PDA

View Full Version : 56 sized head folks - what's your helmet?

MagicHour
04-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Shopping for a new helmet, my 56cm dome puts me in a weird place - head too big for a SM, but some Ms verge on looking a little big despite technically 'fitting'. Want to get MIPs, so Kask, Met are out. Most M size ranges are 55-59 or 56-59. What model/size you rocking?

So far I've tried a Bell Z20 M, Bontrager Wavecel Specter S, M, Giro Foray M, Met Strale M.

Who makes a Medium that runs 'small'? (or alternatively a huge size Small)

bart998
04-02-2019, 04:41 PM
I've found that it depends more on the shape of your head. Some brands favor rounder heads, while others favor oval shaped melons like mine. I really like my Kask Valegro.

MagicHour
04-02-2019, 05:01 PM
I guess I'm sorta in the middle then - have worn Bell and Giro in the past without issue. Anyway I'm not so much having trouble with comfort issues at least for size Mediums, more of a vanity issue.

https://outdoorgearlab-mvnab3pwrvp3t0.stackpathdns.com/photos/11/83/239779_10570_L.jpg

charliedid
04-02-2019, 05:09 PM
I'm a M in Kask but I'd say my Mojito is a bit larger fitting and seems a bit more round than my protone. Both fit but it's more work to get comfy with a thicker hat in the Protone. I like em both but for summer the protone wins out for me.

zennmotion
04-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Shopping for a new helmet, my 56cm dome puts me in a weird place - head too big for a SM, but some Ms verge on looking a little big despite technically 'fitting'. Want to get MIPs, so Kask, Met are out. Most M size ranges are 55-59 or 56-59. What model/size you rocking?

So far I've tried a Bell Z20 M, Bontrager Wavecel Specter S, M, Giro Foray M, Met Strale M.

Who makes a Medium that runs 'small'? (or alternatively a huge size Small)

Same head size, my Giro Savant/MIPS (medium) fits nicely. I also have a much more expensive POC that fits also but not as well, I wear it for commuting (because, safety orange) The Savant is not very expensive so you might dismiss as "cheap", but I think helmet pricing and helmet quality don't align very accurately. Good safety rating from Virgina Tech especially for the price.

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

MagicHour
04-02-2019, 05:25 PM
Thanks - yeah I tried a lower end Kask model and Med was definitely my size but unfortunately helmet had other issues. The PRotone looks really nice, but I do kinda wanna try MIPS for this purchase.

I'm a M in Kask but I'd say my Mojito is a bit larger fitting and seems a bit more round than my protone. Both fit but it's more work to get comfy with a thicker hat in the Protone. I like em both but for summer the protone wins out for me.

My Foray M (non MIPS version) fits ok, and I don't mind the looks, not the greatest for sweat management though, and the pads are kinda crap. I'll take a look at the Savant. The Synthe is also an option.

Same head size, my Giro Savant/MIPS (medium) fits nicely. I also have a much more expensive POC that fits also but not as well, I wear it for commuting (because, safety orange) The Savant is not very expensive so you might discount as "cheap", but I think helmet pricing and helmet quality don't align very accurately. Good safety rating from Virgina Tech especially for the price.

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

Peter P.
04-02-2019, 06:23 PM
I ran into the exact same dilemma this past fall, as MagicHour. I agree with what he said about the size crossover of the various brands-they fit but then they don't.

I was replacing a size M Bell. It fit my size 56 head well, but when riding in the drops, it just appeared at the top of my field of view, which I didn't like.

I vaguely recalled in the past having no such problem with a size S Bell, so I locally ordered a Z20, which I couldn't try on at the bike shop since they didn't have any.

The helmet fit fine if not just a tad snug if I loosened the ratchet mechanism completely, but once I put a skull cap or balaclava on, it was too tight.

I wore the helmet only 4x then sold it on eBay for 1/3 what I paid for it, learned my lesson, bought a size M, and will have to get used to that field of vision annoyance.

And the vanity thing-yeah; that's me, too!

MagicHour
04-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the commiseration. Yeah it's a shame the Bell Z20 is really nice and has some awesome features, if only it didn't look so bulbous on me :mad:

I ran into the exact same dilemma this past fall, as MagicHour. I agree with what he said about the size crossover of the various brands-they fit but then they don't.

I was replacing a size M Bell. It fit my size 56 head well, but when riding in the drops, it just appeared at the top of my field of view, which I didn't like.

I vaguely recalled in the past having no such problem with a size S Bell, so I locally ordered a Z20, which I couldn't try on at the bike shop since they didn't have any.

The helmet fit fine if not just a tad snug if I loosened the ratchet mechanism completely, but once I put a skull cap or balaclava on, it was too tight.

I wore the helmet only 4x then sold it on eBay for 1/3 what I paid for it, learned my lesson, bought a size M, and will have to get used to that field of vision annoyance.

And the vanity thing-yeah; that's me, too!

MagicHour
04-10-2019, 09:25 PM
UPDATE
Following up if anyone cares :p…ended up going with a Giro Foray MIPS. The fit just works. In fact, looks like they’ve used the same shell size as my old non-MIPS version, so with the added liner taking up some extra room, this one fits me even better - now I'm not cranked down all the way down on the adjustment dial. MIPS, 287gms for a M, road proven (for me) and <$70 what’s not to like?? Hopefully the ventilation is not worse than it's predecessor, but we’ll see.

So thanks for the replies.