PDA

View Full Version : Stan's Race sealant in valve?

nighthawk
04-02-2019, 11:38 AM
I have a quart of Stan's Race sealant that I was going to use on a tubeless setup, but reading the label it says it will clog if injected through the valve. eff.

Anyone defied the labeling and go this route anyways? The tire/rim combo is pretty tight, needed levers and soapy water to get the bead fully on... so injection through the valve seems like the less annoying way to go.

First time setting up tubeless, so be gentle.

Any thoughts?

R3awak3n
04-02-2019, 11:47 AM
Hmmm. What do they mean it will clog if injected through valve? Their own injector kit, which is what I use is made to inject through the valve. I have done it that way for years and never had it clog

the bottle ride
04-02-2019, 11:52 AM
I do it all the time- I have never seen that warning but every couple of years I have had a valve become super clogged that it did not work so well.

hmai18
04-02-2019, 11:53 AM
Stan's Race has more particulate matter in it to speed up sealing, which is why they caution about injecting through the valve. Worst case scenario is that you could probably clear any clogs with a pipecleaner or similar implement.

I set up mine by pouring Race sealant into the tire before seating the second bead and topping up later with the regular Stan's fluid if necessary through the valve.

nighthawk
04-02-2019, 11:59 AM
Hmmm. What do they mean it will clog if injected through valve? Their own injector kit, which is what I use is made to inject through the valve. I have done it that way for years and never had it clog

The injector itself and the quart of Race sealant both have warnings on the labels against using the Race sealant with the injector through the valve, suggesting it will clog. They have a regular tire sealant that isn't the "Race" product for going through the valve. I didn't realize it when I bought the Race stuff, so just trying to decide if my bike will explode if I try it.

nighthawk
04-02-2019, 12:02 PM
Stan's Race has more particulate matter in it to speed up sealing, which is why they caution about injecting through the valve. Worst case scenario is that you could probably clear any clogs with a pipecleaner or similar implement.

I set up mine by pouring Race sealant into the tire before seating the second bead and topping up later with the regular Stan's fluid if necessary through the valve.

True... being ready to clear out any clogs with a pipe cleaner seems smart if I'm going to shun the warning label.

And I could pour it into the tire before seating the bead, but it was such a pain to get it on the first time, I'd really rather not attempt it while a bunch of sealant is sloshing around.

nighthawk
04-02-2019, 12:04 PM
I do it all the time- I have never seen that warning but every couple of years I have had a valve become super clogged that it did not work so well.

And this is with the Race specific stuff?

I think I'm just going to do it. I'll probably survive. Maybe.

kppolich
04-02-2019, 12:08 PM
Race has bigger chunks of stuff in it, it is more likely to clog your valve core. It would be to your advantage to just pour it in the tire and save your valve core.

Lewis Moon
04-02-2019, 12:29 PM
I'm thinking Stan's is warning against injecting through the valve (I've seen this) rather than removing the valve core and squirting it into the valve tube or tire.

nmrt
04-02-2019, 12:29 PM
i used up a whole quart of Race by injecting it through the valve. nary a problem.

benb
04-02-2019, 01:07 PM
Same thing others have said... "through the valve" or "through the valve stem with the valve core removed" are two different things.

I've put it through the with the valve core removed for years, but I'm using the regular tire sealant.

You could go ride around the block with no sealant a few times if the tire holds air. After a little bit of riding the tires usually loosen up a little for me and it's easier to unseat/add sealant/reseat.

If the race sealant they want you to inspect every 2 weeks that'd be a deal breaker for me. I let the regular Stan's sealant go months, in > 10 years it's never let me down. If it's been perfect for me there is nowhere to go with the Race Sealant.

nighthawk
04-02-2019, 01:29 PM
Same thing others have said... "through the valve" or "through the valve stem with the valve core removed" are two different things.

I've put it through the with the valve core removed for years, but I'm using the regular tire sealant.

You could go ride around the block with no sealant a few times if the tire holds air. After a little bit of riding the tires usually loosen up a little for me and it's easier to unseat/add sealant/reseat.

If the race sealant they want you to inspect every 2 weeks that'd be a deal breaker for me. I let the regular Stan's sealant go months, in > 10 years it's never let me down. If it's been perfect for me there is nowhere to go with the Race Sealant.

Interesting, it didn't even occur to me to not remove the core. figured that was the only way to go.

Anyhow, I appreciate everyone's input. I'm just going to remove the core and inject through the stem. Thanks for allaying my fears.

mdeth1313
02-15-2021, 03:08 PM
Reviving an old thread - I just installed stan's race sealant through the valve stem (no valve). In using my injector, I realized it kind of defeats the purpose as the larger pieces in the race sealant will not be drawn into the injector. It looks as if some of those larger pieces would clog the valve stem WITHOUT the valve in there.

SlowPokePete
02-15-2021, 04:59 PM
After all my troubles with the Thunderburts, I installed GravelKing SB's 700x50's and used the Stan's Race Sealant, which I had never used before.

I have had zero issues with punctures in almost 500 miles, compared to multiple issues on every single ride with the TB's.

Is it the tires? Is it the Race sealant?

That I don't know.

But here's the thing...those GravelKings were the most difficult tires I have ever attempted to install ever, and I've used GK's lots of times.

Anyway, I (barely) managed to get the rear tire on with my usual method...leaving the bead open at the bottom and adding two scoops of sealant.

The front...by the time I finally got the tire on I was concerned about the amount of "spillage," so I attempted to add more of the Race sealant using the small Stan's bottle I keep on hand for topping off.

Nope...the Race Sealant would not go through the nipple of the small bottle.

I ended up adding more with the regular Stan's (with the small bottle through the valve stem) cause there was no way I was gonna take that tire off again.

Oh, and I bought a yet to be used tire bead jack for next time around.

SPP

Charles M
02-15-2021, 05:29 PM
Through the valve

is not

Through the valve stem.

SlowPokePete
02-15-2021, 05:51 PM
Through the valve

is not

Through the valve stem.

maybe you can explain this.

SPP

MikeD
02-15-2021, 07:40 PM
On the Stan's website for the Raceday sealant, it says "Must be poured directly into tire."

Chris(NJ)
02-16-2021, 06:32 AM
maybe you can explain this.

SPP

???
He's implying the valve "core", which is the same thing as "valve" and technically more accurate. The only other part to that piece would be the valve "stem" which is the thing that get's installed in the rim, and...well, that wouldn't fit the definition of a "valve".

SlowPokePete
02-16-2021, 06:55 AM
???
He's implying the valve "core", which is the same thing as "valve" and technically more accurate. The only other part to that piece would be the valve "stem" which is the thing that get's installed in the rim, and...well, that wouldn't fit the definition of a "valve".

I remove the valve core.

I thinks that's pretty much everyone's assumption.

Hard to believe somebody thinks we're talking about trying to inject sealant with the valve core still in there :bike: but whatever.

SPP

Tony
02-16-2021, 09:11 AM
Its really not possible to inject sealant with the valve core still in there, not happening.

benb
02-16-2021, 09:11 AM
The various injectors I've had over the years would never be able to inject through the valve core... you'd have to overcome the pressure of the valve spring.

The tube on the injector is just not made to handle anywhere near that pressure... the tube will pop off the syringe or off the threaded valve attachment..

It'd be a gigantic mess.

SlowPokePete
02-16-2021, 09:13 AM
Its really not possible to inject sealant with the valve core still in there, not happening.

Exactly.

Something I would think everybody knows.

SPP

93KgBike
02-16-2021, 05:20 PM
The liquids require removing the valve-core, that's true.

But there are 5 or 6 bike-specific pressurized sealants that inject through the valve core using a Schraeder/Presta adapter.

The valve core can become clogged, and removing it for cleaning is nbd.

bshell
02-16-2021, 10:16 PM
1)There is no spring in a Presta valve. It is held shut by air pressure.

2)You cannot get the "Race" formula with the fibers/chunks/whatever through a Presta stem(core removed). If you think you did you either don't have Race formula or all of your Race solids are at the bottom of your jug. It clogs immediately and repeatedly.

Bought that S! by mistake once.

nighthawk
02-17-2021, 02:03 AM
This was resolved 2 years ago when I originally posted. I injected the Race sealant (yes, I can read... it was Race) through the valve with the core removed (like I had intended when I first posted)... and had no issues with clogging. I don’t understand all the condescending and unhelpful comments. Mods please close this thread.