hard enough to wash, but it was a frequent occurrence when 29x2.1 Nano was one of the only 29er tires available. For a gravel bike, I’d accept the occcasional corner being less than max shreddy in exchange for rolling resistance. But I wouldn’t want a grippier front than back.

If you are keeping it in the WTB family (and these are good tires, so why not?), I’d go something like 45 Riddler/37 Riddler, or 42 Resolute/40 Nano.

sparky33
04-04-2019, 08:28 AM
Different size and tread tires is fine. Just don't mix tanwalls with blackwalls.

http://ridinggravel.com for more thoughtful reviews on most gravel tires.

I like the Resolute where it fits.

Jad
04-04-2019, 08:40 AM
I also used to use my lower clearance CX bike for dirt road racing, etc. I used a Michelin Jet 30mm in the back with a Clement LAS 33mm in the front.

One thing I wonder about is height difference between tires. I know this depends on tires and wheels, but there must be some height differences across tires of somewhat considerable different widths.

onetwentyeight
04-04-2019, 08:44 AM
Slacker angles are better if you're plowing through the rough stuff anyway, so bigger in the front is nice.

Another vote for the resolute as a good grippy tire for those who like to ride fast and loose.

I mix tires all the time on my MTB, and gravel is basically the same scaled down so I see no problems using different tires front/rear.

Nano is a good tire fort hose whose rides are really "mixed surface" and want a good high volume tire that doesnt get squirmy on pavement cornering. But as mentioned, that means it lacks in dirt cornering grip. Everything in cycling is a compromise somewhere.

Mzilliox
04-04-2019, 08:57 AM
ill have to experiment with this. seems like it would feel weird when you are in more of the road mode

benb
04-04-2019, 09:27 AM
I've done this in MTB before but I hadn't though to try it on my gravel bike.. it is a great idea.

That front wheel washing into deep sand is about the worse thing that can happen so anything to protect it is a great idea.

I had to dab Sunday running into this exact same scenario, my fit is pretty good so the slide was easy to control and I didn't crash or have to walk but it's not fun, it really brings your forward progress to a halt.

MTB fit/geo seems to protect against it a lot more than gravel fit.. maybe I'll give the bigger tire a try. My particular bike handles better the bigger the tires are on it too.

I am debating about which stem to run right now too, I have the longer of the two stems on right now, the shorter stem would probably help with this issue as well. I've kind of had a habit of going back and forth.

TheseGoTo11
04-04-2019, 11:11 AM
I ran a 650bx48 front with a 42mm rear on my cross bike last summer and was pretty pleased with that setup. Didn't have room for the 48 in back, but still got the little extra footprint/cushion up front with this combo. Compass Switchback Hill.

jfranci3
04-04-2019, 04:00 PM
There's much bigger jumps in gravel tire vs road tire sizes. I ran a 43 GK front and 38mm rear (because the 43 rubbed), and you definitely felt it. They floated on soft surfaces differently, tracked corners differently, and handled bumps in corners differently. I now have a 35f/38r and it is not as bad but the same deal. Not dangerous, just not ideal.

hobbanero
04-04-2019, 05:35 PM
On my old Crux I can't fit a 40mm tire in the back with mud clearance, so I use a 37mm WTB Riddler. Up front, I run a 40mm WTB Nano....mostly for the extra grip of its tread, but the extra volume is also nice. On my mtb, like many, I run a more aggressive tire on the front. On my road bike, I go the opposite way, running a 26 on the front for aerodynamics (hardly narrow, btw) and a 28 on the back for a bit more cush.

Hilltopperny
04-05-2019, 04:29 AM
Before Gravel bikes were a big thing I built up an old Cannondale ST700 with a steel fork. I ran 35mm rear and 42mm front Conti cyclo x kings. They worked great at the time.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk