PDA

View Full Version : Silent rear hub?

radsmd
04-01-2019, 08:21 PM
I am so over the King Buzz. Looking for a silent free hub system that is reliable, easy to convert to the common standards (QR, 12x142), shimano/sram 11 speed compatible. 130 or 135 disc.

Any suggestions?

josephr
04-01-2019, 08:34 PM
How about a Shimano?

radsmd
04-01-2019, 08:38 PM
How about a Shimano?

Was looking forward to the tech from the xtr scylence hub, but they ended up scrapping it.

Current shimano is more quiet the CK, but I’m hoping for silent. Just for those times where you have sublime curvy not so fast descents that you just want to hear the slight wind noise and the sound that your tires are making with the ground.

radsmd
04-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Anybody have experience with Onyx hubs?

unterhausen
04-01-2019, 08:42 PM
I was going to mention Onyx. I have never felt that rich, but people really seem to like them. I am getting tired of the buzz from my Hope hubs, maybe I'll scrape together the money for an Onyx for my next build

zennmotion
04-01-2019, 08:58 PM
Was looking forward to the tech from the xtr scylence hub, but they ended up scrapping it.

Current shimano is more quiet the CK, but I’m hoping for silent. Just for those times where you have sublime curvy not so fast descents that you just want to hear the slight wind noise and the sound that your tires are making with the ground.

Agree that Shimano are about as quiet as they get IMO. CK are LOUD by comparison. I also think (untested opinion) that carbon rims resonate hub noises more than aluminum. For that matter carbon frames...

Cat3roadracer
04-01-2019, 09:19 PM
Onyx hubs on my steel Fortyfour. Try them, you will not go back. The instant engagement is amazing.

radsmd
04-01-2019, 09:38 PM
I have a set of recent campy record hubs that were really quiet. I need to break them open to see what grease was used. My other campy record hubbed wheels are still a little noisy.

false_Aest
04-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Onyx!

seanile
04-01-2019, 10:19 PM
My dt swiss 350s are reallly quiet, cant hardly hear em over any ambient road noise

radsmd
04-01-2019, 10:26 PM
My dt swiss 350s are reallly quiet, cant hardly hear em over any ambient road noise

Dt Swiss ratchet system is certainly more quiet than CK, but I wouldn’t call them really quiet.

I mostly ride solo and really enjoy it when I’m out there without any cars around, nothing other than the sound of nature. So I’m probably a bit more sensitive to sounds such as a rear hub freewheeling, brake rotor rubbing, chain noise or other drivetrain noise.

Thinking:

Steel frame and fork
Rim brake
Alloy rims
Smooth tread tires, prob tubular

Have most already, just need to decide on a rear wheel/hub.

Tickdoc
04-01-2019, 10:49 PM
Grease the **** out of a 240s hub ratchet and is pretty darn quiet.

happycampyer
04-01-2019, 11:37 PM
If you are ok with the weight, there really isn’t anything like Onyx hubs. Frictionless, silent, and instant engagement.

Tony
04-01-2019, 11:38 PM
Foss’ Zero Drag Hubs, dead silent

saab2000
04-02-2019, 02:16 AM
I'm with the OP in that I really can't stand noisy bikes. DT-Swiss hubs are not 'near silent' even when greased though I do find them quasi-acceptable.

For me, White Industries hubs are well within the acceptable noise range and are really reliable, at least in my experience. That said, the ones with the higher engagement points are a bit noisier.

SlowPokePete
04-02-2019, 03:15 AM
My White Ind XMR is definitely quieter than my King or I9 hubs.

SPP™

Gummee
04-02-2019, 09:13 AM
Silent hubs are easy: don't coast!

/problem

M

unterhausen
04-02-2019, 09:28 AM
I used the "don't coast" technique for a while on my 300km ride on Saturday. It got me thinking that maybe I want something different than a Hope for that bike.

fishwhisperer
04-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Another vote for Onyx. Use them on my 29er and like them much more than the Kings I use on another set. The sound of the tire gripping dirt is actually really useful for balance and line. Who knew?

d_douglas
04-02-2019, 11:01 AM
Anybody have experience with Onyx hubs?

I have a set on my MTB and theyre amazing. As for being easily convertible, I am not sure, as I bought in my required configuration and never investigated whether they can be changed out. Theyre not like DTSwiss though in terms of ease of changing things up.

That said, what about DTSwiss with a bit of extra grease? My DT350 commuter wheels aren't very loud.

yinzerniner
04-02-2019, 11:10 AM
Granted they're being compared to the absurdly loud previous Torch series but it's still a huge improvement, and wind noise seems to be louder than hub noise when actually riding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFhVy3H5gzg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWN_UCoc-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fp3eTcSx7w

MaraudingWalrus
04-02-2019, 06:48 PM
I build a medium amount of wheels, and Onyx are my absolute favorite hubs.

The sentiment that people have above of "try them and you won't go back" is more or less accurate. It's completely wild to be riding them offroad and all that you can hear is the noises of the knobs on the sides of the tire grabbing dirt, or to be riding some bonkers deep carbon wheels on the road and have them be dead silent. Instant engagement is beyond cool, too.

They are somewhat easily convertible - endcaps exist to swap back and forth between various standards - but I'm not sure the same hub will go from 130qr up to 12x142 TA. I do know some of their hubs are swappable from 135QR up to 12x142 TA.

Some of their slimmer hub shells are not swappable up to 15mm, so if you think you need that, you'll have to get the larger hub shells. Basically, if you think you might need 15mm front, get a MTB front rather than a CX front...

Onyx also has really solid programs for swapping hubshells out for those of a different color extremely cheaply (and moving your internals over to new hub shells) and a trade in program should you switch to some completely different hub that the inside bits aren't compatible.

They also do completely custom powdercoating from prismatic powders for about $100 a set, and they do free logo engraving on any hubshell. The logo has to be relatively small, but it's still a cool service.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190402/f72aeeaa03f16755d597bf61482639ac.jpg

FriarQuade
04-02-2019, 10:38 PM
If you are ok with the weight, there really isn’t anything like Onyx hubs. Frictionless, silent, and instant engagement.

Onyx hubs are definitely not "frictionless". Nothing is in reality but the Onyx hubs are middle of the pack at best in freehub related friction.

d_douglas
04-02-2019, 10:57 PM
Onyx hubs are definitely not "frictionless". Nothing is in reality but the Onyx hubs are middle of the pack at best in freehub related friction.

I agree that nothing is frictionless, but what hubs have less friction than Onyx?

To the OP - I commuted on my DT350 hubs today and they are really quite quiet. There’s not enough noise to bother you I would think.

My new 650b play wheels are Hope hubs - the other end of the noise spectrum ;):)

happycampyer
04-02-2019, 11:35 PM
Onyx hubs are definitely not "frictionless". Nothing is in reality but the Onyx hubs are middle of the pack at best in freehub related friction.Ok, ok, frictionless is an exaggeration, but they have very low drag. The engagement of the sprag clutch is amazing, and when it disengages, its silent. Very cool design.

vqdriver
04-03-2019, 01:36 AM
Nothings been close to 7700 for me. I'd look into shimano

12snap
04-03-2019, 05:31 PM
Another vote for Onyx. I have them on my mtn bike and I love the silence. My Novatec road wheels are really annoying.

velotel
04-04-2019, 12:05 AM
I've got the large shell black Record hubs and the back wheel has been silent for a few years now. Not sure what grease Sylvain used but whatever it is did the trick, total silence, which I love. Can't stand those noisy hubs. Riding next to someone with a hub like that is annoying.

FriarQuade
04-04-2019, 08:50 AM
I agree that nothing is frictionless, but what hubs have less friction than Onyx?

Project 321 hubs have an impressively low amount of drag, especially for something with high engagement. Shimano and Campagnolo both have really low drag but with pretty pedestrian engagement levels.

onetwentyeight
04-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Onyx hubs are phenomenal, they have a lighter version due to be released later this year for the weight weenies. I have two years on them and there is nothing quite like riding on a trail and hearing nothing but your tires on the trail. I haven't had to do any servicing to them whatsoever in that time, and thats with hundreds of rough off road miles. Great product, nice people.

I have some used 27.5" MTB wheels with the hubs in "black aura" (same as the walrus wheels above, It's an oil slick sparkle effect) for sale if anyone is interested. (carbon ibis rims, sapim cx rays) in both boost and standard.

oldpotatoe
04-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Dt Swiss ratchet system is certainly more quiet than CK, but I wouldn’t call them really quiet.

I mostly ride solo and really enjoy it when I’m out there without any cars around, nothing other than the sound of nature. So I’m probably a bit more sensitive to sounds such as a rear hub freewheeling, brake rotor rubbing, chain noise or other drivetrain noise.

Thinking:

Steel frame and fork
Rim brake
Alloy rims
Smooth tread tires, prob tubular

Have most already, just need to decide on a rear wheel/hub.

Record..either Campag9/10/11/12 or shimano 8/9/10/11...